Haig sent me - Turbo GL and Vood2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haig sent me - Turbo GL and Vood2

Haig sent me here from another forum as he informed me that the users on this forum had found a way to use the turbo gl drivers and the 3dfx Voodoo 2 cardd.

I currently use the Diamond Monster 3D II 12mb in SLI with a AGP G400 Max. I use the 5.25.013 Certified Drivers. I want to upgrade to the 5.3 with Turbo GL, but I don't want to lose the ability of my V2 in SLI.

Can anyone provide the guide map on how to work around this problem so I can use both cards. Any help is appreciated.

Tim Barnes
    President
    Barnes and Associates
    Matrox Solutions Provider
    Tim Barnes
    President
    Barnes and Associates

Hi Tim,

A few have been succesful in running the Turbo ICD with their V2 cards. The two that I've read about were using Creatives Drivers or Helios Brand V2 cards. I have a Quantum Obsidian2 X-24 on the D-Sub cable and the G400 MAX on a BNC cable and still have not found a way to get the Turbo ICD to work on my system.

You can use the 5.30.007 Driver without the Turbo ICD. When you install the 5.30 Drivers it will do a search for games to put the openGL.dll file(Turbo ICD) into and you can cancle this part and load the standard ICD instead.

If you want to try the Turbo ICD or it happens to load by accident you can always remove the openGL.dll file from your game directory to fix the lockups.

Here is a link to a Thread with more info on the Turbo ICD.
    http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/005105.html

Paul

------------------
    P3-616(112x5.5), ABIT BE6, 256MB PC100, MILL G400 MAX-32MB on BNC, Quantum3D Obsidian2 X-24 on D-sub, IBM Deskstars 18GB ATA/66 and 13.5GB ATA/66, 21"Trinitron, SCSI CDR/RW, SCSI ZIP,SB Live!Value,USR Voice Faxmodem Pro(USB Ext),Epson 1520 printer,Umax1200S scanner,WN98 all in a Addtronics 7896A case and a (Not so Messy Desk) ;-P

"Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I have my MAX in with my SLI(using creative's latest drivers) and I think I'm using the TurboGL. I answered yes to install it and it found Q3Test. I've run Q3 and had a 3fps jump between 5.25+beta ICD and 5.30+TurboGL on a PIII 550. This seems awfully low to me. If I was to have a problem between the V2s and the TurboGL, how do I know? Will it just not run or will I get almost no difference in frame rate like I'm getting now.

Comment

If you have a problem, it locks up the game just as the game seems to initialise OpenGL. Well, that is what happens to me with my dual Creative 12Mb SLI rig, running the latest 3dfx reference drivers [D3D disabled via PowerStrip].
        I think I'm going to try and alter the Voodoo² reference driver set so that only the Glide drivers are installed (that's all I want to use, now I have a G400 MAX) and see if that improves things.

Comment

I had a problem at first when I first installed the 5.3 drivers on my G400max in that I could only run Quake2 in a window...someone suggested that I remove the opengl32.dll from the dir and install the latest turbo icd in to my windows/system dir and everything worked fine after that.
          BTW I do have diamond voodoo2sli setup.

I now play Quake2 at 1280 res at 45 fps...can you beleave it
          I havn't tried Quake3 though since I removed it after downloading the UT demo.
          but I havn't had problems with the other Opengl games I have since doing the fix...(HL,TFC,Homeworld,UT, a few others I cant think of)

hope that helps

Comment

Well, altering the Voodoo2.inf file and re-installing the Voodoo² cards seemed to have done the trick, although the Voodoo² display property panel seems to be broken now. Oh well.
            If you are interested, I did the following mods. Remove these lines in these sections:-

[SourceDisksFiles]
            3dfxV2.DRV =1
            3dfx16V2.DLL =1
            3dfx32V2.DLL =1
            3dfxVGL.DLL =1

[Voodoo2.Copy]
            3dfxV2.DRV,,,2
            3dfx16V2.DLL,,,2
            3dfx32V2.DLL,,,2
            3dfxVGL.DLL,,,2

[Voodoo2.AddReg]
            HKLM,hardware\DirectDrawDrivers\472BEA00-40DF-11D1-A9-DF-00-60-97-C2-ED-B2,"Description",,"Voodoo2 DirectX 6 Driver"
            HKLM,hardware\DirectDrawDrivers\472BEA00-40DF-11D1-A9-DF-00-60-97-C2-ED-B2,"DriverName",,"3dfxV2"

And I changed the last line to this, to differentiate the drivers from the full set:-

[Strings]
            Mfg="3dfx Interactive, Inc."
            PCI\VEN_121A&DEV_0002.DeviceDesc="Voodoo2 3D Accelerator - No D3D"

You could also remove the reference to the display property panel, and avoid it installing, since it seems to not work without the main D3D drivers. Deleting the section [Voodoo2.AddControl] should do the trick (not tested though).

The best way to change the drivers is to remove the current Voodoo² cards from device manager, then delete all files that start with "3dfx" (ie. 3dfx*.*) in the WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory. Delete any INF file with reference to Voodoo² from the WINDOWS\INF directory (also check WINDOWS\INF\OTHER). Reboot, and when the Voodoo² card is detected, point Windows to the new, modified .inf file.
            [I personally use a TOUCH program to re-date the .inf file back to it's original date after modifying it, but that's not 100% necessary].

After doing this, you will NOT be able to use D3D on you Voodoo² card. I prefer this, since Dungeon Keeper 2 seems to always default to the Voodoo² card in the initial menu system: now it has to use the G400.
            You WILL be able to still use Glide.
            You WILL be able to use the TurboGL driver for your G400.

If in doubt, DO NOT try this procedure: just wait for 3dfx/Matrox to work around the driver conflict.

Comment

Profit:

You said to remove the opengl32.dll from my system directory and use the opengl32.dll provided by matrox.

If you do that aren't you disabling the Voodoo cards from handling applications not supported by the Turbo OpenGl drivers. For example, Shogo, since it is not supported by Turbo Gl, don't you hurt yourself be having removed the opengl32.dll. I guess I am wondering what have you lost be removing such a line. I still depend on my Diamond 2 12mb sli to power most games using Glide or wanting a high end api for special effects. So take for example, F16MRF. Since it depends (I know a patch enabled d3d - but lets say it didn't), what will happen when I try to run the game and the opengl32 drivers (which it doesn't use as far as I know, it is not an OpenGL program).

So then the question becomes, based on the adjustments you recommend, will I lose any of the features or advatanges of my Voodoo 2 SLI. I will of course be using my Max now for D3D as it is now the best choice.

Thanks,

Tim
              Tim Barnes
              President
              Barnes and Associates

Comment

Tim,

I think Profit meant to say from the <u>games's</u> directory. As Kruzin always pointed out, NEVER delete the <code>opengl32.dll</code> from the system directory. The miniGLs and other OGLs depend on it.

Good luck!

(BTW, I yanked out my old Creative Labs Voodoo&sup2; 12MB and left it in the store room and installed the TurboGL™. )

Thank god, I don't need GLide™ support.

------------------
                JamesA who BOLDs a LOT
                System Details

"Have you had any licorice lately?"

{Edits reason: Silly HTML mistakes. }

[This message has been edited by JamesA (edited 31 October 1999).]
                <b>JamesA</b>: Just a <b>Dumbass MURCer</b>

Comment

Working...
                X