Asus PCI Bus speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus PCI Bus speed

Does anybody out there running an Asus P2b board know how to change the PCI bus speed. I'm running a P2bls and Sandra reports my bus speed at 1/3. I'd like to change it to 2/3 but I can't find anything in the m/b manual about being able to change it. Is this one of the drawbacks of the P2b boards or am I missing something somewhere?? Thanx for any help.

Mickcar
    Mick

Okies...
    The P2B-LS never got a revision, so you are left with 66,75,83,100,103,112 and sometimes 133 FSB... and you'll have a 1/3 and 1/2 PCI divider...
    BUT You cannot select the PCI divider yourself, it is choosen by the FSB you have selected....

the ability to have other dividers other than 1/2 and 1/3 is a NEW developement, and since your board design is over a year old it wouldn't have these new features present in todays MoBo's...

I run my PCI bus at 41Mhz without problems, though it is highly dependant on what kinda HD you have and other cards you have in the board...

Craig
    1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

Isn't that the thing in PnP and PCI Setup in the BIOS? The PCI Latency Timer??
      It's set at 32, but you can adjust it higher or lower... try that, would be my guess.

Jorden.
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

Stringy - not true what you say about the P2B-LS NOT have newer revisions!!! It was originally released as rev. 1.02.Today the board has rev. 1.04. (1.04 dot).

------------------
        ASUS P2B-S, PII-350 (o/c to 412MHz), 128MB RAM, Cheetah 9.1 GB, Matrox Mill. G200SG, SB 64AWE, Plextor 32x CD-Rom, Sony CDU-924S CD-R, Canon BJC-7000 InkJet and Canon CanoScan 300 Scanner.
        ASUS P2B-S, PIII-550 (o/c to 565MHz), 512MB RAM, Seagate X15 & Cheetah XL, Matrox Mill. G200SG, SB LivePlayer, Plextor 32x CD-Rom, PlexWriter PX-R820T CD-R, Canon BJC-7000 InkJet, OkiPage 4W Laser and Canon CanoScan 300 Scanner.

Comment

I don't believe that the latency timer has much to do with PCI bus speed multiplyer numbers. I think latency is sort of like wait states. But maybe ,as you all like to say around here, I am talkin out my butt. I also don't believe there is a way to change PCI multiplyers on the P2B. I can run my celery at a FSB of 83 fine but that makes the PCI speed to high for my IDE controller. Specifically my 3.2gig Fujitsu UDMA HD. It gets really nasty errors in its FAT. (I think). Messed in the head anyway. I would like to do the higher oc as it really is fast like that but...

------------------
          AssuP2B ,iCeleron337, 128megs PC100, G40032megSH, Yamaha PCI sound, 2 small HD's, 42X Sony CDrom and 98SE w/shutdown patch, PD 5.30 w/beta ICD

AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

PCI Latency means a PCI Bus master device must release the bus after n cycles from the beginning of its holding on the PCI bus...

BX Chipset provides PCI divider 1/2, 1/3, and 1/4. However, current MBs use the integral clock generator to privde frequenies to CPU, Chipset, RAM modules, PCI, USB, and etc... So it also depends on the clock generator.

If you want to know more about clock generators, you can check out their SPEC from ICS, IC-Work, and Winbond's WEB sites...

------------------
            Celeron 300P@558/2.0v, P3B-F, G400DH/32MB
            P4-2.8C, IC7-G, G550

Comment

Vikingman -
              Okies.. it went up 2 tenths of a version.. what'd they do to it??
              Did they add the greater Bus speeds to it like they did with the Rev.1.10 of the P2b??? which is what we are conversing about...

Craig

[This message has been edited by Stringy (edited 31 October 1999).]
              1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

Working...
              X