Some Choppy Video with Matrix DVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Choppy Video with Matrix DVD

I keep getting what I would call "choppy video" playback in a few scenes with the Matrix. Basically, it's like losing resolution where things go choppy/blocky around characters at exactly the same scenes.

For instance, I get this blocky stuff around Trinity at the beginning when the cops barge in on her phone call. It occurs when she jumps on the wall dodging bullets.

It occurs again during the kung fu fight between Neo and Morpheus, when Morpheus traps Neo's kick and spins him. This blocky stuff happens to Neo when he's spinning.

I also get this when Neo and Trinity go to the building to rescue Morpheus. It occurs right when Neo starts to blow up the security guards. It gets choppy a bit around some of the security guards, if I recall correctly.

I think it also occurs when they're on top of the building fighting off the guards near the helicopter.

Anyway, this happens consistently at the same places. What could this be?

I've ran other DVDs like Heat and Excalibur without a problem. Heat, I believe, also has this dual layer stuff.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

---------------------

Windows 98SE
    AOpen AX6BC Pro Gold
    Cel 366 (@550)
    64 Megs PC100
    Matrox G400 Dual 32 Meg w PD5.30 (@119%)
    Sound Blaster Live!Value w Liveware 3.0
    Pioneer DVD3 6x

I just got the Matrix a couple of days ago.. No problems on my G400 MAX. what software you viewing it with?

Comment

Things do go blocky when they're fast changing/moving when compressed using MPEG. VideoCDs show this up more, and also you see it if you look at broadcasts over the internet. But this is the first I've heard of it with MPEG-2 on DVDs.

Any others got The Matrix on DVD who can check this?
      Is it a close-up have-a-look-with-a-magnifying-glass type thing?

------------------
      Cheers,
      Steve

"The chances of anything coming from Mars, are a million-to-one", he said.

Comment

James, Although I do see some jittering, I haven't seen this blockiness you refer to. I only checked out the first scene you mentioned with Trinity (have yet to sit down and watch the whole film) but I don't see any compression artifacts.

Using Matrox DVD 1.5.0.1113 (resource 1.5.22.1105) w/Cinemaster 2.0.35.6012 drivers

------------------
        • ASUS P2B-S, PIII 450MHz, Award ACPI BIOS v1010, 128 MB RAM
        • MYLEX FlashPoint RAID+ (BIOS v2.02N) running RAID 0 on two 9 GB IBM DDRS 39130D Disks
        • Diamond MX300 sound card, now with MX25 S/PDIF output
        • Matrox Millennium G400 Max Dual Head - English
        • NEC 5FG monitor
        • YAMAHA CRW4416S and NEC Multispin 3x CDs
        • 3Com Fast EtherLink XL 10/100Mb TX NIC
        • US Robotics 56K Voice FaxModem Pro
        • Pioneer DVD-303S SCSI
        • Note--All SCSI devices (except disk drives on RAID) are connected to onboard AIC7890 U2W SCSI
        • Mainly running Win98 v4.10.1998

[This message has been edited by xortam (edited 28 October 1999).]
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I dont have my G400 yet, but watching the Matrix through my DXR3, I get no Blockiness at all!

Comment

I spotted some blockiness in the first scene. I then shut down all extra programs and replayed the sceen several times. The blockiness was gone. My system normally plays fine but jitters in scenes with a lot of movement. control + alt + delete and make sure only explorer and systray are running then try it again. See if is any change.

------------------
            Matrox G400 32mb DH, K6-2/450, Epox MVP3G-M, WD 8.4gb, Pio 32x CDROM, LS-120, Adaptec 2940U2W, Yamaha CDRW4416, Pio DVD-303, Diamond S90, 3COM 3c509, HP 712c, HP 6200

Mine: Epox EP-8KTA3, Matrox G400 32mb DH + RRG, Athlon 1.2/266, 256mb, WD 30gb ATA100, Pio 32x CDROM, Adaptec 2940U2W, WD 18.3GB 10k U2W, Yamaha CDRW4416, Pio DVD-303, Scsi Zip 100, Seagate 10/20 Gb tape, SBlive platinum, Linksys 10/100 nic, HP 712c printer, HP 6200 scanner, Linksys 4port cable router, Linksys 2port print server/switch
            Hers: Epox EP-3VSA, G400 32mb SH, PIII 750, 256mb, WD 10gb, Pio 6x DVD, Zip 250, Diamond S90, Linksys 10/100 nic

Comment

mynx, How much memory do you have installed?
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Hey, I _had_ the exact same problems in the exact same places! Here's what I've tried/noticed:

Tried all combinations of region selector settings I could think of and it made no difference.

I do not have the problem on the 1.029 engine, but started getting it when I upgraded to 1.032 and also on 1.035.

Engine 1.036 seems to have fixed this for me.

Currently I am running engine 1.029 - the default that came with the card(since it lets me run when minimized - I use my TV/DVDMax for watching movies). The only region selector changes I have made from the default are to change the audio filter to #5, enable LFE, and to enable ProLogic decoding.

What engine/player are you using?

------------------
                -JD
                P3-600
                G400
                128MB
                Intel SE440BX2
                Win98
                -JD
                P3-600
                G400
                128MB
                Intel SE440BX2
                Win98

Comment

There's no doubt that image qaulity will always be more clear and sharp with a stand-alone decoder card(such as the drx2 or 3). Look closely at a still background and you'll see what I mean

------------------
                  Celeron 300A@464 2.0V, Abit BH6 G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A, Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster 32PNP

Celeron 566@877 1.8V, 256meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Comment

Thanks for all the responses.

I just tried the MatroxDVD player ant it took care of the "blockiness".

I was originally running the Matrix with the PCFriendly DVD player that comes with the DVD, which supposedly was designed to improve playback with PCs or some other bullshit. Obviously, it did not work for me.

It occured to me that I had no problems watching other DVDs with the MatroxDVD player. It was only when I switched to PCFriendly, which is bundled with the Matrix, that things buggered up... Last time I'll be using PCFriendly.

jd, is there any reason to switch to the 1.036, and if so where do I get it?

Also, is it necessary to switch the region selector or is it just changing the "audio channel" (excuse any misuse of termology here) to get ProLogic? I usually just pick the 6-channel audio selection to get surround sound. Doesn't that automatically enable ProLogic decoding? Am I missing something here? What's LFE?

Thanks.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses.

I just tried the MatroxDVD player ant it took care of the "blockiness".

I was originally running the Matrix with the PCFriendly DVD player that comes with the DVD, which supposedly was designed to improve playback with PCs or some other bullshit. Obviously, it did not work for me.

It occured to me that I had no problems watching other DVDs with the MatroxDVD player. It was only when I switched to PCFriendly, which is bundled with the Matrix, that things buggered up... Last time I'll be using PCFriendly.

jd, is there any reason to switch to the 1.036, and if so where do I get it?

Also, is it necessary to switch the region selector or is it just changing the "audio channel" (excuse any misuse of termology here) to get ProLogic? I usually just pick the 6-channel audio selection to get surround sound. Doesn't that automatically enable ProLogic decoding? Am I missing something here? What's LFE?

Thanks.

---------------

Windows 98SE
                      AOpen AX6BC Pro Gold
                      Cel 366 (@550)
                      64 Megs PC100
                      Matrox G400 Dual 32 Meg w PD5.30 (@119%)
                      Sound Blaster Live!Value w Liveware 3.0
                      Pioneer DVD3 6x

Comment

I used to get a similar problem when running Bad Boys or Dusk till Dawn, on my Panasonic DVD player, the problem seemed to stem from not having loaded the latest version of my bus mastering drivers for my Mobo, now works just as good as my Samsung 709.

K62 400
                        160mb PC100
                        GVC 1541 Mobo
                        Windows 98SE
                        WD 8.4gb
                        Matrox G400 32 d/h
                        PCI64 SndBlaster
                        Memorex 48x CDROM
                        Panasonic 6X/32X DVD
                        A-Trend Mobo 6240 V2
                        Custom Heatsink/Globalwinfan setup
                        128MB/PC133/PC100 Combo
                        I-Will Slocket2
                        PIII Coppermine 500e@690 FSB 138
                        Windows98SE
                        Matrox G400 32 D/H (Latest drivers)
                        Soundblaster 1024 Live @3.0 drivers
                        8.4 West Dig (ATA 33)
                        6.4 Fugitsu (ATA 66)
                        MS Intell/Explorer USB
                        Pioneer 6/32x DVD
                        Memorex 48X CD
                        Altec lansing Sub + 2 satelite speakers

Golden Orb (www.plycon.com) being installed soon

Old Joes's Going for IT!!!

Comment

128 mb. I have several TSRs do to the scanner and CDRW. I also have a few new ones that I think are from my new Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer, the one without a ball.
                          No more losing games because of the mouse, now I can lose because of my lack of skill.

------------------
                          Matrox G400 32mb DH, K6-2/450, Epox MVP3G-M, 128 mb PC 100, WD 8.4gb, Pio 32x CDROM, LS-120, Adaptec 2940U2W, Yamaha CDRW4416, Pio DVD-303, Diamond S90, 3COM 3c509, HP 712c, HP 6200

Mine: Epox EP-8KTA3, Matrox G400 32mb DH + RRG, Athlon 1.2/266, 256mb, WD 30gb ATA100, Pio 32x CDROM, Adaptec 2940U2W, WD 18.3GB 10k U2W, Yamaha CDRW4416, Pio DVD-303, Scsi Zip 100, Seagate 10/20 Gb tape, SBlive platinum, Linksys 10/100 nic, HP 712c printer, HP 6200 scanner, Linksys 4port cable router, Linksys 2port print server/switch
                          Hers: Epox EP-3VSA, G400 32mb SH, PIII 750, 256mb, WD 10gb, Pio 6x DVD, Zip 250, Diamond S90, Linksys 10/100 nic

Comment

Working...
                          X