G400 Max Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 Max Problems

After reading through almost 6 months worth of posts on this site I decided to post my own problem and see if someone could help with it.
    As many other people, I am having problems with my G400 max. At random times the screen fragments and horizontal lines begin to appear across the screen. Most of the responses to this problem dealt with IRQ's and such. I checked my IRQ's and sure enough my G400 is sharing an IRQ with my SoundBlaster AudioPCI 64V. They are sharing IRQ 11. Unfortunately, I have found that my sound card is not in a slot, but rather built into my motherboard. So I can't just move the soundcard to assign a new IRQ.

Does anyone know of any way that I can fix this?? Other than buying a new motherboard. I can't quite afford that yet.

I've contacted Matrox's support via email. But all they told me to do was to switch the slot that the soundcard was in. And haven't answered me since I told them I don't have a soundcard.

I'll post my IRQ's and system information just in case.

[IRQs]

0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 U.S. Robotics 56K Voice Win
    4 Communications Port (COM1)
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 Printer Port (LPT1)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    9 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    10 Realtek RTL8029 Ethernet Adapter and Compatibles
    10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    11 Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead - English
    11 Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI 64V
    11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    15 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    5 (free)

350 PII
    128 MB Ram
    Phoenix Bios - vs. 4.0 release 6.0

Please if anyone could help me I'd greatly appreciate it.

Hi,

Try to disable you're onboard audio hardware with a jumper or in Bios, look in you're manual how to do it or disable you're audio hardware in windows in device manager so it's not longer using the IRQ from the G400.

Then look if you're problems are gone, then we have more info to go from there if it is really a IRQ conflict.

Dennis

Comment

Try running your desktop in 32 bit color and see if you get the lockups.

------------------
      PIII550, Tyan S1832DL, 256 PC100 ECC, 2940U2W, Seagte Cheetah, G400-32, PLextor 8\20, Plextor 40Max, Pioneer 303s, SBLive!, MS FFPro, Altec Lansing ACS-48, Sony CDP 520GS
      PIII600EB, CC820, 256Megs, 2940U2W, Seagate Cheetah,G400-32 SH, Plextor 8\20, Plextor 40Max, SBLive!, MS FFPro, Altec Lansing ACS-48, Sony CDP 520GS

Comment

I don't know if this will help.

I have an Abit Bp6 with Awards Bios. In the PNP/PCI Config menu, there are two switches:

1. Assign IRQ for VGA : Enable
        2. Assign IRQ for USB : Enable

With this setting, my BIOS would forced-assign IRQ 10 to my USB which my SCSI card would also share, with IRQ 11 free. So I disabled "Assign IRQ for USB" in the BIOS and then Windows can assign IRQ 11 to my USB. Solved!

I don't kno if Phonex Bios has similar option, if it does, disabling "Assign IRQ to VGA" may help in your case!

Comment

in your bios, set irq 11 to isa/legacy, tell me where it sends your g400 after that
          jim

------------------
          PIII-500mhz @ 620 ! with an Abit BE6 mobo
          128mb pc-100
          Mill G400 (YAHOO!!!) 32mb @ 165/205 with MGATweak), PD 5.30 & bios 1.5-22
          Maxtor 14.3 gb Uata66 hdd
          SB Live!
          Winblows 98se & DX7
          32 lbs. of fans, heatsinks and aluminum ductwork
          3DMark Result 5954.69 3DMarks
          Synthetic CPU 3D Speed 9325.69 CPU 3DMarks
          Rasterizer Score 2791.72 3DRasterMarks
          Game 1 - Race 65.07 FPS
          Game 2 - First Person 54.89 FPS
          Fill Rate 268.79 MTexels/s

System 1:
          AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
          Epox 8K7A
          2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
          an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
          SBLIVE 5.1
          Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
          IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
          Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
          3Com Hardware Modem
          Teac 20/10/40 burner
          Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Thanks so much for all the help so far. I went through each of your ideas and did what I could with them.

First off. I was able to disable my Audio in my bios. Once I did this, my IRQ's looked like this.

0 System timer
            1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
            2 Programmable interrupt controller
            3 U.S. Robotics 56K Voice Win
            4 (free)
            5 (free)
            6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
            7 (free)
            8 System CMOS/real time clock
            9 Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead - English
            9 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
            10 (free)
            11 Realtek RTL8029 Ethernet Adapter and Compatibles
            11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
            13 Numeric data processor
            14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
            14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
            15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
            15 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller

And I was unable to make the screen mess up. I tried doing all the things that used to make it mess up. Starting a saved game in Thief was a good one. About 1/8 times it would start correctly.

So, I'm pretty sure that the problem lies within the IRQ sharing. So I went into trying to get differing IRQ's with my soundcard and the G400.

I still cannot figure out how to do this. I am using the newest version of PhoenixBios. The only options I have for forcing IRQ's is the Available and Reserved (or something to that effect, can't remember the exact wording) I do have an option to limit IRQ sharing to 3 irqs, 2 irqs, 1 irq, or auto. However, anything but Auto just ends up putting more on the video/sound IRQ.

If anyone has any idea how I could force the IRQ for the AGP slot to differ from the IRQ for the integrated sound card, PLEASE help me, before I find out how far I can punt this card.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Comment

Hello.

I have had the same prob. myself.
              I found that disable the "Plug and Pray aware OS" helped alot. If this does not help, try moving your PCI cards to an empty slot or just switch place.
              There is also another setting in your BIOS, "Reset Configuration Data". Try Enabled and pray for M$ Bill:s Bless .

/Rimfaxe

Comment

The biggest problem is with the G400 sharing an IRQ. Get the G400 on an IRQ by itself and of 9 or higher. If you don't need USB or that second unused COM port try disabling them to free up some IRQs.

Joel
                Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Working...
                X