128 sd 100
    Sb live Value (retail), liveware 3.0
    Matrox G400 32mb agp Dual ,Directx 7
    creative DXR2 decoder
    ethernet.
    pci SCSi card
    ISA scsi card
    win 98 SE

since ive purchased my new G400, i get an occassional lock up.. it happens at least once a day.. randomly. usually when im barely using the video card.. usually.. surfin, or burning a cd.. , icq'ing. or even when its just idling.

i have no idea what can be wrong.. im goin nutz..

i need some suggestions.

Adam

------------------
    SPEED , POWER, DUAL Monitors!!!.. heaven
    SPEED , POWER, DUAL Monitors!!!.. heaven

This Seattle business is news to me, but apparently it's a known problem.

The standard checklist is as follows

Completely uninstall Matrox drivers and all drivers from previous videocards. Check registry. Check device manager while in safe mode, just in case.

Upgrade G400 BIOS.

Uninstall drivers and reseat board. Give it a bit of a push. Make sure it's in there.

Make sure your G400 is not sharing IRQ resources with anything but PCI steering. (Obviously, not your problem.)

Upgrade SB Live drivers to 2.1 or higher. (May or may not be the problem. See below.)

Disable all video shadowing in BIOS.

Update 3Com NIC drivers, if appropriate, to "stripped down" drivers on 3Com's website.

Increase AGP aperture in BIOS to 256K.

Determine if your power supply is a piece of junk.

Test your G400 in another system if possible.

O.K. I'm not suggesting you try this until we have clarification regarding the SE440BX, but Dennis claimed to have had problems on three different systems with his Matrox boards and the Soundblaster Live: problems he claims may have been caused by early SB Live drivers, even after they were uninstalled. He solved the problems by formatting his boot drive and reinstalling
    Windows with the updated Live drivers.

I suggest waiting before doing anything drastic, however, since I read today, for the first time and without clarification or verification, that Matrox believes there are issues with the G400 and the Intel Seattle motherboard. I have no idea if Rev. 2 is a part of this, what those issues might be, etc.

Good luck.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Try it in 32 bit color mode and see if you still have the freezes. It fixed mine.
      PIII600EB, CC820, 256Megs, 2940U2W, Seagate Cheetah,G400-32 SH, Plextor 8\20, Plextor 40Max, SBLive!, MS FFPro, Altec Lansing ACS-48, Sony CDP 520GS

Comment

yeah, there must be some devices sharing IRQ's in there...

Comment

Working...
        X