No announcement yet.

Linux. Alternative Lifestyle or not???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux. Alternative Lifestyle or not???

Maybe I should be posting this in the Alternative Lifestyle section, but it doesn't seem too popular nowadays...

Many are mentioning that Matrox is missing the boat by not supporting Linux, or at least not taking a step forward to do so. Hope they'll be present next week... http://www.alternativelinux.com/en/
    It's taking place in their hometown...

You gonna be there Jazz?

BTW, what is "Plant and Landscape Ecology"?

You disceting moths or butterflies?

Ciao

Comment

I don't know if I'll be there. I'll try. I have to find out if my boss will give me the time off first. He's kind of tough on that...

As for moths and butterflies (they're different you know - Zwisch gave me a nice explanation last week), well no. But if you want to know more about ecological patterns in different types of landscapes, pathology and physiology, I'd be glad to tell you more.

J

Comment

Matrox have some of the best support under Linux and have for a long time. While they don't develop themselves they have been quick to release specs allowing opensource drivers to be developed, just go take a look at the GLX project and see what they have to say about Matrox.

Comment

Have to agree Ant, MAtrox have improved a lot w.r.t linux - but their cards have always been well supported by Linux cos of their speed - and thus the desire of Linux peeps to have a fast GFX card.

Perhaps Matrox also note the 'imminent explosion' factor of Linux (dont believe it myself - and in many ways dont want to see it).

bert (the really techy one in the corner with the great web page) http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~rl/
          G400 32 D/H, PIII650@840, ABIT-BE6II, MX300

Comment

beg your pardon Jazz?

I never gave you any explanations on moths or butterflies... I know what they are but this certainly did not come from me... You must be mistaken... Don't take this wrong but i have better things to do that talk about biology and ugly insects....

Comment

Sorry Zwisch...
              You're right. It wasn't you it was some other biologist dude : armyworm. Oh and by the way, not all insects are ugly...

Comment

damn right! If you look at them properly I find that they are all splendid... so much complexity and adaptation... how can one say that they are ugly?

Ben

Comment

Apologies accepted Jazz..

Sorry armyworm, I do not share your point of view on this... but then again this might be why you work with them and I don't!

Comment

Just dragging this thread back to Linux for a second. If anyone's interested in dabbling with this OS, try out http://www.winlinux.net or http://www.phatlinux.com . They're both installations which run ontop of a FAT filesystem - no repartitioning of your harddrive!

Winlinux mounts its own filesystem ontop of FAT and so I found a little slow, but PhatLinux uses FAT as its FS and is much better.

------------------
                    Cheers,
                    Steve

"The chances of anything coming from Mars, are a million-to-one", he said.

[This message has been edited by SteveC (edited 28 October 1999).]

Comment

Matrox not supporting Linux, huh? John Carmack, the Doom/Quake mac-daddy himslef is helping write the GLX code for Matrox cards. He has said on many occasion that he is impressed with Matrox and has made many changes to the GLX drivers for Linux personally. I have read interviews where he has applauded Matrox for being the first major video card maker to release full device detail so people could write the opensource drivers for the G-series of accelerators. Now if Mr. Carmack likes Matrox under Linux, shouldn't you?

Jammrock
                      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I do not recommend winlinux on a FAT32 partition, it doesn't work right. There is even a warning that FAT32 support is still in alpha stage. When I tried it, it renamed my windows directory saying it was corrupt (it wasn't) and I had to rename it back before I could load windows again.

Comment

Jammrock.
                          Now I never said I didn't like Matrox cards under Linux... Just adding a little pressure...
                          Notice I put a happy face and not in the original thread.
                          Ciao
                          J

Comment

Phat linux is cool - installed it a couple of hours ago - G400 support out of the 'box'. Just trying to work out how to make my NIC work and then onto the SBLive!.

------------------
                            Cheers,
                            Steve

"The chances of anything coming from Mars, are a million-to-one", he said.

Comment

SteveC,

Do you have the beta drivers for the SBLive! in Linux?
                              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                              X