Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Coppermine 733 beats the Athlon 700???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Coppermine 733 beats the Athlon 700???

And rightly it should considering it is running at a higher clock speed. But what is disappointing is by actually how little it is beating the Athlon considering the higher clock speed and the fact that it is suppose to be the best thing since sliced bread.

www.aceshardware.com/Spades/read.php?article_id=84

Joel
    Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
    Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Its biggest advantage over the Athlon is likely to be reduced heat due to a smaller die.

------------------
    Dean
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PDP-11, Dec-writer & ZD-11 Terminal Unit, RSTS-OS

PDP-11, Dec-writer & ZD-11 Terminal Unit, RSTS-OS

Comment

Funny thing is, that coming in the near future we will start seeing Athlons with higher speed cache (and eventually full speed on die cache), and optimized cache. Once Athlon gets this, those two benchmarks where the P3 actually nudged the Athlon, it will smoke the P3...And the saga continues. Hell, this is cool, we are going to see some powerfull stuff this next year. The Millenium Bug everyone has been talking about must in reality be a sickness that will affect people to go out and buy all of this new, more powerful hardware.

Rags

Comment

and if I read correctly, the review was based off an OVERCLOCKED intel cpu ta boot....LOL
        i love it they frown on overclocking unless it is to thier advantage.....gotta love it!

-Dil
        Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

you kinda wonder how much this chip will cost.

Even if it's cheap the ram and the Mobo aren't gonna be.

cheers,
          Elie

Comment

I just want to be absolutely clear on something. The 700 MHz Coppermine *will* run on a BX motherboard with a 100 MHz FSB, right?

I've seen so many conflicting claims.

Paul
            paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Paul CS, my understanding is that the 700 will sit on the 100MHz bus, and 733 will be on the 133.

the 800MHz mark will be the end of the line for 100MHz bus chips, as the 8x multiplier is the maximum currently supported. But with 133 the potential is there to go all the way up to 1064MHz (1GHt)

700/133 = 5.25 nope, that ain't gonna work
              733/133 = 5.5
              800/133 = 6
              866/133 = 6.5
              933/133 = 7
              1000/133 = 7.5
              1064/133 = 8 (this the end of the line for the 133Mhz bus, not considering overclocking)
              Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

Ill take one of each

Comment

But think of all those Rambus modules you'll have to buy!

I was clear on the bus speed, although there is a big honkin' typo in the Sharky Extreme review. I was wondering if most BX boards, as opposed to i820 and i810, support the 700 and 800 MHz Coppermine chips?

I checked AOpen's website since posting, and they state certain revisions of their BX boards will support Coppermine's running at 100 MHz. Documentation for some of the latest Asus BIOS updates also indicate Coppermine support.

I'd really like to upgrade my processor without upgrading my motherboard. I bought a lot of PC100 RAM when it was cheap, and I'd like to avoid the Rambus upgrade for as long as possible.

AMD dropped prices on the 700 MHz Athlon and I've noticed 600 MHz PIII's for under $500.00 on Pricewatch. That would be the cheapest, simplist upgrade path, but I fear I'll have MHz-envy if I get a PIII 600, and all the hardware sites are benchmarking on 700 and 733 MHz processors.

Paul
                  paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

... and what about the Coppermine P3-800 ???

Look here:

------------------
                    Cheers,
                    Maggi

Working Rig:
                    Asus P2B-DS @ 103MHz FSB
                    Double Pentium III-450 @ 464 MHz
                    4 x 128MB CAS2 SDRAM
                    Matrox Millennium G400 32MB DualHead
                    Nokia 445Xi (21")
                    Nokia 447Xpro (17")

Home Rig:
                    Asus P2B-S Bios 1010 @ 112MHz FSB
                    Celeron 300A @ 504MHz
                    2 x 128MB CAS2 SDRAM
                    Matrox Millennium G400 32MB DualHead @ 150/200MHz
                    CTX VL710T (17")
                    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                    LG BH10LS38
                    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Have you read the review of Tom Pabst? That guy has a really hard time to not be biased. His reviews are good, but I'm not interested in his biased thoughts. (Read: too positive about nVidia and AMD)

Secondly he questions why the new PIII needs the i820 to score so high. You can just as well ask the same thing about the Athlon. Looking at the Quake III scores the Athlon and PIII now score equal, because both SSE and 3DNow! are supported.

If I remember correctly, 3DStudio Max has 3DNow! support. No wonder that the score of the Athlon there is much higher than the new PIII on an old BX chipset motherbord.

Comment

What you need is one of Abit's new boards (BF6 or BE6-II) and their 200Mhz FSB support! Do 8x200 on those babies! (Good luck in finding RAM that'll run at 200mhz and I seriously doubt the BX chipset will like that....

------------------
                        Cheers,
                        Steve

"The chances of anything coming from Mars, are a million-to-one", he said.

Comment

That's actually what I mean Maggi. The Coppermine at 800Mhz on a 133Mhz FSB is only beating the Athlon 700Mhz on a 100Mhz FSB by 7fps. And when you look at the total cost of upgrading will it be worth it for only 7fps at 640x480x16bit?

Joel
                          Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                          Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

I hope that AMD will survive, because when it stops existing, it will probably be over with low prices for intel chips.

Only problem I see for the near feature, is the Itanium (I liked Merced better). As one of the few developers left, which know assembly language, I see that the architecture of that chip is very, very promising.

Although AMD is working on a new high performance chip, I see two problems:
                            1) AMDs chip will launch much later than the Itanium. By the time it launches, the second generation Itanium will be out.

2) It is a 64 bit expansion on the x86 architecture, which wasn't designed with massively parallelity in mind. The Itanium architecture however is.

Comment

I don't know about your 1st point there - I remember reading that AMD have canned the plans for a newly designed K8 - 64bit from the ground up - because it was taking too long. What they're now doing is just modifying the K7's designs to make it 64bit or something similar.

------------------
                              Cheers,
                              Steve

"The chances of anything coming from Mars, are a million-to-one", he said.

Comment

Working...
                              X