Will High FSB fry my G400?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will High FSB fry my G400?

I have a c400@564, FSB 94MHz, AGP 1/1, will this high FSB (or above) fry my G400Max? (It seems to work fine, but I don't want to smell burning silicon when I am playing games later on)

Thanks!!

You can run it at that speed, but I would force AGP 1x multiplier. 2x multiplier would be 188mhz for the agp bus and MAX, which os considerably over what I've seen it running at. 133mhz is normal 2x and lots of people run at ~160 (80 mhz agp).
    Or you can always drop your agp multiplier to 1/2 and set to 2x transfers instead, which is peobably the best thing to do.

Comment

My MoBo bios only support AGP 1/1 or 2/3. If I switch to 2/3 and AGP 2x, it'll become 126 Mhz which is underclocking. But i guess that's the way to go if I "love" my card that much.

Comment

Currently my P3-450 is o.c. to 558, using a 124 FSB. I have my AGP set to 2/3, so the default AGP bus speed is now 82 2/3 Mhz. My Max is operating just fine in 2x mode, which, BTW, doesn't involve doubling the bus speed. It just allows the card utilize both edges of the signal curve for data(think 2 ops per Mhz). Theoretically, my card is bus overclocked, but I haven't had any problems so far. If I can get enough cooling in my case, I may even try for 133 FSB (600Mhz P3, 88 2/3 Mhz AGP).

Good luck with your setup, K4.

------------------
        Ace

[This message has been edited by Ace (edited 26 October 1999).]
        "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
        Gainward Ti4600
        AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

One other thing- if what I've read so far is correct, the card will automatically "fall back" to 1x AGP if it starts getting AGP data transfer errors in 2x. So you shouldn't need to manually set the multiplier unless you experience some of the other kinds of errors reported by users in other posts in these forums (lockups / game GPFs mostly).

------------------
          Ace
          "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
          Gainward Ti4600
          AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Thanks ACE, for your input regarding the AGP bus. (I always thought AGP 2x means doubling AGP bus speed and Transfer rate).

So I guess what I'll do is to check if Sandra tells me the card is forced back to AGP 1x. If it is running at 2x, with no noticable error @ FSB 94, i shouldn't do anything. Right?

Comment

except enjoy!
              and maybe a <FONT SIZE=8>FAN</FONT> or two
              jim

------------------
              PIII-500mhz @ 620 ! with an Abit BE6 mobo
              128mb pc-100
              Mill G400 (YAHOO!!!) 32mb @ 165/205 with MGATweak), PD 5.30 & bios 1.5-22
              Maxtor 14.3 gb Uata66 hdd
              SB Live!
              Winblows 98se & DX7
              32 lbs. of fans, heatsinks and aluminum ductwork
              3DMark Result 5954.69 3DMarks
              Synthetic CPU 3D Speed 9325.69 CPU 3DMarks
              Rasterizer Score 2791.72 3DRasterMarks
              Game 1 - Race 65.07 FPS
              Game 2 - First Person 54.89 FPS
              Fill Rate 268.79 MTexels/s

System 1:
              AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
              Epox 8K7A
              2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
              an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
              SBLIVE 5.1
              Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
              IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
              Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
              3Com Hardware Modem
              Teac 20/10/40 burner
              Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

That brings up another question of mine. The G400 Max COOLING FAN..

I touched the underside of my G400 (right at the spot where the chip) after some 3D game and found it quite hot! (Not "burning" hot which I have to pull my finger, but rather just slightly cooler than touching a glass of hot coffee. (hmm.. bad analogy). Anyways, the FAN is a good idea, but I found the so-very-thin heat sink quite insufficient in terms of conducting heat.

They should use the nicely-finned heatsink in the G400 (Regular) and mount it on the Max with the Fan.

Comment

You can always put a low-profile wide heatsink on the back of the MAX where the core chip is located. One of my friends actually did this with thermal tape and can o/c it more due to the added heat dissipation, and the fact that his cpu fan blows across this added heatsink.
                  This does violate the agp board spec for design spacing, but who cares since there are no cards that go behind it!

Comment

Has anyone had the G400 MAX 32mb card running with a P3 450 @ 630mhz.This is using a fsb speed of 140mhz so its pushing the envelope slightly.I have an Abit BE6 mobo and the cpu is being cooled down to 24 deg c with an ALPHA heatsink and fans combo.My previous cpu was a P2 350 and I was using 133mhz fsb and getting 468mhz out of it,The G100 Productiva 8mb card that I was using at the time was quite happy running at this speed!!!!............So if anybody has had the balls to go this high "140fsb" please post a reply as I would really like to get a matrox card again coz they ROCK!! {;o)

Comment

Hey.. send me some 133RAM and I'll try.. my pc100 ram won't go further than 133
                      The Ram prices are a little to high for me to buy any.. so I'm waiting..

------------------
                      --
                      System:
                      P3-450@600, G400MAX, 24 Gigs of drives, 128 RAM, SBLive!
                      --
                      System:
                      P3-450@600, G400MAX, 35 Gigs of drives, 256 RAM, SBLive!

Comment

Working...
                      X