No announcement yet.

G400MAX + ASUS P2B-F + Win98 = TROUBLE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400MAX + ASUS P2B-F + Win98 = TROUBLE!

Hoping someone can help....

I've got a lot of similar problems to previous posts, but slightly different H/W config. So far, nothing has worked.

System: ASUS-P2B-F (BIOS 1010; latest), Celeron 300A (@464), 128MB PC100, Win98, Creative AWE32, IDE HDD, IDE CD-ROM, IDE CD-Writer, and USB scanner. No IRQ conflicts.

Problems:

1. Expendable won't run... Any res over 640-480 gives memory error, and res under 640-480 dumps me back to Windows. CD is in drive, and have tried apertures from 32 to 256.

2. TechDemo won't run above 640x480. Trying F8 in demo results in blank screen, adjusting in .cfg file causes demo to crash.

3. Win98 shutdown causes system lockup after Norton Anti-Virus scans A-drive. Screen goes black, with matrix of white dots, and a blinking cursor near the center bottom.

Those are the problems..... Have tried latest drivers, latest BIOS, no change.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Dave...

Hi,

I have pretty much the same HW config as yours with the main exception being my processor (PII450) and sound card. I have none of the above problems. I had an intermittent shutdown problem but it went away with the patch from Microsoft. Does it make a difference if you bring your system back down to 300? What card (if any) did you have installed prior to the MAX?

J

Comment

Does latest drivers include Direct X 6 or above?

Have you tried scaling back on the O/C?

Disable programs running in background except for the two you need, Explorer and Systray?

What vid card was in there before, all old drivers removed?

In safe mode take a look in device manager under Display adapters and Monitors and make sure you have only one video card and one monitor listed. Delete any others.

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 24 October 1999).]
      MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
      Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
      512MB regular Crucial PC2100
      Matrox P
      X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
      LianLiPC70

Comment

In answer to questions:

- Running DirectX-7 (also tried 6.1).
        - Tried dropping processor back to 300MHz.
        - Tried disabling all programs except Explorer & Systray.
        - Previous card was Matrox Millennimu PCI. All drivers and software removed, all other video configs in registry removed.

Jazz, you mentioned a patch from Microsoft? Which patch are you referring to?

Thanks again,
        Dave...

Comment

Hi,

I don't know the exact link. I went the lazy way and opted for windows update off my start bar...
          If you can`t find it I'll try to get the link for you.

J

Comment

Jazz, are you referring to the Windows Updates site? If he clicks on it, he will go straight there.

Usually the ASUS P2B-F combo is problem free. Are you at AGP X 1 or X 2? Can try at X 1 and see if that helps. Read some posts about DMA being disabled helping, though that will slow your system down some.

Did you try disabling bus mastering?

No IRQ conflicts but are you sharing one with the G400? Sometimes that will cause problems.

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 24 October 1999).]
            Matrox P
            LianLiPC70

Comment

Just tried the Windows update site...

Nothing there except for Internet Explorer security fixes.

No driver or other Windows components updates are listed, so I guess that's a dead end.....

Comment

I have tried disabling Bus Mastering...

I've been looking all over for the AGP1x vs. AGP2x, and can't find it anywhere... (Maybe I'm blind)...

Where should I be looking for the AGP1x vs 2x, and how can I change it?

Comment

Complete IRQ for those interested is:

0 System Timer
                  1 Keyboard
                  2 Programmable int. controller
                  3. COM2
                  4. COM1
                  5. Creative AWE-32
                  6. FDC
                  7. LPT1
                  8. System CMOS
                  9. Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB
                  10. IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
                  11. IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
                  11. Matrix Millennium G400 DualHead
                  12. PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
                  13. Numeric Data Processir
                  14. Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master
                  14. Primary IDE Controller (dual fifo)
                  15. Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master
                  15. Secondary IDE Controller (dual fifo)

Comment

Your not blind, need a utility to get it like Si Soft Sandra. Standard version is free, DL here http://www.sisoftware.demon.co.uk/sandra/start.htm

You would look under Mainboard Information, AGP Bus.
                    Matrox P
                    LianLiPC70

Comment

The patch I was mentioning for the shutdown issue is for the second edition of 98 only.
                      As for agp 1x and 2x you can try forcing it in the registry with the tweak available on MURCs front page.

Comment

I see IRQ10 has a PCI holder, but nothing else listed on that IRQ. This could indicate a left over driver that shouldn't be there.

Boot into safe mode, and check your device manager there. Look for any duplicate entries, or listings of hardware that's not really in the machine any more. Remove all duplicate and errant devices if you find any. Look in all areas of device manager, but especially in the video and monitor sections. If there where duplicates/errants, remove your G400 and monitor as well, then boot back into normal mode, and reinstall the needed drivers...
                        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

One more thing about your IRQs is that you have no IRQ holder for your USB controller.
                          Is the problem the same without your scanner?

Comment

Oops...

Actually, I missed the USB port when I copied the IEQ list.... List should include

10. Intel 82371AB/EV PCI to USB

I've gone into Dev. Mgr. in Safe Mode and found no 'extra' entries. I blew away my video card entry, ran the Matrox uninstall, ran MicroSoft RegClean, and re-installed the drivers, and no change.... That IRQ holder on 11 is still there.

I'm just in the process up d/loading the lateset version of Sandra to look at the AGP setting.

Are the Reg Hacks for AGP settings, etc still applicable with the latest drivers?

Also, 2 registry questions...

1. My Display/0000/DEFAULT/Mode shows "16,640,480". Is this normal?
                            2. There's no DirectX entry under Display/0000/Settings. Shouldn't there be one?

[This message has been edited by dwood (edited 24 October 1999).]

Comment

Just checked Sandra for the AGP state....

Currently set at 2x.

I'll try downshifting to 1x, and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                              X