System.ini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System.ini

In system.ini under the [boot.description] heading should the G400 be listed because mine says:

display.drv=Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA)

Is this correct or could it be the cause of some of my problems? i.e some games hanging and card not being recognized by others.

M

Hi,

Yep, your Millennium G400 should be listed there. Have a look in safe mode in the device manager and see what you have listed under display adapters (and monitor).

J

Comment

Always be sure to remove any older drivers from your system... Safe mode keeps track in it's device manager of all drivers still present... so if more than one you might be better to remove them all and start over to be sure to only have your G400 listes... As Jazz pointed out, same thing applies to monitors...

Comment

In safe mode only the matrox is listed, same for teh monitor. I finally found some drivers for my monitor today and installed them, stopped DK2 hanging but some games still won't start.

I've cleared every reference I could find to the voodoo 3 I had in there even down to registry level - still no joy. Using latest drivers for the matrox, running at agp x1, no difference wether bus mastering is on or off. Getting frustrated

M

Comment

Hi,

What are your system specs? Mobo, processor, IRQs etc. How about TSRs?

J

Comment

System:
            Gigabyte GA-5AX (rev 4)mb (ALi Chipset)
            K6-2 400Mhz
            128meg sdram (100Mhz) 2x 64meg dimms
            G400 Millennium 32meg (not the max)
            Sound Blaster Awe64 Gold
            Realtek network card (isa)
            Lucent chipset modem (pci)
            Lucky Goldstar 24x cd-rom
            and 2 quantum fireball 12.7gig hd's

o/s - Win 98

IRQ's:
            0: System timer
            1: Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
            2: Programmable interrupt controller
            3: Communications Port (COM2)
            4: Communications Port (COM1)
            5: Creative AWE64 Gold 16-bit Audio (SB16 compatible)
            6: Standard Floppy Disk Controller
            7: Printer Port (LPT1)
            8: System CMOS/real time clock
            9: IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
            9: MDP7800-U Modem
            10: Realtek RTL8019 PnP LAN adapter or compatible
            11: IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
            11: Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead - English
            12: PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
            13: Numeric data processor
            14: ALi Bus Master PCI to IDE Controller
            14: ALi Primary IDE controller (Ultra DMA)
            15: ALi Bus Master PCI to IDE Controller
            15: ALi Secondary IDE controller (Ultra DMA)

TSR's - friend told me this is anything in my autoexec.bat and config.sys, so if tis isn't what you meant.. (I'm learning slowly)

Config.sys:
            device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
            Country=044,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys

Autoexec.bat
            mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
            mode con codepage select=850
            SET PATH=C:\PERL\BIN;"%PATH%"

I've flashed my bios to the latest patch from gigabyte, I got hold of Sandra when i read another post which told me i didn't even have bus mastering so i got the patch for that and installed it. Looking at the mb manual i don't think i can even get agp x2 - In the bios i set AT bus clock to 'CLK 2/3' it won't go any lower but sandra tells me agp is x1 - Video bios shadow is disabled, i can't find any reference to video cache.

M

[This message has been edited by Morkai (edited 24 October 1999).]

Comment

Hi,

I don't know if you've done this or not but you definitely need the agp driver from ALI. Try version 1.60 http://www.ali.com.tw
              It's in their driver section.
              J

Comment

Hi,

I almost forgot..
                TSRs is for Transit Stay Resident or something like that. If you do ctrl-alt-del it will tell you all the programs running in the background...

J

Comment

Yep added that patch for agp as well.

Terminate and Stay Resident programs - i knew that much but never completely figured exactly what it was - okay here's the list:

Explorer
                  Rnaapp
                  Pdesk
                  Point32 (i'm guessing my intellieye mouse)
                  Systray
                  Imgicon

Comment

I guess the main question is how do i get the setting in system.ini to change? can i just overwrite it? or will that confuse teh hell outa my system? - Or is that just the indication of a bigger problem?

Just remembered, my system has a habit of crashing with a blue screen indicating a problem with VXD bios - now i know VXD is something to do with the virtual drivers - dunno if that sheds any light....

Some crashes i know are to do with the fact my comp thinks it's net connection is on a LAN due to using the Intel Internet Station when I'm at my parents place and then confusing it by using a dial up when i'm at home. Other times it just decides to do random reboots or most recently apart from the blue screens the display just vanishes, and the whole machine locks up.

I love my computer...honest I do..all I want to do is play EverQuest and write websites. Trouble is it seems to hate me, sometimes I swear it's sentient *grin*

M

[This message has been edited by Morkai (edited 24 October 1999).]

Comment

I just found the same thing in my system.ini. I wouldn't have even looked except for this thread. It's weird to say the least. I'm gonna screw around my computer and see if I can get it to change. If I do, I'll let you know how.

Cmag

------------------
                      Consequences smonsequences, as long as I’m rich
                      Consequences smonsequences, as long as I’m rich

Comment

I double checked and I do have :

display.drv=Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead - English

Comment

Now I know this is a long shot but in your system.ini do you have a folder called mga.drv? IF so what does it list.
                          Another long shot. In the registry under H_Key Local Machine/system/Current control set/services/class/display
                          do you have 0000 and 0001 or just 0000?
                          Did you do a complete uninstall and reinstall of your drivers yet?

Comment

I have no idea what to think of this problem since it is the first time that I hear of such an issue... not somewhere we usualy go play...

Frankly if this was my computer, I would try the following :

- remove the Matrox drivers with the uninstaller
                            - when rebooting, go in safe mode and make sure that you have no display section in your device manager... ditto for monitors.
                            - upon detection of the card when rebooting, select the install.inf located in the unziped folder of the latest G400 drivers that you will have downlaoded...

Before you do this... in your resitry under : HKey Local Machine/System/Current Control Set/Services/Class/Display ... how many folders do you have? should be something like 0000 aand/or 0001 in theory you should only have 0000

Z

Comment

d'oh! Jazz beat me to the registry settings!! I must be getting to slow with my old age

Comment

Working...
                              X