Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM Aptiva vs. Matrox G400

HELP !
    I was a happy owner of an Aptiva PIII 450 128mb RAM until I realized that I needed to upgrade my graphics card. I bought the G400SH 32MB and installed it. After that it has been crashing over and over again. I searched the forum and read about AGP settings etc. but... I can´t find any AGP setting in my Bios. Does anyone know about an incompatibility problem?

The exact thing that happens is that my diplay freezes and my sounds goes into a loop.

Hope there is anyone out there who can help.

Cheers...

Hermen

Hi Hermen,

Back again...

First a question: You have a G400SH 32Mb??? Not 16Mb??

Just a question... I didn't know a possible 32Mb existed. Maybe my fault.

Okay, back to your problem, if the IBM Aptiva BIOS says anything about something concerning the AGP Aperture Size, it should be in something called Chipset Features Setup.

If you don't even have that kind of folder in your BIOS, then don't look at me, but growl towards IBM ...

Could you provide me (us) with an IRQ spec? To do this, go Start => Programs => Accessories => System Tools => System Information => Harware Sources => IRQ =>Edit => select all => copy all => save in wordpad or other text-editor. Then open this file and copy and paste in the forum answering window. (I used the long version so you know what to do )

What is your souncard btw??

Jorden.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Thanks Jorden, just to let you know I called IBM and gave em a blazing hurricane about almost everything but had to be a little carefull with my words as I bought my PC through my work (guess where that is). Anyway they hardly knew how to pronounce Matrox and obciously couldn´t help me. Yes I do have a 32MB Single Head G400... its maybe only available in Europe and mabye only in Amsterdam who knows.

I will get my butt home now and post the IRQ on the forum.. should be soon as its time to head into the weekend right now. Cheers.

Comment

We kunnen het proberen in het Nederlands af te handelen, maar dan kan alleen Hunsow zich er ook mee bemoeien

We'll get there, somehow

Jorden.

Which machinetype do you have?? Between 2134 and 2407?? lol

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 22 October 1999).]
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

Altijd leuk !

Aptiva model 2164 and here are the IRQ´s

[Hardwarebronnen]

[Conflicten/Delen]

IRQ 5 ESS Solo-1 PCI AudioDrive
          IRQ 5 ACPI IRQ Houder voor PCI IRQ-besturing
          IRQ 9 Standaard-beeldschermadapter (VGA)
          IRQ 9 ACPI IRQ Houder voor PCI IRQ-besturing
          IRQ 9 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
          IRQ 10 Intel 82371AB/EB universele host-controller voor PCI naar USB
          IRQ 10 ACPI IRQ Houder voor PCI IRQ-besturing
          IRQ 11 Rockwell HCF 56K Voice PCI Modem
          IRQ 11 Rockwell PCI Modem Enumerator
          IRQ 11 ACPI IRQ Houder voor PCI IRQ-besturing
          IRQ 14 Primaire IDE-controller (dubbele fifo)
          IRQ 14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
          IRQ 15 Secundaire IDE-controller (dubbele fifo)
          IRQ 15 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller

Comment

Jorden, as you see there are no IRQ´s for the Matrox.. this is because I changed my driver to standard VGA (otherwise I couldn´t get in my windows for more than a minute). I just reset my driver to the 5.20update form Matrox and BOOOOOOM ! it went down. verd$%"#$.

Comment

FYI, when the Matrox is installed its at IRQ9 as well... Let me know when youre back again, cuz Je bent op dit moment mijn laatste redding ! I´ll be back, Kirk Out

Comment

Wacht even, laten we toch eens doorgaan in het Nederlands... Je kunt PD5.30 dus niet draaien?? Heb je alle drivers van je oude videokaart ge-deinstalleerd?? Heb je de Windows opengl32.dll drivers terug geinstalleerd?? (moeilijke manier is vanuit de cab files halen, makkelijk is om Win98 opnieuw te installeren.)

Altijd handig is het PD5.x uninstall programma dat Matrox heeft, en dat alle vorige drivers van Matrox producten verwijderd.

Okee, ben erachter dat een SH 32Mb gestaat, alleen zijn er geen prijzen van te zien

Wat is die SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus??
                Wat zit er op IRQ1 tot IRQ4? Wat op 7 en 8?

Kijk, sharing met PCI/AGP steering is niet erg. Maar IBM maakt het altijd zo verdomde moeilijk (kijk naar hun internet site !!! )

Wat voor monitor heb je aangesloten?
                Als ik dat al eerder heb gevraag in die andere thread, nogmaals graag ...

Jorden.
                Jordâ„¢

Comment

Sure wish I could speak/read that (and I'm not criticizing you guys). Guess that's another elective to look for in college.

------------------
                  Ace
                  "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                  Gainward Ti4600
                  AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Ace, it's Dutch...

Jorden.
                    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Funny..
                      I dident notice the change in laungage until ace mentioned it!

------------------
                      INTEL PIII450 MSI 6163
                      G200Mill 16MB SDRAM
                      SBlive
                      128 MB RAM
                      19GB HDD Space!

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Thanks for the info, Jorden.

LOL- Technoid. Multi-lingual, or just high on something?

------------------
                        Ace
                        "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                        Gainward Ti4600
                        AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

I had to either disable the power management in BIOS completely or the free a lower IRQ by diabling COM ports to get a free IRQ to my G400. It works now very well in IRQ 5. Both ACPI and G400 insisted on remaining on IRQ9 otherwise.

M.

------------------
                          Athlon500/MSI6167/64M(!)/10GIBM/6GSamsung/1GSCSI IBM/AHA2940/CL2xDVD/FastMM2+MJPEG/HPPSScanner/HPPSPrinter/G400DH32M/ZIP100SCSI/Mitsumi2xCD-R/Samsung17GL/MX300/AKA Electric Classic
                          year2000:Athlon500/MSI6167/256M/10GIBM/6GSamsung/18GSCSI IBM/CL2xDVD/RR-G/HPPSPrinter/G400DH32M/DeltaDC995/MX300/ADSPyro1394/AHA2940UW/3comXL100

Comment

You could try turning off ACPI & power management, and use the normal PCI Plug & Hope...

------------------
                            Cheers,
                            Steve

"The chances of anything coming from Mars, are a million-to-one", they said.

Comment

Hi, I just got back behind the computer (a working one at the office) and saw all the replies... I will have to spend a nice monday evening behind the
                              Irritating Blue Machine and answer and solve all those questions, tips and tricks...
                              First I will have to face my internal hardware trouble from the weekend that will most likely make me crash on top of my keyboard.

Get back to the forum tonight then !
                              Cheers for the help.

Comment

Working...
                              X