Ant HELP!!!!!! Is my card defective?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ant HELP!!!!!! Is my card defective?

My new G400 MAX is haveing major probs. The problem seems to be random, or I just cant find the pattern. What happens is sometimes when I start up my computer, all the text comes out as jibberish. Then when Windows 98SE starts up there are tons of corrupted graphics. The one thing I have found is that initiating the dualhead feature always seems to cause the corruptions. Is this a common problem that can be fixed or do I have to call Matrox up and get a new board? Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

We need more info, Post up your system specs! Is it corrupted in DOS?
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Is the G400 plugged in okay? Have you tried unplugging and reseating it? Push it in real hard.

In the mean time we await the rest of the system specs, yes

Jorden.
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

if you ever updated your BIOS I recommend that you reinstall the backup done by the disk...

Comment

Sorry for the lack of system specs. In answer to one of your questions, yes I have tried taking the card out and putting it back in several times, also I have not updated my bios. To yet another question, yes it is corrupted in DOS.

Some specs...

Soyo SBA 3 mobo
          P3 450 (not OC'ed)
          Diamond MX300
          G400 MAX (of coarse)
          13.5 gig IBM HDD
          128 megs PC133 RAM
          Win 98 SE w/DX 7
          Power Desk 5.30 video drivers

At the moment the G400 is sharing IRQ 11 with "IRQ Holder for PCI Steering", and I know that is bad, but I dont know how to change IRQ's so it is alone on 11. I am not sure that this is the prob though since even the bios is coming out corrupted.

Comment

Hmmmm. None of the usual suspects.

I'd take Jorden's advice and reseat the board. (I remember the good old days, before these new fangled AGP 4x compatible boards, when your computer wouldn't boot when your card was improperly seated. Now you get all the way into Windows and it could be a thousand things.)

If that doesn't work, try running it with your case open, just in case you're having a heat problem.

Just in case it isn't a hardware problem, make sure you got rid of all your old drivers.

If that doesn't work, post again with the heading, "JB, Help!" He's minding the tech support store while Haig, the head of Matrox's tech support, is sunning himself in Tahiti, judging bikini contests. Again!

Paul
            paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Working...
            X