Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400/SBLive serious problem

Hi guys.

I've a serious (REALLY serious) problem with my plain G400 and SBLive Value. My system freezes a few minutes after I start a 3D app such as a game. For instance, when I start System Shock 2, the game will freeze usually a few seconds after starting the actual game. The mouse pointer will not move, neither will the system respond to keyboard commands, except Ctrl-Alt-Del (after a few presses). The sound loops indefinitely. I can only restart the computer.

I'm absolutely sure it is the G400 and the SBLive combo that's causing this problem. If I replace my SBLive with an SB AWE64, then I experience no freezes. I've tried clean installs of all available drivers for both cards. G400: PD 5.13, 5.20, 5.25, 5.30; SBLive: original install, Live!Ware 2.0, 2.1 and 3.0 (Live!Ware web downloads), unfortunately in vain. Once, I formatted my hard disk, installed no hardware but my G400 and SBLive, no software but Win 98, DirectX 7.0, PD 5.20 (which is WHQL certified), LiveWare 2.1 and the G400 TechDemo. The TechDemo froze (with the above symptoms) after 5 minutes.

This problem surfaced one month after I bought the two cards (at the same time). During that one month, I used PD 5.20 and the original SBLive CD install. However, I didn't add any new hardware since I had bought the two cards, so it's either a software problem or a hardware misalignment.

I've ensured that both cards are seated correctly. The G400 hole is misaligned with my chassis, so I've left it unscrewed into the chassis, but I'm very sure that the card is well-connected to the AGP slot.

Neither my PII-300 MHz processor nor my 32 MB SingleHead G400 is overclocked.

I admit that the ambient temperature is really high all year round. It's usually about 30 deg C / 86 deg F here in Singapore. Furthermore, my CPU is placed on the floor under a table, which is quite bad, I know, but I'll need time to figure out how to move it to a cooler location. Meanwhile, I've tried to solve any overheating problems by opening the tower chassis side cover and setting a table fan to blow at full speed into the CPU. It cools the G400 down quite a lot. My G400 overclocked to 282 MHz with MGATweak is cooler with the crude fan setup than my G400 at the original clock speed of 252 MHz without the fan. But I've stopped overclocking it anymore to try to solve this problem.

I'ved tried forcing AGP 1x with the PD registry hacks, but this doesn't solve the problem. In addition, I have tried enabling and disabling the following settings in all possible combinations: anisotropic filtering, bump mapping, palettized textures, subpixel accuracy, triple buffer, vsync. Still no positive results.

I know that a lot of problems are caused by IRQ conflicts. Initially, my G400 and SBLive shared IRQ 9, then I figured that out and changed it, to no avail.

0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 (free)
    4 (free)
    5 (free)
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 Printer Port (LPT1)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 Creative SB Live! Value
    9 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    10 Lucent Win Modem
    10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    11 Matrox Millennium G400 - English
    11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    15 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller

I've disabled the SB 16 Emulation. The G400 and SBLive share different IRQs (11 and 9) respectively. The G400 is set at an IRQ above 9.

I've tried changing the AGP Aperture size in BIOS. My PhoenixBIOS can only set the size to either 64 MB or 256 MB. Both options don't help.

I know that the ABIT motherboard causes problems, but mine is a GenuineIntel motherboard from Dell (which can't be overclocked, incidentally) with the latest A09 BIOS release from Dell. This board appears to be an OEM-manufactured board specifically for Dell computers, so I can't update it with Intel drivers.

Frustrated, I've sent three mails to Matrox tech support, with no reply until today. I've called Creative tech support, but I was told that they don't know how to solve it. The tech support problem hasn't even heard of the G400 at all! She suggested that I add the line busthrottle=1 into the [display] section of system.ini, but she warned that this is only a fix for the SBLive echo problems present with the Millennium II card. Well, no hard trying, right? But, it didn't work, except cause some funny echoes in Rogue Spear.

My system specs:

Dell Dimension XPS D300
    Pentium II 300 MHz
    96 MB SDRAM
    IBM DeskStar 6 GB UltraDMA-33 (with 512 KB L2 cache)
    NEC IDE 24x CD-ROM drive
    Matrox Millennium G400 AGP 32 MB SingleHead
    Creative Sound Blaster Live! Value
    CommWave Lucent 56K WinModem (PCI)
    HP ScanJet 5p (disabled)
    Adaptec SCSI Interface card for HP ScanJets (disabled)
    HP DeskJet 720C
    Microsoft IntelliMouse
    Dell QuietKey 104-key keyboard
    Dell 1226H 19" RGB monitor
    Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro
    Bose Acoustimass-Powered Cube Speaker System
    Altec Lansing ACS 490 4-speaker Speaker System

Mirosoft Windows 98 (Original Edition)
    DirectX 7.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0

Some people have complained that the LiveWare 2.0 web download causes some problems while using the LiveWare 2.0 CD eliminates the problem. Is this possibly true for LiveWare 3.0? Should I pay S$35 for the CD?

It may be possible that my G400 is defective. Should I replace it?

I'm really near my wits' end now, after two whole months of frustrating failure. My sincerest hope is that someone can help me solve this terrible problem of mine. Thanks.

Unfortunately, my friend, you are not alone. You may want to search through previous posts on this forum, cause there are LOADS of reports of SB Live problems. I don't know whether or not the past posts will help you, but they're worth a read.

------------------
    The Rock
    Home Machine: P3 450 + 128 Meg PC100 RAM + 23G Storage
    Work Machine: IBM OS/390 + 10Gigs RAM + 1.5 Terabytes Storage (and no damn AGP slot...what a waste)

Bart

Comment

Mine isn't working well along with my Live! value either.......
      My situation is that D3D games freeze with the original screen, but sounds are looping; Quake3T freezes in a stranger way: the screen will suddently corrupt entirely and the corrupted particles are keeping moving. Although there is no response to keyboard, but when you move the mouse, you can see that a part of the corrupted screen is moving according to the movement of your mouse.....and it always happens with looping sounds....it seems very strange to me....

Does anyone here have a solution or suggestion about the problem of this combination?

[This message has been edited by chihuang (edited 23 October 1999).]
      I want the T&L in my G400!

Comment

I also have a live, G400 and a ABIT BH6 with celeron@450
        When I upgraded to the G400, i also had lock-ups when starting win98 and playing 3d games.... did al the tricks (agp x1 , replacing card ,etc) but the only thing that worked for me, is when i did a fresh reinstall of win98 and left the DMA of the diskdrives in the system properties disabled! At this moment, I run at AGPx2, and have no lockups at all! When I try to enable the DMA of the harddisk drivers, i will immidiatly get a lockup at the start of win98.

I don't know if this is the solution for everybody out there, but it works for me!

Comment

I have a 32MB DH G400 and SB Live Value, I have had no problems at all.

Comment

Well, you may allready have read my posting (Finally!!!)

I also had big troubles with my SBL/g400 combo and here is how I solved my problem:

PD 5.30
            LiveWare! 2.1
            DX7.0
            Reghack "Force AGPx1"

I have SB16 enabled and also bus mastering
            enabled.

I had a IRQ conflict that took some time to solve but now everything seems to work just fine. Here is my current IRQs

0 System timer
            3 Communications Port (COM2)
            4 Communications Port (COM1)
            5 Creative SB Live!
            5 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
            7 Printer Port (LPT1)
            9 Conexant PCI Modem Enumerator
            9 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
            9 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
            10 Creative SB16 Emulation
            11 Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead - English
            12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port

I hope you solve your problem and I hope that Matrox learn from all our troubles and test their products against other products on the market...

Greetings

Baxman
            PIII 550, Intel SE440BX,
            128 MB pc100 RAM,
            SB Live!, Fuijtsu 17.3GB, AOpen 6xDVD, HP 8100i CD-RW, Zip 100 drive, Mitsubichi Diamond 900u Pro 19" Monitor, Creative FPS2000 Speakers, Intel
            10/100 MBits network card, Matrox G400 Max

Comment

Another part of the problem may be that your motherboard for the XPS-D300 is the AL440BX which has the LX chipset. There may also be a Voltage problem with the AGP slot.

Paul
              "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I think paul nailed it on the head if that is indeed an LX board. Here are my IRQ settings

0 System timer
                3 Communications Port (COM2)
                4 Communications Port (COM1)
                5 Creative SB Live! Value
                5 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
                5 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
                7 ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
                9 Creative SB16 Emulation
                10 Diamond Multimedia FirePort PCI SCSI Host Adapter
                10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
                11 Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead - English
                12 NETGEAR FA310TX Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter
                12 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering

Comment

Guess what.......I finally found out that all the problems were caused by overclocking my CPU......

I didn't even think about it might be the problem since that I never had problem with this speed with my G200, but I guess maybe G400 demands more power from the CPU so it makes the unstability to show up. Any way, I hope you guys may want to give it a try.......

Now my system runs solid.....finally.....
                  I want the T&L in my G400!

Comment

Hello.

Thanks for all the responses!

How do I change the voltage settings for my LX motherboard? It's a GenuineIntel motherboard. Come to think of it, it's very possible my problem comes from a low voltage setting. I have a G400, SBLive, PCI WinModem, Adaptec SCSI card, HDD, FDD and internal Zip drive. Does the SBLive use more energy than the AWE64 (ISA)? Hmmmmm...

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                    X