Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you guys give me a hand here for a sec?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you guys give me a hand here for a sec?

Hey guys and gals, just a quick questions for ya. I just bought my G400 DH 32 meg card and I just need to know something. I know you guys don't like talking about FPS much, but I think mine are a little low. I'm getting 29 to 35 FPS max in Quake2 @ 1024x768x16 in Demo1.dm2. Even when I overclock the card using MGA Tweak I get no change. This just doesn't seem right to me. Here are my system specs, hope it sheds some light.

AMD K6-2 400 o/ced to 450
    Lucky Tech motherboard (Via Chipset-Award 4.51)
    Matrox G400 DH 32MB (PD5.25)
    128MB 10ns SDRAM
    SBLive Value
    Maxtor 7.2GB 7200rpm HD
    Maxtor 2.1GB HD
    KTX 17in Monitor
    Directx 6.1
    and tons of other irrelivant stuff.

Here's what I've tried:
    Changed just about everything possible in the BIOS.
    AGP app set to 128MB
    Re-installed drivers (Currently using PD5.25)
    Tried 5.30 drivers (no difference)
    Deleted and re-installed Win98 (5 Times)
    Formated HD (twice)
    Installed 4in1 drivers from Via
    V-Sync Disabled
    Forced AGP 1x
    Disabled Tripple Buffering
    And most likey a couple of other things that I just can't quite remember.
    Currently, none of my hardware is sharing any IRQ's.

If you have any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Cmag

------------------
    Consequences smonsequences, as long as I’m rich

Hey, I used to be like you, a K6 owner. I'm going to post a new topic in the next ten minutes that will perhaps shed some light on you plight. Check it out.
    System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

Cmag, Those #'s look like they're on mark for a K6-2 450!

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Unfortunately, numbers are indeed low on SS7 rather than on intel based systems... Only thing to recommend is to check those IRQ's and try with the settings in the console :

s_volume 0
        gl_dynamic 0

to shut down sound and stop dynamic lights, this should give you a boost with your fps.

Comment

Cmag, I'm in same slow boat as you. I even upgraded my k62-350 (@400) to k63-450 and not much difference

------------------
          k6-3 450 - tyan 1590s bios 1.16 - wdac310100 -(With via bm drivers yields 3x performance by 'hdtach')- g200 mill sgram w/8mb upgrade & bios 2.6-20 PD 4.51 (all software disabled)- 128MB 10ns sdram - sblive value 2.1 - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access (28.8k for emergencies) - win98 service pack 1 + 2
          dx7

abit kt7-raid athlon 1ghz quantum 20.4gb - 7200 + wd 200bb - 7200 rpm UDMA100-
          g400 max-
          256MB pc133 sdram - sblive value 3.0 - 4 Boston Acoustics A40's - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access - winME
          dx7.?- V3 steering wheel/pedals - MS sidewinder PRO
          Kensiko (Netpointe) scrolling mouse

Comment

Those numbers do seem to be about right although you should be getting the higher number more often in the Q2 benchmarks. But don't worry things will be changing for us K6 owners soon.

Joel

------------------
            System Specs

Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
            Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the info. It's a good thing I formatted my HD and re-installed Windows so many times just to make sure the card was running properly. Perhaps it's time to go Intel? Man I just love to spend money.

Cmag

------------------

Comment

I heard if you over shuffle cards, they become stacked. Perhaps you should format one last time?
                Don't forget to go to previous BIOS, 1st.

------------------
                k6-3 450 - tyan 1590s bios 1.16 - wdac310100 - g200 mill sgram w/8mb upgrade & bios 2.6-20 PD 4.51 (all software disabled) - AGP1x - 128MB 10ns sdram - sblive value 2.1 - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access (28.8k for emergencies) - win98 service pack 1 + 2
                dx7

abit kt7-raid athlon 1ghz quantum 20.4gb - 7200 + wd 200bb - 7200 rpm UDMA100-
                g400 max-
                256MB pc133 sdram - sblive value 3.0 - 4 Boston Acoustics A40's - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access - winME
                dx7.?- V3 steering wheel/pedals - MS sidewinder PRO
                Kensiko (Netpointe) scrolling mouse

Comment

Hey Paul,

Thanks for the advice, but as you can imagine, I'm not really fond of reformating my hard drive and spending hours re-loading all of my software. It seems from some of the other posts that this is the type of performace I should be getting anyway so I think i'll pass. Besides, I haven't really moved any of my cards around to speak of. I just pulled them out, and put them back in the same spots.

Cmag

------------------

Comment

Working...
                  X