Newest Unreal Tournament demo D3D performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newest Unreal Tournament demo D3D performance

I must confess that Epic did a great job on optimizing Direct3D performance in Unreal Tournament. It is now very playable at a higher resolution and color depth than my Voodoo2 can. ;-)

Only enabling high quality textures (Using a simple small repeating texture as third texture so that walls etc. look more detailed) causes a somewhat bigger hit than on my Voodoo2). I have the feeling that they could optimize their texture management for Direct3D somewhat better.

So I finally can play this kick ass game really smooth at my G400.

Yep! Went from 30 to 50 FPS in 1152x864x32. Very nice ... shame the game does my head in

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't texture management handled by DX itself? Maybe the problem you are seeing is due to the current G400 drivers being made for use with DX6.1 and UT needs DX7 and DX7 optimized drivers to perform properly.

Rags

Comment

You are right. They had their own texture management in Unreal. But now they use DirectX 7 textures management. And it still will take some time before the DirectX 7 optimized drivers will be released.

Comment

At least it's playable pretty well now. I too love this game, and can't wait for the DX7 optimized Matrox drivers, though. Maybe I'll be able to run this game at 1024x768 32bit color, textures, high-res textures, etc., then. Right now I use 800x600, everything else the same, and everything appears to work pretty well.

------------------
          Ace
          "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
          Gainward Ti4600
          AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

I used to run it in 800*600*16. 32bit at that res ran OK, but I loved the game so much I just wanted max frame rates, 16bit was silky smooth (everything high except world detail).

With the patch, I now play in 1024*768*16 and it's smoother than it was in 800*600*16!! Woohoo! 32bit absolutely kills it on my system though ...

Clint
            Intel Celeron 300A @ 464mhz
            Abit BH6 with LN BIOS
            192MB PC100 SDRAM
            Matrox G400 16MB @ ~132/174 (105%)
            Xitel Storm Platinum Vortex2 (A3D 2.0)
            Quantum KA 9.1GB 7200rpm
            Western Digital Caviar 8.4GB 5400rpm
            Pioneer 6x/32x DVD (Slot load)
            Acer 76c 17" Monitor
            MS IntelliMouse Explorer USB
            MS Sidewinder FF Joystick
            CTS PCI network card
            56k ext modem, HP Deskjet600
            UMAX 1220U USB Scanner
            Windows98 SP1, DirectX7

Comment

Hmm...I only get about a 5 fps hit using 32 bit color on the old version of UT. I'm going to try the new one tonight.
              Vanilla G400 DH (5.25 and beta ICD), Celeron 366 o/c 550 mhz, BE6, 128 megs cas2 PC100, IBM 22 gig 66 udma, SB Live, Kenwood 52x, Viewsonic P810, Win98SE

Comment

TonyA,unreal tourney is a totally different game than unreal was.They obviously threw out the mold and made a new one.Original I could get maybe 25fps on celeron450 and g400
                unreal tourney 60-70!!(800x600 32bit for both)They've done a great job at keeping the same feel of the original too.
                gobrob

[This message has been edited by gobrob (edited 23 October 1999).]

Comment

Working...
                X