OT: Canadian Hardware Industry Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Canadian Hardware Industry Question

I realized this morning, while showering, that I have six video boards manufactured by Montreal-based companies. It dawned on me that when taking into Matrox, ATI (don't get me started), and Guillemot, we're talking about a huge percentage of the display adapter market--maybe over half--and that's a lot of hardware.

How did this happen? Is there a shared history as is the case with the Pacific North Coast billionaires?

It would be an odd coincidence.

Just curious.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

Hi Paul,

Guillemont is based out of France. They just opened up an office here in Montreal a few months ago setting up a large shop filled with techies, sales, and marketing people. They also carry some low end HD recoding/midi products as well.

AFAIK, ATI and us are the only Cdn based graphic card manufacturers.

Haig

Comment

Thanks Haig.

That's still a lot! Everyone seems to agree that ATI is the biggest manufacturer of display adapters, and rumour has it you guys are number 2. That's a lot of boards coming out of Montreal.

Don't forget to bring the sunglasses on your upcoming holiday.

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

'tis one of the reasons I buy Matrox. Had a Mystique 2meg, a Mystique220 4meg, an M3d, a G200230SD8meg and my G40032megSH. Keep my moolas in Canada. Even if it does go back east.

------------------
        AssuP2B ,iCeleron337, 128megs PC100, G40032megSH, Yamaha PCI sound, 2 small HD's, 42X Sony CDrom and 98SE w/shutdown patch, PD 5.30 w/beta ICD

AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

I seem to recall reading that the Quebec government offered some kind of a tax incentive for hi-tech industries to locate there. Too bad the provincial government out west here in British Columbia can't get on the ball.

Comment

ATI are based in Ontario, not Quebec...

Comment

Good heavens, your right. No wonder it took them so long to get my rebate to me.

My apologies to the good people of Montreal for imposing the Great Satan of videocard manufacturers upon them. (Never again.)

Every once in a while, you get an "A-Tale-of-Two-Videocard-Companies" story in the mainstream press, and I've seen Matrox and ATI characterized as being "right down the road" from each other.

Must be a big road.

Paul
              paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Working...
              X