Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haig: can you confirm something?

Haig:

Sorry if this is off-topic, but I wasn't sure if you read the games forum at all. Just wondering if you could confirm or possibly elaborate on something I read in a Marvel G400 review on Sharkey's Extreme:

"Unfortunately, we did run into a bit of trouble with game compatibility on the Marvel. Starsiege: Tribes does not like the Marvel at all and has major graphical glitches. Tribes has historically had poor OpenGL support so this does not come as much surprise. We were told that Matrox is talking to Dynamix to see how the situation can be rectified. If you're a major Tribes addict be prepared to play in software mode because 3D acceleration may not work. Otherwise we have had no trouble with compatibility."

The Rock
    Bart

All Matrox card does have major problems with tribes, but then again , so are all the other manufacturers such as S3, ATI... only Nvidia and 3Dfx works.... there have been several treads on this in all forums... so it's not a Marvel thing...

Comment

Hi Rock,

It's true. Unless these guys decide to make an optimized Matrox version or get their act together with their OGL, our cards and a few other cards will not work too well with Tribes.

For some reason, they are under the impression that "the G400 doesn't have a big user base."

We are currently talking with them to see what we both can do but nothing definite has come out of it yet.

Haig

Comment

Thanks for the replay Haig; if I told the guys in the ATI forums that I actually got an answer to a question from a Matrox employee, they wouldn't believe me. They'd say "video card companies don't listen to their customers". Keep up the great work; I ain't buying ANY other makers video card EVER again.

------------------
        The Rock
        Home Machine: P3 450 + 128 Meg PC100 RAM + 23G Storage
        Work Machine: IBM OS/390 + 10Gigs RAM + 1.5 Terabytes Storage (and no damn AGP slot...what a waste)

Bart

Comment

You know what I say to Dyanmax.....KISS MY BIG FAT WHITE MATROX ASS!!!!!!! You will NEVER get a dime out of me, and I will tell everyone that your product sucks. Please explain to me WHY a game company would not want to sell more?!?! Is this just suicidal? That's why I say whatever dynamax, your game is not the be all end all game, c'est la vie!

------------------
          Get Paid to Surf the Web! <A HREF="http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=CBM-295
          " TARGET=_blank>http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=CBM-295
          </A>
          Asus K7V
          Athlon 700
          128mb PC133 HSDRAM
          Matrox Millennium g400max
          Adaptec 2940U2W
          IBM 9gb U2W
          Plextor 8/20 cdr
          Diamond MX300
          3com 905b-tx

Comment

For Haig, as you referred that we won't be getting good Tribes performance until Dynamix will either fix the OGL code or optimize Tribes for Gx00-series, there might be an alternative solution. Maybe you already know that there is quite good Glide to Direct3D wrapper called XGl200, which works with Tribes but has some graphical glitches and performance problems. Because it's under GNU-license, Matrox could use the codebase from it and easily make a optimized "driver" for Tribes. The only problem would be that the source code for that optimized driver has to be available if it's requested (as far as I know, but I'm not an legal expert). Anyway, the end result would only require some work from Matrox and would solve the issue.

-Tumu

------------------
            Celeron 333 (not overclocked), GigaByte 6BXE Intel 440BX AGPset (bios v3.3),
            64MB PC100 RAM, G200 AGP 8MB SGRAM (not overclocked, a fan, bios v2.6),
            PD5.30, SB16 Value, 3COM Fast EtherLink XL, Sony Multiscan 100ES, HP8210i
            Win95OSR2.1 finnish

Celeron 333 (not overclocked), GigaByte 6BXE Intel 440BX AGPset (bios v3.4),
            64MB PC100 RAM, nVidia TNT2 32M (was G200 AGP 8MB SGRAM), SB Live! Value LW3.1, 3COM Fast EtherLink XL, Sony Multiscan 100ES, HP8210i
            Win98 finnish

Comment

Working...
            X