Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New MAX owner...Tech Demo/Expendable problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New MAX owner...Tech Demo/Expendable problems.

I just got a G400 MAX, in an Athlon 600 (GIGABYTE 71X MB) machine. Note that my AGP aperture is set to 256.

I tried running the tech demo and it seems to run fine unless I try changing any of the default settings. I.e. ir runs in 640x480x16, but won't run any higher resulition or color depth (the screen switches resolution, there is a blank screen for 5 seconds, then it switches back to the original mode).

Expendable doesn't seem to run at all. It start up, then dumps me back to the desktop.

I know other people have had problems with this stuff. This is with all the latest drivers. Any tips? Is there a FAQ that covers this rehashed stuff?

Thanks,

------------------
    Steven S. Klug
    sklug@hightower.com
    Steven S. Klug
    sklug@hightower.com

There's a FAQ at http://gtech.matroxusers.com . Give it a try, if it doesn't help you, you know where to find us.
    P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

Try putting the aperture size to 128 and disabling video shadow in your bios

Comment

Do you keep the Matrox CD in your drive when you try to run Expendable?

What version of DirectX are you using?

Paul
        paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Yes I had the CD in the drive. I tried this both with the Directx that came with Win98 SE (I think it's 6.1) and with DX7.

I'll try changing the aperture and video bios shadowing later today. Thanks for the tips.

------------------
          Steven S. Klug
          sklug@hightower.com
          Steven S. Klug
          sklug@hightower.com

Comment

Ok, I set the aperture to 128, turned off video bios shadowing. No effect. I also upgraded to the latest Gigabyte 7ix bios. No effect. One thing I noticed, is that in directX diagnostics, it says I don't have any AGP support enabled, and doesn't give me the option to enable it. Also, pcilist shows no AGP 2x. ForceAGP PD hack didn't have any effect. Any sage words of wisdom on how to get AGP to work on this platform?

The tech demo is very pretty. Wish I could run it at higher resolutions.

Don't even know what expendable looks like, as it still doesn't run. Heh.

So does everyone think these are driver issues? Or am I stuck with a half functional video card because of the immaturity of the AMD chipset?

------------------
            Steven S. Klug
            sklug@hightower.com
            Steven S. Klug
            sklug@hightower.com

Comment

Sounds REAL similar to what my Max was doing. Do you have dual-head enabled? If so, DISABLE IT. I don't mean just clicking it off under Display -> Settings. I mean going under Display -> Settings -> Advanced -> Dualhead and disabling the feature COMPLETELY. Then, reboot like it asks. Now, try running Expendable again.

C=64
              www.welcome.to/pompous

Comment

Still at the default "disabled" state that it was installed as in the menu you describe.

------------------
                Steven S. Klug
                sklug@hightower.com
                Steven S. Klug
                sklug@hightower.com

Comment

Hi,

sounds to me you have not installed the AMD AGP drivers from your Motherboard CD... Please try that out... The thing that comes witn e.g. Win98 SE is not really enough although it may look like that...

M.

------------------
                  Athlon500/MSI6167/64M(!)/10GIBM/6GSamsung/1GSCSI IBM/AHA2940/CL2xDVD/FastMM2+MJPEG/HPPSScanner/HPPSPrinter/G400DH32M/ZIP100SCSI/Mitsumi2xCD-R/Samsung17GL/MX300/AKA Electric Classic
                  year2000:Athlon500/MSI6167/256M/10GIBM/6GSamsung/18GSCSI IBM/CL2xDVD/RR-G/HPPSPrinter/G400DH32M/DeltaDC995/MX300/ADSPyro1394/AHA2940UW/3comXL100

Comment

Wow. That was it. I feel really stupid. Very deceiving that Win98 SE recognizes everything, but still doesn't work properly. I assumed that since it regocnized the AMD bridges, etc., that I didn't need to apply the patch (since SE is relatively new). Everything works great now. No problems at all. Thanks a lot!

------------------
                    Steven S. Klug
                    sklug@hightower.com
                    Steven S. Klug
                    sklug@hightower.com

Comment

Steven, what do you think about the Gigabyte board? Do you like it? Have you had any other problems?

Can you post some benchmarks?

Paul
                      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Working...
                      X