Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good, Cheap Video Card to do Multiple Monitors w/G400Max in Windows 2000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good, Cheap Video Card to do Multiple Monitors w/G400Max in Windows 2000?

It pains me to have to consider it, but does anyone know of an inexpensive PCI video card that will co-exist with my G400 Max for Multiple Monitor support under Windows 2000?

I'm really not all that particular on it's performance, 3D or otherwise. I just want it to be able to do 1152 x 864 at 16 bit with a refresh of 75 hz.

I was hoping to pick up an i740, but as it turns out, there aren't any Win2k drivers for the PCI part. So my search for an inexpensive hack to get the multiple monitor support I crave continues on...

(a very annoyed) C=64
    www.welcome.to/pompous

You might hate me for saying it, but did you consider Voodoo 3 2000 PCI ?
    Another option could be a Matrox G100/G200 PCI.

------------------
    Cloudy
    Asus P2B-DS, 2 x Celeron 400@75Mhz, 128Mb Ram, Xitel Storm Platinum,
    2 x IBM 4.3Gb scsi,IBM 22GB IDE, Pioneer DVD ROM scsi, G400 32MB DH (Oc to 150/200).

Cloudy
    Asus P2B-DS, 2 x Celeron 450 (400@75Mhz), 192Mb Ram, SB Live! Platinum,
    2 x IBM 4.3Gb scsi,IBM 22GB IDE, Pioneer DVD ROM scsi, G400 32MB DH.

Comment

Becuase Matrox will have to get their Dual Head working under win2k eventually, I'd only go for a real cheap and nasty card to tide you over. It sounds as if you're only doing 2D work, so try something simple like a S3Virge, ATI Expert@Work, Matrox G100.

------------------
      Cheers,
      Steve

"The chances of anything coming from Mars, are a million-to-one", they said.

Comment

Did I miss something ?

Isn't the MAX working in DH under Win2k or are you planning to use three monitors ?

------------------
        Cheers,
        Maggi

Working Rig:
        Asus P2B-DS @ 103MHz FSB
        Double Pentium III-450 @ 464 MHz
        4 x 128MB CAS2 SDRAM
        Matrox Millennium G400 32MB DualHead
        Nokia 445Xi (21")
        Nokia 447Xpro (17")

Home Rig:
        Asus P2B-S Bios 1010 @ 112MHz FSB
        Celeron 300A @ 504MHz
        2 x 128MB CAS2 SDRAM
        Matrox Millennium G400 32MB DualHead @ 150/200MHz
        CTX VL710T (17")
        Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
        Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
        be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
        4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
        2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
        OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
        4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
        Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
        Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
        LG BH10LS38
        LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

I dunno - I just assumed it doesn't from the first post.

------------------
          Cheers,
          Steve

Comment

Anyone know of somewhere I can download RC2 of win2k from?

------------------
            Cheers,
            Steve

Comment

I don't know about your question on RC2 Steve, but as far as I know- Matrox cards only like to work well in multiple card mode with other Matrox cards (I hope I'm not losing my mind, but I'm sure I read this somewhere) under Win9x. I've got a feeling that this will carry over into Win2K. Any comments, Haig?

------------------
              Ace
              "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
              Gainward Ti4600
              AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Will any PCI video card co-exist with a multi-mon compliant AGP video card?

Also, does anyone know of PCI video cards that DO have Win2k drivers? I noticed quite a few of those mentioned on the Win2k hcl list have AGP and PCI implementations, like the i740 I mentioned in my earlier post. However, as I mentioned in my earlier post, only the AGP version was supported, and I'm afraid of similar situations with the other AGP/PCI ones. As for the ones that are only PCI, most of 'em aren't able to meet my (rather meek) minimum requirements of 1152x864x16bit at 75 hz.

For a quick bit o'explanation to those that aren't familiar with this issue, I am not trying to drive 3 monitors. As it turns out, the current beta driver that's publicly available for Win2k DOES NOT have the ability to enable dualhead for the G400's (in addition to missing a few other niceties ), and from the impression that I'm getting on this forum, it doesn't appear a G400 driver from Matrox will see the light of day till Win2k is officially released.

C=64
                www.welcome.to/pompous

Comment

If your primary is a G400, I think you have to pass on Matrox for a secondary card: the G100 is/was only available in AGP, and the G200 PCI is extremely hard to find.

A good choice at well under US$50 would be a Riva128 or ATI Rage; spend a little more and you can find a Banshee or V3 2000, or a Savage4 PCI. An i740 PCI card (only Real3D made them) would be a bad choice - the cards have an onboard AGP bridge that will make future driver support problematic.

As a secondary device, any of the above would be superior to the G400's 2nd head if you can afford to give up a slot, so its not necessarily an interim solution...

Comment

Doesn't anyone here have an old G200PCI or a Millennium II they wanna get rid of?

------------------
                    Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

I'd try the G100, it's BEAUTIFUL in 2D.

Although I dunno what the Win2k support for it is like...

Other than that, yeah go get the cheapest generic card you can get. Virge, ATI, whatever is in the bargain bin at your local CompUSA or Micro Center.

- Ash

------------------
                      G. U. R. M. It's not hard to spell, is it? Then don't screw it up!
                      The word "Gurm" is in no way Copyright 1999 Jorden van der Elst.
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                      X