• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 AGP Aperature Bios Setting?

I was wondering what setting I should have on in my bios for my G400
    64 or 256 or does it matter?

Thanks for you input

------------------

Depends on the amount of RAM you have. I have 128Megs and my aperature size is set to 128. Works great for me.

------------------
    The Rock
    Home Machine: P2 392 + 128 Meg PC100 RAM + 23G Storage
    Work Machine: IBM OS/390 + 10Gigs RAM + 1.5 Terabytes Storage (and no damn AGP slot...what a waste)
    Bart

Comment

It does depend on the amount of RAM you have, but setting it as high as possible always works. It will then use all the available memory for textures. I have 256 Mb and set it to 256Mb long before, even when I had 32Mb RAM floating around my pc.

Some mobo's need the highest setting to get the G400(Max) working okay.

Jorden.
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

Hi, I just bought a G400 SH myself and I can´t seem to get it working. Now I was told to change the AGP Aperture as well. One thing that makes it difficult is that I don´t kwow where and how to set those values. can anyone help me out as you have just done this stuff. You would definetely make me a happier human being.
        Thanks !

Comment

Hermenr:

How old is this machine? I think with some older AGP boards using the 440LX chipset, there may not be aperature size settings in the BIOS (I could be way wrong on that though).

------------------
          The Rock
          Home Machine: P2 392 + 128 Meg PC100 RAM + 23G Storage
          Work Machine: IBM OS/390 + 10Gigs RAM + 1.5 Terabytes Storage (and no damn AGP slot...what a waste)
          Bart

Comment

Some motherboard do not have the Aperture open. Gigabyte, for instance, will not open an AGP aperture unless you set the Video RAM to "Cacheable" or "Write Protect". There is no numeric aperture size adjustment on Gigabyte boards like there are with many other mobos - it either is or isn't. Award makes a BIOS chip for their supported motherboards that will give you this capability for $24.95 USD. Another thing: Make sure you enable the Video BIOS to be "Cacheable" or "Write Protected" (Depending on your motherboard/chipset/BIOS maker) as well, it will help the board work more smoothly.

------------------
            My (Current) Primary system:
            Abit BE6 (MU BIOS)
            P3 450
            384MB PC-100 SDRAM (Non-ECC)
            Matrox Marvel G200-TV AGP (NTSC) v2.6 BIOS
            Adaptec 2940U2W v1.23 BIOS
            3Com 905B-TX NIC
            SBlive (W/ OD I/O Card, Liveware 3.0)
            Creative Modemblaster Data/Voice/Fax Modem
            ADS Cadet Radio Data AM/FM Card (8 Bit ISA)
            3x WD AC28400 EIDE HDDs (ATA66 Enabled)
            Creative DVD5241E EIDE 5x DVD-ROM
            Plextor 12x SCSI2 CD-ROM
            Panasonic LK-MW602 CD-R (SCSI2)
            M/S Windows 98SE (English)
            DirectX 7

My (Current) Secondary system (Scattered about the workbench)

Data General/ ALR 2650 Mobo (v6.004 BIOS)
            2x P2 266 (SMP)
            256 MB PC-100 SDRAM (ECC)
            2x Number9 Revolution 3D 8 MB PCI Adapters
            3Com 905B-TX NIC
            Onboard Adaptec 2940 U2W
            Onboard Intel 82558 NIC
            Onboard Cirrus Logic SVGA adapter (Disabled)
            Creative AWE64 Gold
            2x WD 9.1 GB Enterprise SCSI3 HDDs
            WD 4.5 GB Enterprise SCSI3 HDD
            Nakamichi MJ-5 CD-Changer SCSI2
            Window NT Server w/SP-5
            Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Hermenr, you set the AGP Aperture size in the BIOS of your motherboard. So you might want to press Delete repeatedly upon booting your PC (or any other key that lets you into the BIOS) and look for a setting called AGP Aperture Size or something else with AGP with a number behind it. Probably set at 64 at this moment (standard).

Change this number to 128 or 256 if your BIOS can handle that. Save the changes and reboot the PC.

Jorden.
              Jordâ„¢

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply (never tried a forum before and it does look like an effective medium). I went into BIOS yesterday and strange enough... I couldn´t find anything with AGP in there. FYI I have an IBM Aptiva PIII that had a Creative Labs 8meg VCard before.. also in the AGP slot.

Hermen

Comment

Working...
                X