Why is my G400 Vanilla sooo slow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is my G400 Vanilla sooo slow!

OK, my 3d mark is 2400 in 1024x768 in 32 bit(16bit z buffer&double frame buffer), on a p3 500, with 128mb pc100,soundblaster live value, 6.4gb samsung drive on a qdi brilliant 1 motherboard(latest bios), I have the matrox G400 vanilla, overclocked to 117%, I have done the test with and without the dual head on, with it off it adds 100 marks.

I have tried checking the busmastering,its OK. I have tried forcing the AGP to x2, no difference, tried shadowing the video bios, no difference on or off.

Now im not completely gutted because it still plays all my games happily, but like anybody I hate to think somebodys getting a better deal than me.

Can any body point out my mistake?
    P3 700Mhz cB0 stepping, G400MAX,Abit BE6-2 RV Bios,Quantum KX 7200 13Gig,256Mb 100SDram,Asuscom ISDN,SCSI 100Mb zip int,SB Live Value,Tosh 6702, HP 9110i.

Hmmm, 2400 is about 50% of what you should get...

Do you have multiple entries under 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servi ces\Class\Display'?
    P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

Im not by my pc but from memory i dont think so as i remember i only had 0000, but i will definely check if i do what would that indicate, and what should i be doing?

------------------
      John Skeoch
      P3 700Mhz cB0 stepping, G400MAX,Abit BE6-2 RV Bios,Quantum KX 7200 13Gig,256Mb 100SDram,Asuscom ISDN,SCSI 100Mb zip int,SB Live Value,Tosh 6702, HP 9110i.

Comment

I notice that SB Live!... check the various threads in MHW (Matrox Hardware, that is).. there have been many problems reported with that sound card and the G400... obviously you aren't having the lockups many had, but a slowdown seems quite possible, then...

I'd look it up for you, but I'm trying to get out of the office...

--------------
        Holly
        Holly

"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open ended program of procreative racial deconstruction."
        -Jay Bulworth

Comment

First thing to check when having slow performance are your IRQ's. If a card odes not have one or if it is sharing then yes, you will have much slower results since the card does not have proper access to the bus to hand out and receive the needed information.

Comment

should i set the agp apature to 64 or 128?

Comment

Set it to 128 or 256.

Paul
              "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

wont that stuff things up, I only have 128mb?

Comment

Are you sure vsync is disabled?

Do you have the latest drivers for your SB Live? I'd try reinstalling them and the latest Matrox drivers.

Turn all shadowing off. You don't want to fix one problem and cause another. I've done this, and it's not fun.

Paul
                  paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

With 128MB Ram it should run faster at 128 or even 256. It slows my system down to have the aperature set at 64.

Paul
                    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Right when I get home I am going to:
                      set the AGP aperature to 128 or even 256
                      Move the Matrox G400 to a high IRQ all on its own
                      Disable the Shadow Video Bios
                      Check that there isnt multiple entries in the registry

OK stupid question how do i disable vsync?
                      Once again many thanks for the help, nice 2 c people who help 4 the sake of it!

Comment

If it makes any difference I also run a isdn terminal card, I will have to check what resources that uses.

If all else fails I will format my games drive and remove all the other cards and start from scratch, when I have a spare month

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Comment

Right, Thanks for the help.
                          No success, so far.
                          I have disabled the video shadowing, increased the agp value to 128mb.

No matter how I rig the PC(even moving PCI cards) I cant get the Matrox on an IRQ on its own

My PC:
                          P3 500
                          128Mb PC 100
                          Matrox G400 32Mb Dual Head
                          PCI slot 1 empty
                          Soundblaster Live Value in PCI slot 2
                          BT speedway ISDN in PCI slot 3
                          PCI slot 4 empty
                          Adaptec Card in bottom ISA slot* for Zip Drive

*This can only use IRQ 9,10,11

Didnt look at the reg yet.

Just to let you know no problem running any games ive tried yet, although I think they should be quite a bit quicker.

example the race in 3dmark99 runs at average 41 fps

Comment

the IRQs:
                            00- System Timer
                            01- Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
                            02- Programmable interupt controller
                            03- ISDN Terminal adaptor
                            03- IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
                            04- COM3
                            05- Creative SB16 Emulation
                            06- Standard Floppy Disk Controller
                            07- ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
                            08- System CMOS/Real Time Clock
                            09- Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USD Universal Host Controller
                            09- Adaptec (the one for the zip drive)
                            10- SB live card
                            10- IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
                            11- IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
                            11- Matrox AGP - English
                            11- IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
                            13- Numeric Data Processor
                            14- Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
                            14- Primary IDE controller (Dual Fifo)
                            15- Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
                            15- Secondary IDE controller (Dual Fifo)

feeble help, please help.....

Comment

You've got TWO PCI Steering holders on IRQ 11, that can't be good. Remove them both, as well as the driver for the G400, and try again. Remember to use the Matrox uninstaller.

- Gurm

P.S. Also check, in the BIOS:

AGP Aperture @ 128/256
                              Video Shadow = OFF
                              Video Caching = OFF
                              System BIOS Shadow = ON

And make sure you have the latest BIOS for your mobo.

------------------
                              G. U. R. M. It's not hard to spell, is it? Then don't screw it up!
                              The word "Gurm" is in no way Copyright 1999 Jorden van der Elst.
                              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                              If only life were as easy as you
                              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                              If only life were as easy as you
                              I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                              X