help me please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help me please

I dropped a post before, but no one liked me enough to respond Maybe one more time.

I'm having no problems with the hardware interface with my G400Max (yes, I even have an ABIT board and SBLIVE!).

However, I am having trouble getting the DVD software to function properly. It loads up just fine, but that is all it does. It won't read the drive, play on autoinsert, etc etc. I've tried just about everything and really want this to work. I don't want to go back to my Xing software, but I am almost without a choice.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME....

What DVD drive are you using?

If it's IDE, put it as Master.

I don't know what Abit board you have but if it's the one with the ATA 66, make sure the DVD drive is on the ATA 33 headers.

If it's SCSI, what device id is it on?

Make sure your Xing app is completely removed from the system for now.

Haig

Comment

The drive is a Creative PC DVD (Panasonic 2nd Gen I think)

It's set as a Master

ATA 33

Not SCSI

Xing was taken off in an effort to get this to work.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Got anymore?

Comment

This might occur if your DVD disc is the wrong region or a different format, such as VCD which only one of the players will support. (I know, pretty farfetched, but I have this occurring alot.)

Comment

Hmm.. Check to make sure the DVD-rom drive is set to DMA mode. If it isn't, that can cause some odd playback problems. Not sure if this is the fix, but its something that should be checked anyway.

Comment

Yeppers, DMA is set.

Regions are correct as well.

Keep the answers coming. One of these is going to work

Thanks to everyone helping....

Comment

very important is to have at least LiveWare 2.1 from Creative labs

Comment

Wait a minute... you say "it won't read the drive, play on autoinsert [easily solved, btw].." And it was working just fine with the Xing, but as soon as you installed the MAX, suddenly, poof?

Does the drive work, otherwise? You use it for CD's as well, right? Can you look at a CD or DVD in Windows Explorer, or play an audio CD? Does the drive letter show up in My Computer? In the Device Manager? etc.?

Excuse me asking the baby questions, but it seems to me that you ought to be seeing other problems with the drive... if you aren't, then I'd say reinstall the software. If you are... it's silly, but make sure you don't have a loose IDE cable..

To enable autoplay, open the Device Manager, select the DVD drive and click the 'Properties' button. The second tab, 'Settings', has a checkbox for 'enable autoinsert notification'. Check this box to turn on autoplay.

I just feel there's gotta be something more to this...

------------------
                Holly
                Holly

"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open ended program of procreative racial deconstruction."
                -Jay Bulworth

Comment

Motub: Yeah, I keep thinking that there has to be something more substainial than this going on, but I can't see it.

Xing works just fine on the drive.

Matrox DVD player, nada. On autoinsert, it just sits there (yes I have it set to play on autoinsert). So, I put it in, and close the program, and then go and load the program afterwards. It makes an attempt (highly accelerated audio reading, no video) till it hits the 28 or so mark (or it does green video and locks up).

I can explore the DVD's via "my computer" just fine.

IDE is snug and secure (just checked).

I think I've got demons in my machine. The ghost of my old Millenium 2 is angry he lives in the linux server now I guess....

Comment

I had the same problem with the SAME 2nd generation Creative Drive. I spent a lot of time on the phone with matrox tech support. The problem was narrowed down to an old Firmware Version. Only problem is that Creative won't send an update, you have to send them the drive, they'll update it and send it back. Well that's too much trouble. So...I bought a new 6x drive for $130 Canadian, and the problem was gone! DVD works perfectly! So it IS the drive. You can try your luck with Creative, but if you can find a decent new drive pretty cheap...that worked for me.
                    Cowboy

sys...cel 400 oc'd 500, abit BE6, G400 MAX, 160 mb ram, Diamond MX 300, Samsung 6x DVD, HP Burner.

Comment

Sounds like the solution Cowboy. BTW Haig, this is just FYI- I have the BE6 also, with a 1st generation DVD drive (1x DVD). I have my drive on the UDMA66 bus, busmastering enabled, and everything appears to work fine. It seems that the only real problems I've been hearing about with these motherboards has to do with the fit of cards in the slots. Not saying that this couldn't be his problem (the drive/controller combo), just that so far, no probs for me with that setup.

------------------
                      Ace
                      "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                      Gainward Ti4600
                      AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Well, I have had problems at various points with the Matrox DVD player as well. Why not try this... download the Cinemaster 99 (newer version of the Matrox DVD Player) from the following link:

<a href="http://members.tripod.com/dvdown/qi_down.html">DVD Digest Download Page</a>

And give that a shot. If you use the DVD Region selector, you can turn the hardware acceleration back on, and tweak a bunch of other stuff as well.

- Ash

------------------
                        G. U. R. M. It's not hard to spell, is it? Then don't screw it up!
                        The word "Gurm" is in no way Copyright 1999 Jorden van der Elst.
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                        X