big slowdowns in Premiere 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big slowdowns in Premiere 5

I use Adobe Premiere 5.1 to edit my captured footage from the g400 marvel. Whenever I add another clip or rearrange clips in the timeline and then try to move the playback position, my system pauses for about 7 seconds while it appears to be "calculating" something. This makes using Premiere very non-interactive. Also, when doing previews it is ridiculously slow even for just a few seconds with a simple transition. My system may not be the very top end but these kinds of problems shouldn't happen. The captured footage is at 352x240 30 fps and I load the Matrox mjpeg profiles whenever I start a project.

---------------------------------------------
    P2 450 / 192 ram / udma33 quantum fireball KA / g400 marvel / vcache limited to 12000kb / perm swap file on d:\ of 100-250 mb
    ---------------------------------------------

So this is news?

Premiere may be highly touted by it's dedicated and loyal following but I've always found it to be slow, cumbersome and totally frustrating to work with.

Combine all of that with it's tendency to crash if a leaf falls in the front yard and you have a pretty good source for migranes.

Now, do you want to know what I *really* think of it? ;-))

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I think we may be jumping the gun here. The standard "solution" to this problem is to create or change your Premiere .ini file (in the Premiere folder) to the following (this file should aslo be on the Marvel disc (it's on mine):

edit/create a Prem50.ini file (in a text editor):

[Override]
      NoDirectShow=1

[codec]
      keepopen=dmb1

Let me know if this works...

(No, I don't think Premiere is perfect, but I use it all the time. I'm eagerly awaiting Ulead Media Studio 6 to win me over though...)

------------------
      Please visit http://spincycle.n3.net - My System: Celeron 300a(@450/2v),ABit BH6, 128mb ram, Win98, Marvel G200TV, Diamond MX300, IBM 8.4gb UDMA Deskstar system drive, Adaptec 2940UW SCSI, 2x 9gb Seagate Barracuda UWSCSI video drives, Hitachi GD-2500 DVD-Rom, UltraPlex CD-Rom, Plexwriter CD-recorder, Viewsonic PT775, Soundworks 4.1 speakers
      Please visit http://spincycle.n3.net - My System: Celeron 300a(@450/2v),Abit BH6, 128mb RAM, Win98SE, Marvel G200TV, Diamond MX300, Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 20g system drive, DiamondMax Plus 40 capture drive, IBM 8g Deskstar program drive, Adaptec 2940UW SCSI, 9gb Barracuda UWSCSI video drive, Hitachi GD-2500 DVD-Rom, UltraPlex CD-Rom, Plexwriter CD-recorder, Viewsonic PT775, Soundworks 4.1 speakers

Comment

It works now, thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X