DualHead and games.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DualHead and games.

Just got my 2nd monitor yesterday, but have noticed that most games wont work using DualHead ( and i mean ALL games, no just OpenGL games ).

DualHead rocks, but if they could just fix the turning DH on/off, that you didn't need to BOOT. I REALLY HATE THAT. =)

I was surprised that Pro/Engineer would work with DH ( uses OpenGL ), but with 1/10 of performance. Normally it's REALLY SMOOTH, but with DH its S-L-O-W. Maybe future drivers will fix this, but i don't think so.

If you have DH go and get your 2nd monitor, its GREAT. =)

Pe-Te

-----------------------------
    Celeron 300A@463
    128MB PC100
    21GB HD
    Matrox G400MAX
    19" Hitatchi CM752ET
    15" Nokia Valuegraph 449E
    TV + Dolby ProLogic Surround.
    -----------------------------

I have no problem running D3D games in Multi-monitor mode. OGL won't go (although I've heard with the TurboGL they will), but the D3D games I've tried have done fine.

And as far as disabling DH and rebooting...that isn't necessary. Just go to your display properties, and clear the "extend desktop to this monitor" checkbox. Then OGL will work without needing to reboot...
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

This is not a limitation of the G400 drivers, this is a limitation of Windows. I am sure there is a workaround with drivers, but AFAIK you cannot use multi display with two OpenGL cards in one system.

Comment

My complaint about dual-head is that I sometimes have to disable it entirely before playing a game (like the copy of Expandable that gets shipped with the card).

I'm not talking about going into Display Properties and unchecking the option. I mean having to go into Advanced, to Dualhead, and completely disabling the *#@*ing thing.

Never had to do anything that absurd when I had my pair of i740s.

[This message has been edited by C=64 (edited 17 October 1999).]

Comment

Kruzin, I tried it with TGL, and no go. Have to disable the DH option totally.

C=64, great computer, but what you say about the disabling and all is maybe because it's a hardware function that has to be re-routed?

Just see it as installing a new piece of hardware in your PC. You'll have to reboot after that to let Windows see you installed something new.

When using DH, every head uses 16Mb memory.
          When disabling DH, the one head uses all 32Mb.

It might be Windows its fault then

Jorden.

------------------
          Official MURC-police
          -------------------
          the way you're bathed in light
          reminds me of that night
          god laid me down into your rose garden of trust
          and I was swept away
          with nothin' left to say
          some helpless fool
          yeah I was lost in a swoon of peace
          you're all I need to find
          so when the time is right
          come to me sweetly, come to me
          come to me
          ------------
          Holly's Love Rules !!
          ------------

Jordâ„¢

Comment

Finally, someone noticed

I can understand the technical reasons for having to disable the dualhead support for certain applications. It still doesn't make it any less annoying, though .

I just wish Matrox would go to the trouble of including a page in the manual, or even info on their less-than-helpful online FAQ, mentioning the possible need.

With the i740's, I was fairly use to disabling the second monitor for gaming, but that was a simple matter of clicking off the option. I spend over an hour trying to get Expendable to run before I came up the solution of actually disabling the feature. I'm sure there are quite a few individuals out there who still have no idea why the bundled games aren't running...

C=64
            www.welcome.to/pompous

Comment

I use DualHead all the time

- I NEVER have to disable DualHead for a D3D game.

- I NEVER have to disable DualHead for a TurboGL game.

- I ONLY have to disable DualHead to use the true OpenGL ICD (as per Winblows restrictions).

I don't know what problems you're all talking about, but it seems that your machine's drivers aren't installed properly. I normally run both monitors at 1280x1024x32bit. I drop to 1024x768 for Half-Life in a window, and amazing enough, it plays the same speed in a 1024x768 window as it does in a 1024x768 fullscreen (although it looks fullscreen, so I don't know what the TurboGL is doing...)

Anywho, just my $0.02

P.S. Jorden, that explains why games complain when I try anything over 1152x864 at 32bit color.

------------------
              Primary System: PIII-540 (450@4.5x120), Soyo 6BA+ III, 2x128MB PC100 ECC SDRAM CAS2, G400 MAX in multi-monitor mode. V2 SLI rig. Two Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 900u monitors, 3Com 3C905, SoundBlaster Live!, DeskTop Theater DTT2500 DIGITAL Speaker System (Sweeeeeet!), WD AC41800 18GB HD, WD AC310100 10GB HD, Toshiba SD-M1212 6x DVD-ROM, HP 8100i CD-RW, Epson Stylus Pro, OptiUPS PowerES 650, MS SideWinder Precision Pro USB joystick, Logitech 3-button mouse, Mitsumi keyboard, Win98 SE, Belkin OmniCube 4-port KVM, 10/100 5-port Linksys Ethernet switch (30~40MB/min under Win98SE)

Secondary System: PII-266, Asus P2B BIOS 1008, 1x128MB PC100 ECC SDRAM CAS2, Millennium II, 3Com 3C590, ADSL Modem 640kbit down/90kbit up, 3Com 3C509, Mylex BT-930 SCSI card, Seagate 2GB Hawk, NEC 6x CD-ROM, Linux distro S.u.S.E. 6.1 (IP Masquerade works!), Sharp JX-9400 LJ-II compatible

Tertiary System: DFI G568IPC Intel 430HX chipset, P200MMX, 4x64MB EDO Parity RAM, Millennium II, Intel Pro/100+ client NIC, SoundBlaster 16 MCD, Fujitsu 3.5GB HD, WD 1.2GB HD, Creative Dxr3 DVD decoder card, Hitachi GD-2500 6x DVD-ROM, Win98 SE

All specs subject to change.

[This message has been edited by IceStorm (edited 18 October 1999).]
              The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
              The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
              The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

Actually, to date the only game I've had to do that (i.e. disable Dualhead and reboot) has been Expendable. I'm just annoyed at the amount of trouble I have to go through to utilize a game that really makes use of my G400. To be perfectly honest, I had played the Expendable demo a while back, and was not all that happy with the gameplay. I just wanted to see some nice bump mapping. I'm glad Matrox didn't design my MX300, or else I'ld have to reboot *twice* before playing Expendable.

And alas, my primary machine, which houses my G400, is powered by a pair of 567 mhz celery sticks, so the glory of TurboGL is *just* out of my reach. Sniff.. sniff...

I had purchased the G400 in hopes of getting a decent dual monitor implementation for learning OpenGL/Direct3D under Windows 2000. I guess I didn't choose all that well...

C=64
                www.welcome.to/pompous

p.s. As I've already stirred up some emotions in a couple of my postings, I just want to state that I'm not trying to troll, upset folks, or pick on Matrox, and I hope no one takes my comments too personally...

Comment

C=64, we still craze for those days when PnP meant something, right? Plug in your Action Replay MkIV and flip that switch, then presto, it works

Primary system is my P3-450 with my G400 without problems.
                  Secondary system is my C=64 Still in use.

Jorden.
                  Jordâ„¢

Comment

I miss the days when a ~1mhz machine with 64K of ram and 16 colors WAS state of the art...

C=64
                    www.welcome.to/pompous

Comment

Working...
                    X