Help - NT 4 -SP5 - G400 AGP, ASUS P5A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - NT 4 -SP5 - G400 AGP, ASUS P5A

Man, I was so excited to get my G400, and I am now so frustrated with it.

Problem is that once the Matrox drivers are installed, and anything above 640X480 is selected, either the video is garbage, or the machine hangs. I downloaded the last three version of the drivers and they all worked (or did not work) the same.

During the install, there are several error/warning/information modal dialogs displayed, but they are in the background, and only last for a second, so I have no idea what they are saying.

I even tried converting to W2K CR1 to see if that would help, but the beta drivers would not install at all.

Do I have a bad card? Does ASUS or ALi have problems with AGP or Matrox cards? Is this a common problem with NT and AGP?

Note: Previous (current) video card is PCI. Thus, AGP slot is an untested variable.

Please advise.

John151: When say it only displays 640X480, are you booting in VGA mode to do that? Can you change the colour depth to 256 or greater?

NT just sees AGP as a double clocked PCI slot, nothing special

Asus has problems with W2k in general, (see how many bios updates they have release in the last couple of months) but I have not heard of any NT 4 problems.

Can you try the card in another computer?

Paul

Comment

I forgot to ask, you are using a refresh rate your monitor can handle right?

Paul

Comment

It's your system combination. There's something strange with G400, P5A & WinNT. I had similar system with similar probs ~a month ago. I changed my system to Cel400 & Abit BX6 and probs are history. I tried allmost anything (with Pd4.12 because 4.22 was not available @ that time) all the way to formatting my hd(s)completely and installing all again, but nothing helped.I suggest you to try new clean installation and if that doesn't work, change your mobo to via-based. (P5A didn't work with V770 (TNT2) either (I tried, but toasted it) ). Good luck !
        -J-

Comment

Thanks to everyone on this site.

I was about to send my G400 back until I found this site. The problem was solved by simply make a bios change. The "AGP Turbo" must be disabled (default is enabled). I don't know what this option does, but disabling it is the ticket.

Thanks everyone

Comment

No, you were right with the first geuss. The ALi chipset is crap. I don't know if they even have any drivers for NT. But you can check here. www.acerlabs.com You need the AGP miniport drivers.
            Hope that helps.

HedsSpaz
            Primary System:
            MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
            120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
            Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
            Seccondary System:
            Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
            3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
            Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
            Tertiary system
            Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
            Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Working...
            X