Win2K : Should I just return my G400?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2K : Should I just return my G400?

I've tried everything now, and I still get a blue screen on startup (Win2K Rc1 and Rc2) saying "Invalid_Kernel_mode_trap 0x00000007" after installing a driver for the g400, both with the matrox win2k beta driver and the NT4 drivers. I've reinstalled Win2K multiple times, I've changed the AGP aperture, I've removed all other drivers, I've updated the card's bios, and my motherboards bios. I've enabled the video caching etc. in the bios, disabled it, enabled an irq for the VGA card, disabled it, disabled the hpt366 controller, made sure there isn't anything even remotely resembling a conflict, and nothing changes.

The card seems to work ok in Win98, but I much prefer the (usual) stability of Win2K. If anyone has any other suggestions at all, please make them known, before I throw this irritating piece of silicon in the trash.

_lunatic, at work.

------------------
    I really shouldn't be posting from work
    I really shouldn't be posting from work

Well, you can't really claim that Matrox encouraged you to use W2k, just the opposite infact. You should have checked these forums before buying a G400.

Can you boot in safe mode? If so check if your hal is the standard uniprocessor hal (ie not the acpi version) - it is under the computer heading on the device manager. If not change it.

Otherwise, if you don't mind reinstalling. Install NT 4, the NT 4 G400 drivers, then do an update to Win2K.

Paul

[This message has been edited by PaulS (edited 18 October 1999).]

Comment

Did a clean reinstall of RC2 with ACPI disabled in the .sif, the computer is labelled as MPS Uniprocessor System, I'm assuming thats due to my BP6 with a single celeron in it. Same problem with the G400 though B{ will try the NT4-upgrade idea later today.

Comment

Argh!! Unbeleivable. It works now, but the solution is kinda silly : Remove the tv-out adaptor from the second vga output. I've wasted countless hours trying everything under the sun, and the solution was as simple as pulling out a plug. I'm crawling back into my hole now.

Comment

Working...
        X