Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Via Chipset What!?!?- do ya gotta be a rocket scientist!?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Via Chipset What!?!?- do ya gotta be a rocket scientist!?!?!

Damn- I am setting up the girfriends puter and it's a FIC 2013 (via chipset) and it's crashing all the time?!?!?!

This was once my main system and it took me weeks of tweaking to get it stable.

I see it all the time on these forms... via this, via that, Pipeline, etc... so one more time...

What is the latest stable config for the via chipsets???

Joel- You had a nice confid doc??

With all these via chipset issues, one would think via would be outa bussiness by now!!!!

Oh yah- forgot something, the sys config...
    AMD K6-2 3D Now at 350MHz.... G200, a hard drive, a monitor, 64Meg, a CDROM, a floppy, and a mouse and keyboard.

Comment

Go to my home page which you can get to through my profile. The system configs are still there.

Joel
      Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
      Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Joel-

Tried all the config setting & tweaks that are on your old system and it still locks up intermittantly. Locks up about 30 sec to 1 minute after booting only if you're accessing the HDs. Left it on all night and never lock up- but it was sitting idle of course. So it seems it locks only if accessing the HDs.

Turned Bus Mast on/off no effect.
        In BIOS- turned everything to it's most stable state- no effect.

This morning, put in the Standard VGA graphics drivers and it work perfect, except, of course, no decent video modes.

One thing I didn't do yet was try the 4.51 drivers. All the above was done with 5.21. I'll try this one next.

What bugs me is I went through all this before and I am now re-inventing the wheel. When it stable it's a nice system, but #@#!!!.

Comment

dude:

have you tried switching to 1x agp? this solved many people's problems. also, have you tried to make sure your g400 is sitted correctly? try to resit it, but don't put the screw on and test it out.. of course becareful when you plug your monitor in to make sure it doesn't move the card.

also, have you tried to use the latest driver (v5.30)? some people had success on stability with it.

anyway, good luck with it.

------------------
          Glarec
          ------
          bp6-(2)433(oc488) celerons, g400max, ibm ultra scsi 9.1g, sb-live value, hitachi ss-753 19", plextor 32x, etc, etc, etc...

Glarec
          ------
          bp6-(2)433(oc488) celerons, g400max, ibm ultra scsi 9.1g, sb-live value, hitachi ss-753 19", plextor 32x, etc, etc, etc...

Comment

Dude,

run the 4 in 1 drivers from via before loading vid drivers

uninstall matrox drivers as neccesary

set it up with standard vga video card settings

Use the 5.25 drivers as there seems to be something up with 5.30 and via
            jim

------------------
            PIII-500mhz @ 620!
            Abit BE6 mobo
            128mb pc-100
            Mill G400(YAHOO!!!) 32mb @ 305 with MGATweak)
            PD 5.30
            Maxtor 13.2 gb Uata66 hdd
            SB Live!
            Winblows 98se
            DX7
            THREE BIG FANS, six little ones and a case that sounds like a turbine engine...doh!

[This message has been edited by DuRaNgO (edited 14 October 1999).]
            System 1:
            AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
            Epox 8K7A
            2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
            an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
            SBLIVE 5.1
            Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
            IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
            Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
            3Com Hardware Modem
            Teac 20/10/40 burner
            Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Dude,
              1. Leave busmastering ON for the G200.
              2. Rerun the VIA 4-in-1 after you install video drivers - it never hurts. Turbo or Normal, it doesn't seem to matter for me. But stick with 5.21 or 5.25 drivers.
              3. Turn OFF DMA on your CD-ROM.

I had the same identical problem and the CD-ROM DMA off fixed it.

RAB
              FIC503+,G200,K6-2 350,etc.
              AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

How about selling it thats what I did!!!!
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

doh!
                  System 1:
                  AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                  Epox 8K7A
                  2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                  an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                  SBLIVE 5.1
                  Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                  IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                  Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                  3Com Hardware Modem
                  Teac 20/10/40 burner
                  Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Donn't install the IRQ routing drivers if you are using win98 SE. See the Via webpage.

Comment

Woooo Whooo!!! Got it working!!! I used the 4-in-1 drivers, installing all except the bus mastering and it works. Solid as a rock. Looks just like the old days when this was my main mean machine.

I do have to say- I never have issues like this on the intel chipsets.

thanks guys

Comment

What's this about the IRQ routing drivers...? OK I won't install them when I put on the new 4-in-1, but I had them on before I upgraded from Win98 4.10.1998 to 4.10.2222... can I take them off, somehow?? Do I have to???

Thanks for the 'turn off DMA for CD-ROM' tip... maybe that's why I can't play an audio CD and my CD burner barely works...

------------------
                        Holly
                        "All you people, can't you see, can't you see
                        How his love's affecting my reality
                        Everytime I'm down, he can make it right
                        And that makes him larger than life..."
                        (...not to mention being 6'5", eh Jord...? )
                        ------------------
                        What? System specs? Oh, yes, right...well, at the moment, it's: Soyo 5EMA, K6-2 333, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, Maxtor 7GB HDD, LS-120, Promise Ultra33 EIDE controller, Diamond Monster Sound MX300, HP 8100i CD-RW, Hi-Val (Nakamichi) 16X 5-disk CD changer, Win98 +SR1...oh yeah, and a Millennium G200 8MB SGRAM.

[This message has been edited by motub (edited 15 October 1999).]
                        Holly

"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open ended program of procreative racial deconstruction."
                        -Jay Bulworth

Comment

Hey Dude,
                          could you please tell me what versions of the 4 in 1 Driver and Matrox Video Drivers you are using now? I have the same problem and this information could be helpful for me.

Thanks

CU

Comment

I am talking about the Vai 4 in 1 driver version 4.13 and powerdesk 5.30.
                            When I installed my G400 32 Mb DH I had troubles and tried to solve them by installing the latest via 4 in1 drivers. When did this I conn't get into windows or windows froze. After some experimenting I found out that this occurred when I installed the IRQ routing drivers. Now I see on the Via web page this message:

If you are using Windows 98 SE, you do not need to install the 4-in-1 driver as the IRQ Routing Driver and the ACPI Registry are already incorporated into the operating system. Users with Windows 98 SE may update the IDE Busmaster and AGP drivers by installing them individually.

To Notub, I think that when you ubdated win98 to win98 SE the IRQ routing drivers where replaced for the one of win98 SE.

Tim
                            K6 III 400, Chaitech 5AGM2, G400 32Mb DH, SB Live Value, Quantum 10.2 CX, Liteon 40X, Philips CDD 3610

Comment

Butze-
                              I used the latest ones that they have out on their web site. I downloaded last night.

The machine is still running solid and I have had no lock ups. Though, it is not used as a gaming machine.

All that I did to get it running smoothly was...

1) Boot in a stable state with the Standard PCI Video driver.

2) Install the lastest 4 in 1 via patch minus the bus master option. (running win 98)

3) Install the matrox 5.25 drivers. (haven't tried 5.3)

4) reboot

And it worked like a charm.....

The system again...
                              G200, FIC2013 ATX Motherboard (via chipset), 64 Meg, sound blaster 16, win 98 (4.10.1998)

good Luck

Comment

Working...
                              X