Help! Need to purchase cards for work, question about G400 DH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Need to purchase cards for work, question about G400 DH

We are starting to use Visual C++ at work and we are looking for a way to recycle 17" monitors. We use NT 4.0 WS and will for some time, even after Win 2k release.

Will the G400 DualHead display the desktop across two RGB monitors in NT? I looked at Matrox's site, and they state limited NT 4.0 DualHead support, but don't qualify "limited!"

------------------
    ABIT BP6, 256MB PC100 RAM, dual 366 Celerons oc'd to 550MHz, 3DFXCool 66mmLx60mmWx69mmH Lil Mofo h/s fans. Marvel G200 PCI, Canopus Pure3DII, 3COM 905B NIC, Buslogic FlashPoint LW Ultra-Wide SCSI, SB16 ISA. Segate Medalist PRO 9.1 GB UW SCSI 7200RPM, Maxtor 20.4GB ATA66 7200RPM 2MB Cache, 8GB tape b/u, IDE 32x CDROM, SCSI 4xwrite/8xread Panasonic CD writer, 4 more various 2GB SCSI drives.
    Tyan Thunder K7, 768MB Registered DDR ECC, 2xMP2200+, Radeon 9700 Pro, Adaptec 2940U2B Ultra2 SCSI, TB Santa Cruz, Pyro 1394DV. RAID 0 stripe set on hacked Promise UltraTX2 with dual WD 120MB SE drives. HP DVD200i DVD+RW drive.

With NT, both monitors have to be at the same resolution/color depth, but you can extend your desktop across both (in 98, the res/color can be independant on each monitor)
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Don't bother with them. Get a couple of cards that are actually supported properly, and run Win98 or W2K.

Both OS's support multi(up to 8)-monitor at differing resolutions, colour depths, and even phyical positions!

The G400 DH is too much money for a crap card with crap drivers.

Comment

Darnit! The forums were doing so well w/o some juvenile delinquint (sp?) coming around to talk trash. If you have an opinion, please express it in a dignified manner, or at least find something else to do when your curfew brings you home.

-Wombat
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

ever notice how some one asks a question and it gets answered, but the i hate matrox/ matrox is crap crowd has to put thire 2 cent's in even when its not asked for. i could see a reason for a response if and i do mean if it were asked for, in this case it wasn't, jeepman asked a question about nt and dualhead not what you thought it should be or weather he should use the card. stop insiteing flame wars. we don't need it or want it here. its nice that you want to voice your opinion, only do so when your asked it.

------------------
          EVIL IS GOOD. EVIL IS LIVE SPELLED BACKWARD AND WE ALL WANT TO LIVE RIGHT ?
          INTEL EVIL INSIDE, INTEL SPYCHIP INSIDE
          msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
          it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

Actually, my tirade is not directed at Matrox per se, but rather the choice of a G400 DH in this instance.

Given that - according to the Matrox blurb I've been sent - 3D hardware acceleration is not supported in an NT4/DH enviroment, then all you're really doing is paying way over the odds for the convenience of saving a single slot.

Given the cost of an OEM Mill2 is around $50 or so, and will also provide dual-monitor support (with two cards), good 2D acceleration under NT, and very mature and robust drivers (even under W2K), I'd recommend you save yourself some cash.

FWIW, this is the same config that I run at work - dual PCI Mill2 in Compaq AP400's, 5 in the dev. office and 20 on the trading desk.

Comment

Well then Puppiescum you could have answer without resulting to the childish drivel you came out with couldn't you? If you are going to answer a question then answer it properly please ther is no need for that sort of crap.

Comment

First, something relevant to the topic:

You may want to look at running a pair of video cards that support dual-monitor configurations instead of getting a dualhead g400. Especially so if your not planning on doing any 3D work. Most 2 card solutions will be less expensive, and grant you the added flexibility of recycling the cards separately into other systems if you need to replace them or stop using dual monitors in the future.

Now, for my 2-cents.

I'm sorry, maybe its just me, but I'm quite dismayed at the attitudes of what appears to be the majority of you.

I've recently started combing through the forums in hopes of finding answers to some of my questions regarding my G400 Max. During my reviewing of posts, anytime I've seen a negative comment about the G400, instead of defending the card with any useful or relevant information, the majority of you immediately attack the poster! I don't know how many postings from YuppieScum I've seen that seem to make a valid point or address a relevant issue that immediately inspire a horde of useless, insulting posts that does NO ONE any good. For crying out loud people, it's not like he's picking on your mothers!

Ant, I am really at a loss here. You berate YuppieScum, who put a post on topic (which, I'll admit, could have been stated better) that IS relevant to the person who started this thread, but don't say anything to the folks who immediately attack him without even a word of topical information? While the tone may have seemed childish, that post did state that he didn't think the G400 was the best option for what the user is planning on doing, and he went on further to suggest the user may want to go with another operating system if his concern is using multiple monitors.

Okay, so there was probably more than 2-cents worth of text there. Keep the change...

C=64
                www.welcome.to/pompous

Comment

Well in that case there is no such thing as off topic or out of bounds, as long as one sentence mentions the hardware in question.
                  Freedom is just another word for nuthin left to contribute.
                  chuck

------------------
                  ABit BH6 w/ Celery 333@500, 128mb gh@cas2, 10gb IBM@7200, SB Live Value@44kh, noname CDRom@40x, Mitsumi CDRW@2x2x8, Zoom@56k, Princeton EO75@1024x768x32x85hz, USB mouse,Matrox G400 MAX!!!!

[This message has been edited by cjolley (edited 17 October 1999).]
                  Chuck
                  秋音的爸爸

Comment

C=64 so you really think posting

"The G400 DH is too much money for a crap card with crap drivers."

is a valid contribution? You think that is a relevent statment? Well I am sorry but I don't. Jeepman asked a perfectly reasonable question that did not warrant a childish response like that. The tone did not SEEM childish it was childish.

Comment

hey ppl, G400 DH is better than 2 Vcards in 1 computer cause
                      1st: U use only 1 IRQ with g400 for 2 monitors, and 2 with 2 vcards
                      2nd: U use only 1 PCI slot with g400 for 2 monitors, and 2 with 2 vcards, so for spendling like $30 more on 1 DH is better, cause u will be able to put more stuff in your system, like a SCSI.
                      happy?

------------------
                      Matrox Millennium G400 Dual Head - English
                      Resolution 800*600
                      Color Depth 16-bit Color
                      Frame Buffer Triple buffering
                      Refresh Rate VSync Off
                      CPU Optimization AMD 3DNow!(tm)
                      3DMark Result 5420.49 3DMarks
                      Synthetic CPU 3D Speed 9142.76 CPU 3DMarks
                      Rasterizer Score 2206.33 3DRasterMarks
                      Game 1 - Race 63.58 FPS
                      Game 2 - First Person 47.24 FPS
                      Processor Type AMD-K7(tm) Processor
                      Processor Speed 500 MHz
                      Physical Memory 128 MB

Resolution 800*600
                      Color Depth 16-bit Color
                      Refresh Rate VSync Off
                      Game 1 - Race 63.58 FPS
                      Processor Speed 500 MHz
                      Physical Memory 128 MB

Comment

Speedy,

Some People are never happy...

Rags

------------------
                        Somebody give me a cheeseburger!!!

Comment

Good for you, Speedy!!! You tell 'em!!

----------
                          Holly
                          Holly

"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open ended program of procreative racial deconstruction."
                          -Jay Bulworth

Comment

hehe

and motub: tell who? |(lol)
                            Resolution 800*600
                            Color Depth 16-bit Color
                            Refresh Rate VSync Off
                            Game 1 - Race 63.58 FPS
                            Processor Speed 500 MHz
                            Physical Memory 128 MB

Comment

C=64:

The reason these morons get flamed isn't because they're criticizing the G400 (or G200 before it), but because they do so in an inflammatory manner. There's a big difference between:

This card doesn't seem to work the way it ought to. I'm not getting the benchmark numbers others are getting, although my system is a P3-600! What's up with this? Help!
                              and...

This G400Max is utter crap! It doesn't do AgP 4x, doesn't work with my VIA motherboard, and basically just sucks! Now help me fix it you idiots!
                              Yes, I'm being extreme. But I think if you scroll back you'll discover that if you ask nicely for help, and then follow our advice, we're perfectly reasonable. If, however, you come in spewing shit about how Matrox is inferior to nVidia, and drivel about 3dfx, and crap about how your system isn't configured correctly...

There was one fella who shall remain nameless who would repeatedly post things like:

I didn't change my IRQ's because that's STUPID, but this G400 is crap, and <Beloved Beta Boy X> is an idiot moron shithead!
                              I won't name names, but we all know who I'm talking about.

This behavior gets you flamed. Roasted. Flambeed. And then I pull out the BOOM stick (tm) and we party. Ok?

- Ash (I've decided I _LIKE_ Ash. Anyone have a problem?)

------------------
                              G. U. R. M. It's not hard to spell, is it? Then don't screw it up!
                              The word "Gurm" is in no way Copyright 1999 Jorden van der Elst.
                              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                              If only life were as easy as you
                              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                              If only life were as easy as you
                              I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                              X