Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is your PC ready for the next generation applications? nVidia TreeMark will tell you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is your PC ready for the next generation applications? nVidia TreeMark will tell you

http://www.geforce.com/products.nsf/.../treemark.html

Introducing the world's first GPU:
    What utter rubbish. There have been GPU's on professional openGl video cards for a long time. These guys make it sound like "The day the earth stood still"!

And for their smutty little Treemark demo. According to them my G400 will be obsolete this Christmas. Like if it cant get 30fps on the lite demo then it wont run the games coming out this Festive season. AND if it cant get 30fps on the heavy demo then I wont be able to play games coming out in 2000.
    Yeah right!
    So I do both demo's.....my results indicate an advertising campaign in nVidia's favour. Even though this test is (supposedly) applicable to all video cards (ahem....without t/l of course).

7.20461 fps for the lite

1.54121 fps for the heavy

The demo sux.

And they sneer nonchalantly,

Be careful though, if you dial up the complexity (depth) too high on a non T&L accelerated graphics card, things can get REAL slow.
    Get over your ego fella's.
    Heh.
    Sorry, it just struck me how smug they are reinventing previous technolgy. Its nothing new, it has just never been available to the commercial end user before.

Comment

Is it really that hard to give credit where credit is due? nVidia is the first to make this technology available for a low price. And they have done it well since Silicon Graphics is going to use nVidia cards in their upcoming workstations.

Comment

Franksch3:

Low price??? Compared to what, a Lamborghini Diablo?

------------------
        The Rock
        "Discourage incest - ban country music NOW!"

System:
        P2 350 /w Asus P2B /w 128 Meg PC100 SDRAM
        17.2Gig Maxtor DiamondMax HD + 6.4Gig Fujitsu HD
        Matrox G400 32Meg + SB PCI 128 Sound
        Modem Blaster 56K Modem + Panasonic 2x/4x SCSI Toaster + 32X CD-ROM

Bart

Comment

Actually, in Asia where the Creative cards have been readily available for a couple of weeks, the 32MB SDR GeForce is some US$10-40 *cheaper* than a G400 Max - and they are easier to find...

Comment

Credit for what?....for other companies technological improvements? nVidia's was simply a financial improvement on others' resources. Their brash move to take credit on this 'revolutionary technology' is misguided.
            They have achieved a new height in video card development and their economic muscle obviously reflects this. Their resources are grand enough to foster support within the industry to adopt their product's new features.

Comment

So whats new. Don't tell me that Matrox cards are soooooo good. I have one myself and I am happy about it. But it certainly isn't a great leap forward.

Comment

Ok Frank, I wont
                Thanks for your input.
                I think you missed my point there.

Comment

Well you guys can talk about Nvidia and Matrox all you want. There's a bigger problem coming up. After the earthquake in Taiwan, there are no more capacitors to be found anywhere.

Motorola just bought out every single capacitor left and just screwed everyone else. Anyone noticing a shortage of cards out there lately? If not, you will.

Ciao

Comment

people, calm down, calm down

I have a little question, why is there so much hype?
                    That is not right, when TNT2 was out, there was a lot of less hype, so there is something wrong, so Nvidia just wants to rid of their GF cards as soon as they can.

------------------
                    Matrox Millennium G400 Dual Head - English
                    Resolution 800*600
                    Color Depth 16-bit Color
                    Frame Buffer Triple buffering
                    Refresh Rate VSync Off
                    CPU Optimization AMD 3DNow!(tm)
                    3DMark Result 5420.49 3DMarks
                    Synthetic CPU 3D Speed 9142.76 CPU 3DMarks
                    Rasterizer Score 2206.33 3DRasterMarks
                    Game 1 - Race 63.58 FPS
                    Game 2 - First Person 47.24 FPS
                    Processor Type AMD-K7(tm) Processor
                    Processor Speed 500 MHz
                    Physical Memory 128 MB

Matrox Millennium G400 Dual Head - English
                    Resolution 800*600
                    Color Depth 16-bit Color
                    Frame Buffer Triple buffering
                    Refresh Rate VSync Off
                    CPU Optimization AMD 3DNow!(tm)
                    3DMark Result 5420.49 3DMarks
                    Synthetic CPU 3D Speed 9142.76 CPU 3DMarks
                    Rasterizer Score 2206.33 3DRasterMarks
                    Game 1 - Race 63.58 FPS
                    Game 2 - First Person 47.24 FPS
                    Processor Type AMD-K7(tm) Processor
                    Processor Speed 500 MHz
                    Physical Memory 128 MB

Comment

Speedy, can you try those demos above? I'd like to see what an Athlon system returns.
                      Above results from a PII333@560.

Comment

Well, somebody finally did it!
                        http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...sdr/page10.asp

Guess I am not that far off the mark with current generation technology.

Comment

GinoCyber - not only that, but all memory being produced from now until xmas has already been sold. Ain't that gonna cause problems for everyone who didn't get in quickly? Hmmm... I don't see RAM prices dropping anytime soon.
                          Also, TFT screens have just about run out of supply too. Toshiba have just given someone $8million just to make sure they have enough screens for the next 6 months.
                          Odd isn't it? After all this cheap computer stuff everywhere over the last few months, what is going wrong? I blame the eclipse.

------------------
                          Cheers,
                          Steve

PS: Some or all of the above message may be wrong, or, just as likely, correct. Depends on what mood I'm in. And what you know. ;¬)

Comment

Working...
                          X