Major Problems w/ G400 MAX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Problems w/ G400 MAX

I have a G400 MAX i just cant seam to get working correctly. Right now the only problem is that w/ bus mastering enabled D3D games and direct draw doesnt work.
    I have PowerDesk 5.3 and have tried 5.2 and 5.11.
    Currently installed DirectX is 7.0. Tired on all above PowerDesk versions. Also tried dx6 on all.
    The current set up runs the best, but still crashes in games. Before i couldnt run for more than 30 minutes before crashes.
    i have a AMD k6-2 300 on a VIA chipset board.
    i downloaded the new 4 in 1 drivers for this board.
    I also started with a clean install of Windows 98.

Please help. i dont want to have to send this card back, i like it. When its working.

K6-2 300 on VIA mo-bo
    64 megs of PC66/PC100 ? (dont knwo which, i think its 66)
    G400 MAX DH 32meg
    2 13 gig maxtors
    2 17in Sylvania f72 monitors.
    Logitech wireless Keyboard

Dyre,

Do this exactly ownload the new G400 drivers (which you have already =) ), download the 4in1 driver pack from Via (again, what you have already =) ), download the uninstall utility from Matrox, run the uninstall utility, reboot switch to standard Vga adapter and reboot, install the 4in1 driver pack in turbo mode reboot and go into your bios and disable "read around write" save settings and exit, boot into windows and run the setup for PD 5.30, reboot and you should be up to speed.

Rags

Comment

Ok cool, where would i find the "read around write' in my bios? i have award.
      also what appature size and speed sould i use on the agp? i have 64 megs ram.

Comment

Read around write is under Chipset Features Setup, or something like that. 128 is a good setting on a VIA motherboard.

Rags

Comment

Thanxs much!
          Ill give it a try and keep things posted.

Comment

Nope, no cigar. Same problem. In UT it runs for a bit w/ busmastering on, but then crashes. vertical lines everywhere. shakey ( that's spelled wrong )images and such.
            If i run with busmastering off it works fine, but slow.
            BTW should PowerDesk install a icon in control panells? i read something to that effect on matrox site. or i could have just misunderstood.
            if it was suppose to, it never has with my setup

Comment

Okay, give me a list of your IRQ assignments, and you may want to try disabling "Write Cache Pipeline" in the BIOS as well.

Rags

Comment

Also, there should be a PD ICON in your system tray, it is a blue monitor.

Rags

Comment

00 system
                  01 standard keyboard
                  02 programmable inrupt controller
                  03 com prt 2
                  04 com prt 1
                  05 irq holder for pci steering
                  05 Matrox G400
                  05 irq for PCI steering
                  06 standard floppy controller
                  07 printer port
                  08 system cmos
                  09 sound blaster 16 p&p
                  10 supramax 56k
                  10 irq holder
                  11 creative ide
                  12 cordless mouse
                  13 numeric data prccessor
                  14 VIA Bus master
                  14 primary bus master ide
                  15 VIA bus master pci ide controller
                  15 secondary bus master IDE

DUAL HEad is working right now. As is windows.
                  Still having problems in any game that uses D3D while "bus mastering" is enabled in PD
                  the PD icon appears in the tool tray also. it always has been.
                  Im stumped. I know the Matrox should be on a higher IRQ, but it doesnt want to let me pout it any higher
                  Thanx

Comment

Okay, this is an easy one. Disable plug and play OS in your PCI/Plug and Play in your bios, reserve IRQ 5 for ISA, and the G400 SHOULD magically appear on IRQ 9.

Rags

Comment

yes, but wont the my pci 56k want to be on 9 too?
                      isnt that bad.

Comment

Asumming you don't realy have an IDE device plugged into your sound card, you could pick up a free IRQ if you can find a way to dissable thi IDE port on your sound card.
                        IRQ 5 is not fast enough to keep up with what a G400 does to you memory.
                        chuck

------------------
                        ABit BH6 w/ Celery 333@500, 128mb gh@cas2, 10gb IBM@7200, SB Live Value@44kh, noname CDRom@40x, Mitsumi CDRW@2x2x8, Zoom@56k, Princeton EO75@1024x768x32x85hz, USB mouse,Matrox G400 MAX!!!!

Chuck
                        秋音的爸爸

Comment

If your modem moves to 9, then the G400 will take 10

Rags

Comment

If by your 'pci 56k' you mean your modem (which you now have on IRQ 9 according to your list) that should be on the IRQ for the com port (3 or 4 depending on whether or not you have a serial mouse).. if you mean the ISA sound card (that is an ISA sound card, isn't it?) well that ought to be on IRQ5, and the G400 should be on 9 or above, so use Rags' instructions for that...

Corrections welcome, but I think that I've got it right (lost my DOS settings chops, lately... )

------------------------
                            Holly
                            Holly

"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open ended program of procreative racial deconstruction."
                            -Jay Bulworth

Comment

Holly, you would be correct if the modem were not a "winmodem", in which case it could be on any IRQ.

Rags

Comment

Working...
                              X