Sound Blaster Awe64 Gold
    Realtek network card (isa)
    Lucent chipset modem (pci)
    Lucky Goldstar 24x cd-rom
    and 2 quantum fireball 12.7gig hd's

o/s - Win 98
    I've tried driver versions 3.20 and 3.30
    G400 is on irq 11 sharing with 'irq holder for pci steering'

Previous cards in the system have been Matrox mystique 220 and then a Voodoo 3000 agp. The Voodoo gave problems from the start, 3d was fine but in 2d it'd crash within minutes, i tweaked the bios, got new drivers even did a clean reinstall, but no luck there. So i bought the Matrox.

Before the first install i went into safe mode and removed all prior cards then went back into windows and installed the Matrox from the CD. To cut a long story short, I've flash upgraded my bios, set all my bios settings to default, grabbed the 2 latest drivers from the site and added a patch for the agp slot from gigabyte. I've also reinstalled DirectX 6.1 and reinstalled EverQuest

Now the problems i have basically are that EverQuest refuses to play, I get an error box with no message and an okay button - the tech demo that came with the card hangs the system and a 3d plug-in I downloaded for winamp says no 3dfx card is present. However I did eventually get my copy of Might and Magic 7 working so something must be okay. I did think that it was a problem with EQ but I've seen mention here of people playing it with this card.

So if anyone has any ideas before I have to resort to reinstalling from fresh on my spare drive I'd be grateful.

Morkai

[This message has been edited by Morkai (edited 17 October 1999).]

MIght be a stupid question but do you have the patches installed for that motherboard... If I remember you should have a VIA chipset requiring the 4 in 1 patch from viatech... also was USB enabled when you installed windows?

Z

Comment

The motherboard is the ALi Aladdin V AGPset not VIA - I hunted round Gigabytes site and found no mention of patches, just the bios flash upgrades which I applied.

I've never tried the USB, having had nothing to plug into it, but it is supposedly enabled.

One thing I did notice while poking around was that on the install from the CD it put a matrox directory in the root and added a line in the Autoexec.bat about VBxt? - something like that anyhow. Since i cleaned every trace of the matrox off the system and reinstalled from scratch using the new drivers i got from the site, that reference is no longer there and the only thing on the drive is the mgafold directory that I unzipped the patch into. The power desk seems to be working fine and I'm happily running in 1280*1024 at high colour 24 bit as usual.

Morkai

Comment

After playing with some plugins in winamp - it seems it's glide that doesn't work - Open GL is fine, which confuses me on Everquest cause I know that can use either/or.

M

Comment

It's VERY hard to get GLIDE set-up right for the G400!
          chuck

Infact its IMPOSSIBLE! GLIDE IS FOR VOODOO CARDS ONLY!

I'll stop shouting now.

------------------
          ABit BH6 w/ Celery 333@500, 128mb gh@cas2, 10gb IBM@7200, SB Live Value@44kh, noname CDRom@40x, Mitsumi CDRW@2x2x8, Zoom@56k, Princeton EO75@1024x768x32x85hz, USB mouse,Matrox G400 MAX!!!!

Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Ahh, gotya - I may have a good knowledge of my PC and am quite happy ripping it to bits and putting it back together again but my knowledge of 3d isn't so good. The only reason I got a 3d card was to play EQ. I'm learning slowly

M

Comment

FWIW, there are Glide wrappers out there (of questionable legality, perhaps). I've tried several of them, and I've had some success getting them to work with Glide games on my G400.

Check out the download section of the <A HREF="http://www.glideunderground.com/">Glide Underground</A> for more information.

Comment

Heh heh - I'll look into it if i ever need it thanks Must admit my gameplay is a little restricted, and those i do buy don't tend to be 3d.

At the moment all i'm worried about is getting EQ working, i've just tried removing it totally, reinstalling it again, and reinstalling DirectX 6.1 again - still no joy.

Looking at someone elses thread, I've gone through and checked the bios settings as well, they all appear to be correct, bios shadowing disabled, couldn't find anything about video cache and the Graphics Aperture Size is set to 256meg.

M

[This message has been edited by Morkai (edited 17 October 1999).]

Comment

OK, so it's AMOST impossible.
                  chuck

------------------
                  ABit BH6 w/ Celery 333@500, 128mb gh@cas2, 10gb IBM@7200, SB Live Value@44kh, noname CDRom@40x, Mitsumi CDRW@2x2x8, Zoom@56k, Princeton EO75@1024x768x32x85hz, USB mouse,Matrox G400 MAX!!!!

Chuck
                  秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                  X