A gentle suggestion...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A gentle suggestion...

For all of you having TurboGL problems, or just driver problems in general... a gentle suggestion.

Don't get offended, this isn't intended to pick on you... just to suggest some sensible things:

1. Are you overclocking your system? 90% of the people I see having problems are overclocking. Have you tried un-overclocking the system first? Be aware that although the G400 seems to be pretty forgiving, pushing the AGP bus from 66mhz to 75mhz (112 cpu bus) or beyond is a substantial deviation from the AGP spec. Not only that, but all your OTHER cards are overclocked, which generates even more problems.

2. Do you have an ABIT board? Do you have a card in the slot next to the G400? Move it, then come back to us. It's sharing an IRQ with your G400 (nothing you can do about it with an ABIT board) and is probably causing problems.

3. Is your G400 on a low IRQ (under 9)? If so, move it before complaining.

4. Did you uninstall your old drivers? All of them? Even the ones for other video cards? Here's some bad news - you may need to reinstall your system to completely get rid of drivers from a TNT or an ATI card.

5. Do you have OTHER 3D CARDS in your system? Like Voodoo cards? If so, take them out and uninstall their drivers completely before complaining.

That's all I can think of for starters. Others, feel free to add to this. I just feel compelled to post one of these once in a while when the "<THING X> JUST WON'T WORK FOR ME!" posts get out of hand.

- Gurm nee Ash nee Slartibartfast

------------------
    G. U. R. M. It's not hard to spell, is it? Then don't screw it up!
    The word "Gurm" is in no way Copyright 1999 Jorden van der Elst.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Jason, very gentle, but why twice??

Jorden, in no way copyright of Gurm's
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Well, I would have to agree.
      There seems to be numerous questions arising that are repeated.
      Fella's, try the search function of this forum. Its pretty efficient.
      Probably a lot quicker than posting a question and waiting for an answer.
      I am a first time Matrox owner from two months ago and have learnt plenty just by scanning previous questions and responses! Digesting all that didn't cause one bit of indigestion!
      Good luck.

Comment

if you have to do all that just to get the g400 working, then it kinda sucks a lot, don't you think?

Comment

1. no
          2. no, no
          3. no, it's on 10
          4. yes. there's never been another video card's drivers on the machine. Uninstalled 5.25 using Matrox Uninstall utility.
          5. no

Why would 5.25 work fine for me while 5.30 has problems in every game (including Rogue Squadron, which is D3D)? I'm just using 5.25 til they get things fixed.

PIII-600
          256MB PC133
          Tyan Thunderbolt GX Dual Slot 1
          Built-in Ensoniq Sound
          Adaptec 7896 Dual Channel U2W LVD SCSI
          Seagate Cheetah 18GB
          Plextor Ultraplex Wide CD-ROM
          Matrox Millennium G400 MAX

------------------
          Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

KVH:

Unless it's your dual GX board, I haven't a clue. SOME people (yourself among them) have an actual hardware conflict with the new drivers.

Jorden:

Hit submit twice. Sorry!

Tish:

Shut up. Just shut up. Have you OWNED any other cards? This G400 is a sheer joy compared to an ATI card. TNT cards refuse, to this day, to run on certain motherboards. In addition, they weekly screw up their driver set so badly that 25-30% of their users can't use the new drivers. I won't even START about 3dfx. Troll elsewhere.

- Gurm

------------------
            G. U. R. M. It's not hard to spell, is it? Then don't screw it up!
            The word "Gurm" is in no way Copyright 1999 Jorden van der Elst.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

Well said GURM. I was fixin' to say the same things myself.

Joel

------------------
              System Specs

[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 17 October 1999).]
              Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
              Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Working...
              X