G400 Max and IRQ's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 Max and IRQ's

I keep hearing alot of people saying that their G400's need to be on IRQ 9 or higher. Could someone please tell me why (what is the reasoning behind this)? Thanks for you time.

------------------
    BreadFan

Abit BH6, Celeron 300A @ 450 (sometimes, soon to be a PIII 500) SoundBlaster Live Value, 10.2gb IBM hard drive, 6.8gb Maxtor hard drive, Promise Ultra DMA 33 controller, Netgear FA310TX PCI Ethernet adapter and a freakin' awesome Matrox G400Max!!
    BreadFan

Asus CUSL2 mobo
    PIII 800MHz FCPGA 133MHz Bus
    512MB Crucial PC133 RAM
    30.7GB IBM 75GXP ATA/100 HD
    Soundblaster Live Platinum
    3Com 3C905-TX NIC
    Viewsonic PS790 19" Monitor
    BBNow Cable Modem Service
    Windows 2000 Professional and a freakin' awesome Matrox G400Max!!

It has to do with the way IRQs are used, or "activated", and the way Matrox cards use the IRQ.

IRQ 0-8 are edge activated.
    IRQ 9-15 are level activated.
    Matrox cards have always worked better on level activaded IRQs
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Hasn't it also to do with the AGP slot??
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

IRQ's are generally assigned as:
        0 - System Timer
        1- Keyboard
        2 - redirected to 9
        3 - com2/com4
        4 - com1/com3
        5 - lpt2 or sound card
        6 - floppy disk controller
        7 - lpt1
        8 - real-time clock
        9 - redirected to 2
        10 - available
        11 - available
        12 - ps/2 mouse
        13 - math coprocessor
        14 - primary disk controller
        15 - secondary disk controller

So you see that since irq's 9-15 are redirected through irq 2 then they have higher precedence than say irq 3. That is way you would want to have your spanking new video killer on 9+.

------------------
        Get Paid to Surf the Web! <A HREF="http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=CBM-295
        " TARGET=_blank>http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=CBM-295
        </A>
        Asus K7V
        Athlon 700
        128mb PC133 HSDRAM
        Matrox Millennium g400max
        Adaptec 2940U2W
        IBM 9gb U2W
        Plextor 8/20 cdr
        Diamond MX300
        3com 905b-tx

Comment

Each IRQ has also priority over the BUS before other... The main line is : 0, 1, 2, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Hence giving a card an IRQ of 9 10 or 11 is the best thing to have since it will have priority over the other devices...

Comment

Yeah, I'm glad you asked that one Bread. I was curious about it myself. Though it hasn't seemed to be a problem for me as the G400 has aquired IRQ5 and no hiccups so far.

[This message has been edited by Frank (edited 16 October 1999).]

Comment

Wow, I just decided to look, and I've got IRQ's to spare! Neat-o:

[rob@gnwy37 /proc]$ cat interrupts
              CPU0
              0: 4813225 XT-PIC timer
              1: 64573 XT-PIC keyboard
              2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
              5: 1013760 XT-PIC soundblaster
              8: 1 XT-PIC rtc
              10: 639364 XT-PIC eth0
              12: 822915 XT-PIC PS/2 Mouse
              13: 1 XT-PIC fpu
              14: 287722 XT-PIC ide0
              15: 89071 XT-PIC ide1
              NMI: 0
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

You guys have unravelled one of the great mysteries of life for me. I'm saving this page.

Paul
                paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

OK, now that y'all have answered that, how do I get my Max on IRQ 9 or higher. Currently, my IRQ's are as follows:

00 System Timer
                  01 Keyboard
                  02 Interrupt Controller
                  03 Free
                  04 Free
                  05 G400 Max
                  05 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
                  06 Floppy Disk
                  07 LPT1
                  08 CMOS/Real Time Clock
                  09 Free
                  10 SBLive Value
                  10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
                  11 NIC
                  11 USB Controller
                  11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
                  12 Promise Ultra33 Controller
                  12 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
                  13 Numeric Data Processor
                  14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI IDE Controller
                  14 Primary IDE Controller
                  15 Intel PCI IDE Controller
                  15 Secondary IDE

I have tried the rearranging bit (right now it is PCI0=empty, PCI1=Live Value, PCI2=NIC, PCI3=Promise Controller, PCI4 & 5=empty), the only one I can't try is PCI1=Promise controller because I have 2 hard drives connected to it and I cannot insert a card in the slot below it. I have to keep USB on because my mouse is USB. Thanks for your time.

------------------
                  BreadFan

Abit BH6, Celeron 300A @ 450 (sometimes, soon to be a PIII 500) SoundBlaster Live Value, 10.2gb IBM hard drive, 6.8gb Maxtor hard drive, Promise Ultra DMA 33 controller, Netgear FA310TX PCI Ethernet adapter and a freakin' awesome Matrox G400Max!!
                  BreadFan

Asus CUSL2 mobo
                  512MB Crucial PC133 RAM
                  3Com 3C905-TX NIC

Comment

put your usb on irq5 and g400 on irq 11

Comment

BreadFAn,
                      If you're using the Promise card, are you also using the on-board IDE controllers? If not, you could turn some off and reclaim IRQs 14 and/or 15.

-Wombat
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Hey Bread, I tried this last night after reading you thread (edited) and the helpful responses from others. It worked for me. And since you have an Abit mobo too, it should for you.
                        I noticed last night my IRQ 9 was free. So is yours.
                        Goto the bios, under PNP/PCI Configuration.
                        On the right hand side it lists the
                        PIRQ Use IRQ No. Auto
                        from 1 to 4.
                        Now I have nothing in the PCI slot next to my G400 so this worked for me. If you have something in that PCI slot I am not sure if this will work.(AGP and PCI slot1 apparently share IRQ)
                        Change the first setting from
                        PIRQ_1 Use IRQ No. :Auto
                        to
                        PIRQ_1 Use IRQ No. :9

Save and reboot.
                        LMK if this works for you as it has for me.
                        Thanks for bringing this topic up!
                        I had no prob at IRQ5 but everyone says IRQ9 and above and I had the opportunity so there!

[This message has been edited by Frank (edited 17 October 1999).]

Comment

Frank, you da man. Thanks for the info on how to put the card on IRQ 9. It worked like a charm. rickn, how do I change the IRQ for the USB controller? I've tried every way I know, but it will only stay at 11. Now that I have IRQ 5 available, it would rock to be able to put either the USB controller or the NIC on IRQ 5. If anyone has any insight on how to do this it would be greatly appreciated. Wombat, I am using the promise card and the onboard IDE ports, so I can't turn anything off. Thanks to everyone for the help, you guys RULE!!

------------------
                          BreadFan

BreadFan

Asus CUSL2 mobo
                          512MB Crucial PC133 RAM
                          3Com 3C905-TX NIC

Comment

Breadfan:

The ABIT Mobo's work like this:

AGP0 + PCI1 = IRQA
                            PCI2 = IRQB
                            PCI3 = IRQC
                            PCI4 + PCI5 + USB = IRQD

So you can't make your USB stop sharing an IRQ with the NIC. But then again, who cares? Most NIC's share nice. Part of the PCI spec is sharing IRQ's, some cards just don't do it properly.

Now can anyone say for SURE that the IRQ's 9 and above get PRECEDENCE over 3-8? I always thought they were just level instead of edge... and the "redirect" thing is because certain ISA cards wouldn't let you have an IRQ other than 2, 3, 4, 5, 7... most notably MIDI cards.

- Gurm, who has been doing hardware for TOO MANY YEARS

------------------
                            G. U. R. M. It's not hard to spell, is it? Then don't screw it up!
                            The word "Gurm" is in no way Copyright 1999 Jorden van der Elst.
                            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                            If only life were as easy as you
                            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                            If only life were as easy as you
                            I would still get screwed

Comment

I have manually set my G400 on IRQ11 and USB Controller IRQ5 in my Award BIOS setup. This is due to stability reasons after many trial and errors.

However, Win98 insists that both G400 and USB should share IRQ11, and IRQ5 to be used only by SBLive! DOS Emulation.

Can IRQ5 be shared by both USB and SBLive! DOS Emulation? If yes, how? I do not want my G400 to share an IRQ and cause stability problems!!

BTW, I've no more spare IRQs...
                              Thanx!! :-D

------------------
                              AsusP5A rev1007, K6-400 o/c to 448 (112*4), 128Mb Micron PC100 -8E SDRAM, G400 OEM 16Mb AGP, IBM 16GP 8.4, Quantum ST 3.2A, Toshiba 32X CDROM, HP CDWriter 7570i, SBLive! Value, Intel EtherXpress Pro 100TX NIC, Motorola CableModem, RIC 17" Monitor, HP Deskjet 710C, Altec Lansing ACS45 & Cambridge PCWorks
                              Abit KT7A-RAID, TBird AVIA 1ghz o/c 1.3ghz, 256Mb Infineon PC133 SDRAM, G400 32Mb DH, Maxtor DM+60 30G, Quantum Fireball ST 3.2, Toshiba 32X, HP CDWriter 9100i, Samsung 700IFT, HP Deskjet 710C, Philips Acoustic Edge, Sirocco Crossfire

Comment

Working...
                              X