G400 & W2K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 & W2K

Has anyone seen worthwhile drivers for this combination?

Even build 2128 doesn't support the card natively, and the NT4 driver is marginal at best.

W2K drivers are not out yet, so I suppose we'll have to wait another couple of months before we see anything. It could be due to the fact that 2000 is still in BETA testing, although it would be very nice to see support for the card when 2000 hits the shelves. It's possible that support will be addressed when Matrox makes the rumoured recoded drivers for DX 7 - it would make sense since 2000 is to ship with its version of DX 7. I hope Matrox hurries up, as this will be the only issue affecting my take up of Win 2000 when its released.

------------------
    Sometimes, just sometimes, the things I say make sense!
    Sometimes, just sometimes, the things I say make sense!

Comment

If you are a developer you can register at the Matrox Developer site and DL beta Win2000 drivers.

MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
      Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
      512MB regular Crucial PC2100
      Matrox P
      X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
      LianLiPC70

Comment

I'm already a registered developer, but there are no drivers on the site.

The only sign is a caption stating that alpha drivers will be available in early September.

...Correction, the site has changed since last Friday, and now says early October.

I'm really glad I didn't pay for my card. This level of non-support is very annoying, when other companies can manage quite well.

Comment

Thats what I was told when I inquired with tech support about Win2000 drivers. Since I am not a developer and denied access I could only accept that as truth.
          MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
          Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
          512MB regular Crucial PC2100
          Matrox P
          X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
          LianLiPC70

Comment

Ok, I´am a developer and Matrox granted me access to the developer sites.
            If you want to download newest drivers you must get an other password. I requested it about a month ago. But no response at all....

I don´t think I will develope for the G400 due to this. Even if they don´t belive that I am a developer - they should give me a response.

Hard time for support... but I don´t think I will suffer.

TIQQ

Comment

You could argue that Win2k is a Beta product and therefor we should not expect support, though as from the intrest in the thread you can see that many people are already using it.

By the time Win2k gets it's offical release and matrox start supporting it, the next generation of cards will be widly available.

It's just a shame that people who don't usually come to these groups untill after they have bought their G400's, instead of before.

Pige

Comment

Several things:

> Yes.. not supporting a BETA OS is bad..

Yes. Not providing BETA testers BETA drivers for a BETA OS _IS_ bad, and shows a lack of commitment to the end users.

When all is said and done, W2K hasn't just "appeared" in the last few days. The OS has been available in pre-release form for at least 6 months, and like many others I have been involved in eval-ing and prep-ing this on behalf of my company, as have many IHV and ISV, in order to ensure that our products work well in the new environment.

This process is greatly aided when IHVs provide pre-release drivers for their hardware, so we can test in as many combinations as possible, and ensure that our target audience are supported from day one.
                At this late stage in the game, the only manufacturer who has failed to support their flagship product IN ANY WAY is Matrox.

This is unacceptable.

Even worse is the lack of response from the Matrox DevRel group. The Matrox mail server is now even refusing connections.

> It's just a shame that people who don't
                > usually come to these groups untill after
                > they have bought their G400's, instead of
                > before.

True, but at least I can make sure that none of my users (my company has 28,000 people) get unsupported hardware.

I can also return this eval POS G400 and get a GeForce or a S2000 instead.

Comment

This level of non-support is very annoying, when other companies can manage quite well.
                  Yes.. not supporting a BETA OS is bad..

_
                  B

Comment

When I see a dumb post like the one Buuri made, I feel itchy and scratchy and wanto reply and say "hey that's not true. that's silly to say".

But when I then see an intelligent and informative post like the one YuppiScum put up after him, I feel eased and comforted.

I wonder why. Maybe these white boxes we stare at actually has feelings, or give us feelings, or err....

Buuri, no offense, I like your postings, just not this one

Well, As said, there's an Alpha 2 G400 win2k driver avaliable for download with a "Separate password". This driver is what I've been waiting for, hungering for, drooling for etc.

Anyone got the new password?

------------------------
                    If you're robbing a bank, and your pants suddenly fall down, I think it's okay to laugh, and to let the hostages laugh too, because come on, life is funny.

Comment

When I see a dumb post like the one Buuri made..
                      This discussion has been on for a long before this thread was founded, and I have explained my aspect many times before. Hence the sarcastic remark..

But really it's only wise for Matrox not to put out the drivers before W2K is in it's final form. Remember that the final DX7 for end users was only released last week, and do you think that MS would allow you to say that your driver is W2K without DX7 support?
                      You know that people at Matrox are rumoured to rewrite the whole drivers in order to properly implement all DX7 features, so how long do you think that it's going to take?
                      While the alpha drivers were realesed today, I'd say Matrox are right on schedual for realease of full drivers when W2K hits the shelves.

And about the "informative post" from YuppiScum, it's true that BETA versions of W2K have been out for a while, but it wasn't until RC1 that DirectX7 was there! And even that version was early beta of it (DX7). Have you any idea how much those BETA versions change during their paths to final releases? Have you any idea how much extra work for Matrox that would have been to write new drivers for every build of DX7 there was?
                      How can you release drivers for API that hasn't existed for 1 month in it's final form? You'd rather do the betatesting yourself and then cry about how the drivers aren't working? (Did you have G200 last fall? Was it fun for you?)

_
                      B

[This message has been edited by Buuri (edited 09-29-1999).]

Comment

Yes I had the G200 since September. Yes I enjoyed betatesting Matrox's drivers. No I did not bitch about it. Yes I realise not everyone is like this. I understand that beta drivers are just what the name implies...for freaking testing. Unfortunately not everyone does. That may be why matrox now releases only non-beta drivers to the public (except that beta ICD)
                        [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                        Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                        Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                        Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                        Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Hey Dell is Shipping systems LOADED with W2K beta and they have tech support for it. It sucks that there is not even a workable solution. I have W2k server and professional sitting in a drawer because I have a G400.

Comment

LAMFDTK-

I hear that loud & clear. I have win2k installed but I haven't been able to use it since I bought this darn G400. I've tried every combination of drivers/hardware etc etc and still nothing. NT 4 drivers work eh? Hah! Even if they do work there are artifacts and all other crazy shit on the screen. I've replaced my g400 with my old g200 probably 4 times because I just can't figure out if my Video card is worth more than using win2k. Ah well. I'll just wait it out I guess. Peace.

------------------
                            CitrixSCU

P2-400, Intel MB, 14.5 Gig IBM Deskstar, Tekram DC-390U2W SCSI controller, 9.1 Gig Baracuda, SB Live!, G400 MAX, 19" Hitachi, 128 Megs PC100, etc.
                            CitrixSCU

P2-400, Intel MB, 14.5 Gig IBM Deskstar, Tekram DC-390U2W SCSI controller, 9.1 Gig Baracuda, SB Live!, G400 MAX, 19" Hitachi, 128 Megs PC100, etc.

Comment

I'm tired of all the whining "its a beta product"....WELL DUH! Thats more the reason to get beta drivers into it to find interopibility bugs! And also to have your drivers native to the product! The Voodoo3 has w2k support, the tnt2 has w2k support. It is plain and simple....MATROX isn't ready to support NT YET!!! There drivers are crap on NT and ok on 9x.
                              Asus K7V
                              Athlon 700
                              128mb PC133 HSDRAM
                              Matrox Millennium g400max
                              Adaptec 2940U2W
                              IBM 9gb U2W
                              Plextor 8/20 cdr
                              Diamond MX300
                              3com 905b-tx

Comment

Working...
                              X