Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Something very wrong just happend!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Something very wrong just happend!!!

My G400 Max was working just fine until 2 days ago, when it just stopped running OpenGL Applications. Even in D3D (Homeworld) I get strange patterns on the screens and menus. In Quake 2, I experimented a bit, and discovered that it would not run in full screen OpenGL in 640x480, 800x600, or 1024x768, but it would run in a window for these resolutions, as well as full screen for anything higher than 1024x768, and lower than 640x480 (Is the wierd or what?!?!). When I try to run full screen mode, a mouse cursor appears in the middle of the screen, and it seems to move quake to the background, where it locks up, and I have to rebood. Every now and then, it doesn't lock up, but instead boots me back to a windows desktop, except all my icons on the desktop are black boxes, and strange graphic glitches can be seen everywhere, like diappearing icons and text. Quake 3 Does the same thing; when loading up a map in the console, the mouse cursor suddenly pops up, and I am able to move the mouse around, but Quake 3 locks up

My system specs are:

Microsoft Windows 98 SE
    Pentium III 450MHz
    ASUS P3B-F
    128MB SDRAM (PC100)
    Matrox G400 Max DH 32MB
    Aureal SQ2500
    3Com Etherlink XL (x2)
    Adaptec 2940UW
    Pioneer 303s DVD

As I mentioned before, the setup WAS working up until 2 days ago, so I know it's not a hardware conflict. I've tried re-formatting my system, and re-installing Windows 98 SE + the Matrox 5.30 TurboGL drivers (which install flawlessly). Matrox diagnostics reports nothing. Matrox miniDiag locks up my system though (BSOD), but not in DOS mode. I've also tried whiping my BIOS, and starting from scratch (whiping, meaning that after the whipe and the first program of the EPROM, the return message is "Your EPROM has been programmed 1 time(s)". I've tried to revert back to a 2.13, 2.15, 2.20, and 2.25 drivers, thinking that it might be TurboGL related, but the same the happens with the full ICD. I've also tried re-seating the card, as well as taking everything in my system out except for the G400Max. In terms of registry editing, I've tried disabling bus-mastering, and forcing AGP 1x. I also went into my system bios and adjusted everything from AGP aperature to VGA palette snoop, but it just doesn't seem to make a difference.

If anyone has any insight as to what might be the problem, please reply. Personally, I think that it might be a hardware problem, in which case I'd be out of a computer system for longer than I can afford. Anyhow, thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Larry

put everything back to default, uninstall ALL matrox drivers, then reinstall the latest drivers
    jim

------------------
    PIII-500mhz @ 620!
    Abit BE6 mobo
    128mb pc-100
    Mill G400(YAHOO!!!) 32mb @ 165/205 with MGATweak)
    PD 5.30
    Maxtor 13.2 gb Uata66 hdd
    SB Live!
    Winblows 98se
    DX7
    FOUR BIG FANS, six little ones and a case that sounds like a turbine engine...doh!

System 1:
    AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
    Epox 8K7A
    2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
    an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
    SBLIVE 5.1
    Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
    IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
    Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
    3Com Hardware Modem
    Teac 20/10/40 burner
    Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

I've done that a million times though. I've even formatted my HD a second time, to no avail. I don't know what's going on. I mean, I haven't changed any hardware configurations since the last time I formatted. Everything is the exact same.

Larry

Comment

Don't know much, but I do know that when you get all your icons appearing as black boxes, that's an "out of memory" error (Windows doesn't have enough memory to display your icons).

Could your DIMM have come unseated, or gone bad??

---------------
        Holly
        Holly

"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open ended program of procreative racial deconstruction."
        -Jay Bulworth

Comment

I can check that.....I'll post again telling you what happend....

That is a good point though...

The other weird thing I noticed was that DXDiag reported 136MB of video memor ...hehehe... before I installed DX7. But then it went back to 32MB.....

Larry

Comment

set your aperture in your bios to 128mb if it's not already
            jim

also, was this an oem card? almost sounds like it's o/c'd

[This message has been edited by DuRaNgO (edited 16 October 1999).]
            System 1:
            AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
            Epox 8K7A
            2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
            an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
            SBLIVE 5.1
            Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
            IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
            Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
            3Com Hardware Modem
            Teac 20/10/40 burner
            Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

I specified before that it was a G400Max DH, I thought that it would make it clear that it was a retail version, since the Max only comes in retail. Anyway, no, it's not overclocked. It's a retail, Dual Head, Max version of the G400. I've re-seated almost every component in my system. It still does it with the Max in by itself. I'm starting to thing that it was a power surge or something.

Larry

Comment

check the nanosecond speed on the memory chips... they do say 5 ns??

Just a hunch
                Jordâ„¢

Comment

We spend alot of cash on our 'puters, yet for a long time all I had was a surge protector.

Since I got an APC Universal Power Supply, I hear the thing kick in and out a couple of times a day. Check the log and I see brownouts and spikes occur frequently, just like APC says.

Could explain some of the problems that we don't have an explanation to.

MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                  Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                  512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                  Matrox P
                  X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                  LianLiPC70

Comment

Thanks guys, I think I'm going to do that, although I think now, after some tests, it might be more than the video card...

1) RAM. 1 x 128 MB, if replaced with a 32MB stick, system boots up fine. If 128MB is put in, then system syas "Explorer.exe -> Illegal Operation on bootup" only if Matrox Drivers are installed. HOWEVER, if I put my 128MB in WITH my 32MB dimm, it boots up fine. Also, if I switch positions of my cards, it boots up fine (still doesn't run quake2/3 though.)

2. Motherboard. I try my ram, and my videocard on someone else's computer and it seems to work fine! ARGH!!!!

3. I try G200 on my computer, and boots up without a hitch, and runs quake 2/3...slow as hell, but it runs...

Too many variables...driving nutz!!!!!

Larry

Comment

A power-surge can break more than just the G400, although my G400 was working okay before the freak thunderstom hit here... after that it got problems, so yes, maybe through the phonelines or the powerlines your G400 did get a 'kick' ... RMA it and see if the new one does this as well...

Jorden

------------------
                      Official MURC-police
                      -------------------
                      the way you're bathed in light
                      reminds me of that night
                      god laid me down into your rose garden of trust
                      and I was swept away
                      with nothin' left to say
                      some helpless fool
                      yeah I was lost in a swoon of peace
                      you're all I need to find
                      so when the time is right
                      come to me sweetly, come to me
                      come to me
                      ------------
                      Holly's Love Rules !!
                      ------------

Jordâ„¢

Comment

In my experience, there is always some kinds of ram that just don't like some motherboards. Try taking back your 128 meg dimm to wherever you got it and get it replaced with a different brand if it's an option. If it's still new (within 30 days) most stores will give you your money back if it's incompatable like it sounds. What kind of RAM is it? I haven't seen much that's not compatable with ASUS BX boards..

Comment

I'm going to try that, but what really bugs me is that it worked for a LONG time before....So, I think something in there is broken...Right now, I'm thinking it's the motherboard, since I can run the G400 with my RAM on my friend's system. He's has the same mobo. The problem is, that's very hard to prove, because he doesn't have a SCSI adapter, and I do. If I remove the SCSI adapter or my sound card, it will work. If I stick both of them in, it doesn't work. SO it MIGHT be a hardware conflict, but I can't seem to find any, and I've manually assigned IRQs and memory address to each and every peripheral on my system, with the same outcome. I keep on going in a circle of hardware, every 5 mins changing my mind on what the culprit(s) are. Perhaps a powersurge killed two or more things, and I should just go buy a new computer..heheh

Larry

Comment

Working...
                          X