still a turboGL problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• still a turboGL problem

I still haven't seen an answer on this subject, so I thought I would clearly ask it again.

I just go a new computer, and I put in a plain g400 32mb DH, only video card to touch the motherboard. Used the cd drivers, then the latest off of murc, then recently put on 5.3x with turboGL (I have a p3_450@450).

So, I fire up q3t and the entire system hangs. Restart, same thing. Uninstall tgl, everything is fine. Hmmm ....

So, then I use the driver uninstaller from matrox to [hopefully] clear everything. Then reinstall 5.3x with tgl, fire up q3t, it works. Great. Next day, try q3t, same exact crash as before. Hmmm...

What is going on here. The same exact thing happens for half-life and unreal. Sometimes it will fire up, sometimes it won't (and when it doesn't, it is ugly). About 1 out of 4 tries the games will start.

I have isolated it to a tgl problem, because whenever I use the utility to uninstall, everything is great. There are no hang ups on install, everything is apparantly fine.

So, I don't know what else to do. My computer is about 3 weeks old, so there isn't a bunch of old shit hanging around, everything is clean.

Sorry this is so long, but I just wanted to be clear. Does anyone have a fix for this? Have Kruzin, Ant, Haig seen anything like this before.

thanks in advance -joe

Ahhh ... why hasn't anyone replied??

Was the description too long, the subject not compelling enough? Dammit, I need some help, somebody must have some answers! Please.

-joe

Comment

System Specs?? as in: what's more inside your PC besides the P3-450?
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

As many specs as possible.
        Hang in there!
        chuck

------------------
        ABit BH6 w/ Celery 333@500, 128mb gh@cas2, 10gb IBM@7200, SB Live Value@44kh, noname CDRom@40x, Mitsumi CDRW@2x2x8, Zoom@56k, Princeton EO75@1024x768x32x85hz, USB mouse,Matrox G400 MAX!!!!

Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Sorry, I didn't post system specs because I didn't think it was totally relevant, since it was narrowed to TurboGL problem, but what do I know.

So, to be completely thurough (and certainly excessive):

+ p3-450@450
          + Abit BE6 (using highpoint dma/66)
          + 64MB PC100 (too damn expensive)

+ Quantom Fireball Plus KA DMA/66
          + 3.5 floppy, Zip100 internal (Pri Slave)
          + Toshiba SD-M1212 DVD (Pri Master)

+ Matrox G400 32MB DH (in AGP, not oc'd)
          + 3Com EtherlinkXL 10/100 (in pci3)
          + SoundBlaster Live! (in pci4)

+ ViewSonic G790
          + IN-WIN ATX mid case
          + Microsoft Nat Keyboard (rev1)
          + Logitech Mouseman Wheel
          + Altec Lansing ACS-295
          + 3M Precise Mousing Surface (waves)

Okay, that is it, hope I didn't miss anything. Please send any help my way, I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks -joe

Comment

Okay, first of all put your zip and DVD on secondary channel then disable your primary controller. Then, uninstall the 3COM drivers for your nic, download the "basic drivers and use those instead. Then make sure that you are using the latest drivers for your SB Live!. Also check your IRQ's, actually list them here.

Rags

Comment

Very relevent.
              Think of it this way.
              Inside your computer data is flowing around like a stream in a field.
              Pre G400 = Pretty stream in quiet meadow.
              With G400 = Raging river rapidly flowing.
              With TurboGl = Any loose places in the dikes or badly functioning bridge abuttments and you've got yourself an out-of-control flood! Uprooting trees, undermining house foundations, and generaly tearing up everything.
              We would like the plans for your bridge abuttments, dikes, etc.
              chuck

------------------
              ABit BH6 w/ Celery 333@500, 128mb gh@cas2, 10gb IBM@7200, SB Live Value@44kh, noname CDRom@40x, Mitsumi CDRW@2x2x8, Zoom@56k, Princeton EO75@1024x768x32x85hz, USB mouse,Matrox G400 MAX!!!!

[This message has been edited by cjolley (edited 14 October 1999).]
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Rags

Hold on there a second cowboy, I am not going to go tearing apart my computer, disabling shit, etc ... I got a new video drivers, that is all, that doesn't seem very efficient.

But, I do NOT think I have the latest sound drivers, so I will do that.

The IRQ's are:

G400 5 (that isn't good, huh?)
                Enet 11
                Live! 10

Hope you have some new fixes. Shouldn't the display be on a higher interrupt? If so, how do I change it, just assign it manually? What should I assign it to?

thanks -joe

Comment

rjcarr,
                  1. The G400 needs a higher irq. The irqs below 9 are not fast enough.
                  2. Your SBLive drivers must be 2.01 or higher.
                  3. Be sure that you do not have a pci card in the slot next to your G400.
                  4. You can set the IRQs for some of your slots in the BIOS.
                  chuck

------------------

Chuck
                  秋音的爸爸

Comment

Chuck-

Thanks, I think you (and Rags) solved it, it must be IRQ ... from your message.

1) Umm ... problems
                    2) Done
                    3) Check
                    4) There is the problem

I can't figure out how to f'n do it. I was hoping somebody is using the SoftMenuII (or whatever, with the Bx6 where x=M,E,X, etc) out there and could help me with it. Can't figure out the PIRQ's or the INT#.

Plus, I looked in my Win98 Irq resouce settings, and there is a device on every number. Can the g400 share one? Which one do I share it with? HELP!

Thanks guys, I know I will get it figured out soon. -joe

Comment

joe,

You can find out how mine are set up here -> http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/005208.html

Give us a list of what devices are using which IRQs. All of them.

Do you have the latest bios for your motherboard?

The G400 is so active it is not a good choice for IRQ sharing.

Keep hangin in there.

chuck
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Joe,

Not to be rude, but Rags is only trying to help. You _may_, in the end, get away without popping the top off your case. You may not. You may have to rearrange cards. ABIT makes some of the best boards in the business for cheap, but they can be picky about slot assignments.

Also, how old is the BE6? Sounds pretty new but if it's part of the first couple shipments (2-3 months old) it could have voltage problems.

And yes, your IRQ needs to be higher. It's in one of the advanced setups in the BIOS. Don't be confused by the INT# garbage. It works like this:

AGP & PCI0 = INTA
                        PCI1 = INTB
                        PCI2 = INTC
                        PCI3 & 4 & USB = INTD

So set them accordingly. And remember not to put anything in PCI0.

Also, if you do what you were told and move your drives to the secondary controller, you can free up IRQ 14.

Also, if you disable unused serial ports (I only keep one of mine active for my Palm Pilot) you can free up an IRQ as well.

- Gurm

------------------
                        G. U. R. M. It's not hard to spell, is it? Then don't screw it up!
                        The word "Gurm" is in no way Copyright 1999 Jorden van der Elst.
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                        I would still get screwed

Comment

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help, even though I am getting it in a rather peculiar way.

>>Also, if you do what you were told

I agree that _I_ was the one asking for help, but I don't think that I should do things to my computer that I don't understand why I did them. I would just get into deeper trouble. So, when he (Rags, I think) is telling me to remove this, disable that, of course I am not going to do it. But when you (Gurm) tells me _why_ I am doing these things, not only do I understand, but I _learn_.

Thanks again, I will let you know how everything turns out this evening.

--joe

Comment

Okay, I just got home, and I think I fixed it. But, since learing is the topic of this post, I would like to know what I did.

In my bios, in the pci/pnp part, I did what the previous post told me to do, and put:

PIRQ_0: 12
                            P 1: 11
                            P 2: 10
                            P 3: 9

But I am not sure what that is doing. Please let me know.

Also, since you guys are so swift on interupts, I am going to list what all of mine are, and if anyone sees a conflict, please tell me and how I should fix it.

Saddle up, there are a lot ...

00 System timer
                            01 Keyboard
                            02 Prog Int Controller
                            03 Com port 2
                            04 Com port 3
                            05 printer
                            06 floppy controller
                            07 sblive! sb16 emulation
                            08 System CMOS
                            09 PCI to USB Univ Host Controller
                            10 UDMA Controller
                            10 UDMA Controller
                            10 3Com EthernetXL
                            11 g400
                            11 irq holder for pci steering
                            12 ps/2 mouse
                            13 numeric data processor
                            14 master ide controller
                            14 primary ide controller
                            15 master ide controller
                            15 secondary ide controller

Okay, thanks again you guys (or girls)
                            --joe

Comment

Ok Joe,

What you are doing on that particular screen is assigning unique IRQ lines to particular slots on your motherboard. You're basically counteracting Plug 'n' Play. Normally you wouldn't have to, but many of today's cards don't "play nice" with other cards... and Windows is generally too stupid to fix these conflicts itself.

The only conflict I see on that list is that you really ought not to have more than one thing on IRQ 10 (right now you have your hard drives AND your NIC there).

To fix this, make another free IRQ and change the assignment for your NIC slot. to free up an IRQ, disable one of your com ports or one of your regular IDE channels. This will free up IRQ 3 or 4, or 14 or 15 respectively.

- Gurm

------------------
                              G. U. R. M. It's not hard to spell, is it? Then don't screw it up!
                              The word "Gurm" is in no way Copyright 1999 Jorden van der Elst.
                              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                              I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                              X