RT2000- when will it run on BeOS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RT2000- when will it run on BeOS?

A Hyperdrive operating system for audio/video production and Matrox has not developed support for it? Why?
    It could only take full advantage of the RT2000 full capabilities. Be has developed their Media API for developers, what other aspects does Matrox need to put together the drivers?

Why Windows?
    - by Jeff B

Aftermarket vendors of plug in cards and software for the huge installed base of PC users running Windows all came into being BECAUSE of the proliferation of Windows. In other words, these companies never would’ve EXISTED, were it not for the success of the PC and Windows. So, why would any company like that write drivers and/or software for some other operating system? The people who run these companies aren’t intellectuals or idealists. They’re not spending any of their time analyzing which operating system might be the best match for their product. All they’re doing is scrambling around to make a buck on the coat-tails of Windows’ commercial success.

Personally, I think that Windows is one of the worst examples of the profit motive since John D. Rockefeller. With the resources that Bill Gates controls, Windows could easily have evolved into the best operating system by now. But Bill chose to be a greedy little prick, and the result is painful for anyone who bothers to investigate how much better other operating systems have a potential to be.

So, asking WHY one only has drivers and software for Windows is like asking WHY you’re stuck driving a car with an internal combustion engine: the big money fixed things so that you got no choice, Jack!

------------------------------------------

I wrote that a couple years ago, possibly before I even got into NLE. It took me a while to figure out where the heck I had stored it, but it's even more interesting to me now. With the US Justice Dept's antitrust suit against Microsoft, there's now the prospect of MS getting broken up into 'baby bills', the same way that Bell Telephone got broken up into 'baby bells' several years ago. It sure would be nice to have that happen, cuz maybe then the splinter company that ended up with just the OS would actually make it work!

I'm with you in spirit, sscheppel, but I know that Matrox can't be expected to invest in drivers for an OS that won't give them a viable return. I mean, they've already figured that it won't be viable for them to support NT on the RT2000, either! Hopefully, some day this will change, and it WILL be profitable for aftermarket vendors like Matrox to do things like that.

Comment

Jeff B. your original article is very prescient. Hopefully Matrox will realize that all the Prosumers are looking for the fastest low cost way to make their productions broadcast quality. Once they show the support before someone else does, the RT2000 will sell faster. I am surprised that they are not even supporting NT since all the major animation software runs on it.
      Do you work for Matrox? If not hopefully a decision maker there will take a look at this.
      Cheers
      Stephen

Comment

The reasons for not supporting NT4 or BeOS are very simple and understandable:

1. The RT2000 requires features in DirectX that exist in versions 6.x and above. Windows NT4 only supports DirectX 3.

2. NT4 will be a deadend product once Windows 2000 is released. Would you expect them to create a Win 3.1 version too?

3. I agree that BeOS is a killer OS for graphics apps, but developing drivers for a complex product like the RT2000 in new OS is a very expensive proposition. How do you expect them to financially justify the expense when there are so few BeOS users who match the demographics of the RT2000's target market?

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by DrMordrid (edited 05 December 1999).]

Comment

Do I work for Matrox? Nope. I work for a little broadcast equipment manufacturer: fiberoptic link stuff for video and audio.

Hey Doc! Has the four months of waiting for the RT2000 crippled your sleep cycle as badly as it has mine? This is almost as painful as the months we waited for the RR-S version 2.1 to get released! I think that one took about six months, though, so they haven't quite broken the record yet...

Comment

Nope. My sleep cycle is just fine ;-))

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
            X