No announcement yet.

"Cellular Phone Sounding A Death Tone"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Cellular Phone Sounding A Death Tone"?

Has anybode else experienced this:

Whenever I get my cell phone close (about 0.75 meters) to my system, the whole thing crashes; the whole screen gets garbled, and I have to hit reset ... talk about electric smog.

I'd guess that something in your PC isn't shielded correctly, but more importantly... If it can do that to your PC from nearly a meter, imagine what it's doing to your head from only a few millimeters???

Just a thought...

Bill

------------------
    People call me a computer god; I remind them that I am merely a minor deity...
    People call me a computer god; I remind them that I am merely a minor deity...

Comment

I'd be more worried about Mind Worms. They crawl out of the phone and into your ear Harmless to your computer of course....

Smiff

Comment

Better change that 15 lbs old cell phone of yours

Z

Comment

I've sorta noticed something like this too.
          When I use my cell near my monitor it gets all screwed up as if a magnet was put near it.

It has to be pretty close though and i've never had my whole system crash because of it.

------------------
          Win98 SE w/DirectX 7
          P2 333@400
          ASUS P2B Bios 1010
          Mill G200 (no OC) 5.25 Bios 2.6
          SB PCI64

Comment

YES!!! I get this all the time at work. I have a Toshiba docking station and when ever the cell (nokia 6160) rings or when I use it, a very loud humming noise comes out of the speakers. No crashes, just noise.

Comment

u know WAVES & E:ECTRICTY!

DUH!

people, cmon think, how everything works
              Matrox Millennium G400 Dual Head - English
              Resolution 800*600
              Color Depth 16-bit Color
              Frame Buffer Triple buffering
              Refresh Rate VSync Off
              CPU Optimization AMD 3DNow!(tm)
              3DMark Result 5420.49 3DMarks
              Synthetic CPU 3D Speed 9142.76 CPU 3DMarks
              Rasterizer Score 2206.33 3DRasterMarks
              Game 1 - Race 63.58 FPS
              Game 2 - First Person 47.24 FPS
              Processor Type AMD-K7(tm) Processor
              Processor Speed 500 MHz
              Physical Memory 128 MB

Comment

My car sterio "rings" just before the phone does.

------------------
                OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a CD

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                --------------------------------------------------
                OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                and burped out a movie

Comment

I actually suspected that the G400 Max caused the problem, since sometimes the mouse still works, only that everything is garbled. But when I move the mouse, the garble changes as well But still, everything is dead and I can't click on anything or use the keyboard.

Since the phone is a pretty new one (5 month) (Motorolla cd930), I don't want to buy a new one - but I was wondering what is doing to my head as well ...

And Falken, my monitor seems to immune Just tried it while phoning, and nothing happened.

And my car stereo does not "ring", or make strange noises, even when someone brought an old "bone" ...

Well, then, everybody sing along: "There was rumour / about a tumour / nestled to the center of his brain" ....

Comment

These symptoms are going to get worse. As CPU's operate faster and faster, they are getting nearer to the cellphone's operating frequency of around 940MHz. Other parts of the system will be operating on the harmonics of this. Better get some good EMC sheilded cases on the market!

vic

Comment

This is a REAL problem folks. I work with Electromagnetic Physicists, and they are pretty concerned. All the companies want to break 1 GHz. Well, that can't happen until we figure out a way to 100% shield the components in a cost-effective manner. At 1Ghz everything from cellphones to who-knows-what will interfere. Just about everyone has a 900Mhz cordless phone now. Those things MESS UP fast-bus machines.

Not to mention you're starting to talk about a wavelength that matters! The current method for design and fabrication of chips isn't going to cut it in a home environment. You can't just make a P3 at 1Ghz. You'll have to totally redesign the chip, bus, board, and maybe even power supply!

I know, I'm a doomsayer, but...

- Gurm

------------------
                      G. U. R. M. It's not hard to spell, is it? Then don't screw it up!
                      The word "Gurm" is in no way Copyright 1999 Jorden van der Elst.
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                      X