How do I control DVDs through my TV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I control DVDs through my TV?

I want to be able remotely control my computer through use of a wireless keyboard and TV. I'm using the dual-head feature of my Max to display on my RPTV and am starting to experiment with this remote setup. I'm having difficulty controlling the DVD player and switching from DVD Max to the desktop since I only have the TV output connected (this is the desired configuration for several remote viewing rooms). Does someone know of a technique? Perhaps I need to suggest to Matrox that they include these usability features in PowerDesk. Who would I contact? The simplest feature that would help quite a bit is a hot-key to switch DVD Max on and off. From their, I would like hot-keys to control DVD playback while in DVD Max mode.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Why do you want to switch DVDMax on/off?

Also in DVDMax mode you can use the keyboard to control the Matrox DVD player. I am using the Hauppauge WinTV IR-remote to control the player (for those who would like the same: simply modify irremote.ini). The IR program does nothing more than simulate keyboard input.

You only have to make sure that the player has the focus. This can be done by assigning a hotkey to the Windows shortcut.

Comment

Thanks for the knudge. I dug up the shortcuts hidden away in the Appendix of the Matrox DVD Help file. I assigned a hotkey to the shortcut in the start menu for the player. This only assures the player is running but doesn't bring the window into focus if its already playing in the bacground. I suppose their's some macro capability I could use.
      Not familiar with the Hauppauge WinTV IR-remote. I'll have to do a search and see if that's something to add to my toy bin. Also not familiar with the .ini file you refer to. I've been starting to use an Antec IR wireless keyboard w/mouse.

P.S. The reason I want to hot-key DVD Max on and off is that I want full control of my computer remotely through this TV/IR remote setup. I need to switch back to clone or zoom mode to work with my desktop and other apps.

[This message has been edited by xortam (edited 13 October 1999).]
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Diddl, Please see postscript of previous message (needed this tickler to get the message back up to the top of the forum).

Comment

Working...
        X