Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 3d screensavers and g400dualhead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 3d screensavers and g400dualhead?

Talked a friend into having a g400 dualhead installed into his new computer.
    Problem seems to be with windows 3d screensavers.Illegal operation- 3d pipes and other 3d screensavers,etc.
    His system is pentium III 500 mhz,128 megs dram,G400 dualhead.
    Looking at his system, I discovered no irq assigned for G400.It's using Quickdesk 5.21.
    Would this problem be caused by no irq assigned , known driver problem or both?
    The problem is it is a brand new system and assigning a irq is definitely going to jam the irq's and would require a complete reconfiguration.
    Do you think he should do it or take it back to the place that built it and let them do it?
    Protocal,you know.

The Win 3D screen saver is definitelty a driver problem, these 3D screen savers use opengl hardware rendering (the 3D text screen saver's default text is in fact "opengl").

Use driver set 5.25, do a complete uninstall of currently istalled drivers, boot in VGA mode, and install 5.25 drivers. DO NOT install Matrox beta opengl ICD ontop of these! These drivers have full opengl ICD included and eventhough, I have been advised to use the beta opengl (available from Matrox's website) I have NEVER managed to get it to work (screen saver, Q2 opengl lockups, as above). Also make sure you have Direct 6.1 installed.

Yes, your Matrox card does require an IRQ! Apparently (I am no expert) all "higher" level graphics cards require one, the only ones that don't are lower level (with less features like no 3D hardware acceleration) cards. I am suprised you managed to build it without having Win9* assign an IRQ automatically?

good luck

rmw

Comment

Yes....assign an IRQ OGL and D3D will not work properly without an IRQ.

Or, if in Multi-monitor mode, OGL will not work (windows limitation)

[This message has been edited by Kruzin (edited 10-05-1999).]
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Check out http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/004997.html
        I had the same problem.... The OpenGL screensavers would crash and GL games would just exit to desktop or lock up the machine entirely.... I assigned it an IRQ and now OpenGL does work.. (Still has problems, but at least it works....)

Comment

You will also get a big speed boost assigning an IRQ to the G400.
          It can't use bus-mastering without one.
          chuck

------------------
          ABit BH6 w/ Celery 333@500, 128mb gh@cas2, 10gb IBM@7200, SB Live Value@44kh, noname CDRom@40x, Mitsumi CDRW@2x2x8, Zoom@56k, Princeton EO75@1024x768x32x85hz, USB mouse,Matrox G400 MAX!!!!

Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

With the Matrox 3D screensaver it leaves images behind when it switches from "Powered by matrox", to the light dancing around the metal Matrox sign.
            "640K ought to be enough for anybody."
            [Bill Gates, 1981]

Comment

Hmm.. The matrox screensavers have never worked for me.. Haven't tried them very much tho..
              Tech demo has worked... Dunno if it does now.. If it does I'll check out the screensavers too.....

Comment

I wish to thank everyone for their input.
                Advised my friend to take it back to the people who put the system together for him and have them reconfigure the system.
                Must admit g400 is really cool,my friend was so enamered by it,he ordered one for his cousin!
                I should have suspected a problem,when he origanally called the oem and asked for a matrox g400 and they didn't know what he was talking about!However when he talked to them again they were quick to praise him on what a cool card it was and had become instant experts as to the card's features.
                Wish they had read about enabling an irq for it! Fortunately,the oem is just a few miles away so no problem there
                I'm still enjoying my g200,but will probably fall prey to the g400.
                Thanks again!
                HAPPY BIRTHDAY_KRUZIN

Comment

Hmm... The 3d bumpy metal matrox sign part works... But the other two just make black screens....

Comment

I am afraid the Windows OGL Screensavers are not using the G400... That's why they work in Multi-Monitor mode.
                    the G400 ICD dont work in Multi mode.
                    Co-Webmaster of The Matrox Sphere
                    Enter The Sphere:
                    go.to\matroxsphere

Athlon 700, 256Mb 7ns CAS2 RAM, MSI K7-Pro, 10.8Gb Maxtor Diamondmax UDMA, SBLive! 1024 Player + Soundworks FPS1000, Iomega ATAPI Zip drive, Pioneer slot-in 36x SCSI CD-ROM drive, Yamaha CDRW4001t 4xWriter, 56k external modem, Winbond PCI NIC/Etherlink III ISA NIC, {bold}G400 DualHead 32Mb[/bold], Iiyama Vision Master Pro450 19' Diamondtron NF

Comment

Working...
                    X