Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unreal with the Turbo GL drivers won't even start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreal with the Turbo GL drivers won't even start.

I just installed the new drivers and installed the TurboGL drivers for unreal. Unreal won't start...crashes every time. So does Quake. I have a P3-500 Microstar 6119 motherboard, 128sdram, live value, G400 Max. Now unreal won't even run with the Turbo GL uninstalled...what happened?

Not sure why this is, and I'm not a G400 owner (yet-- MAX is in the delivery chute ), but in my experience, it's always a good idea to reinstall Q2- & Unreal-engine games upon upgrading Matrox drivers. Seems to solve a lot of little random errors that I otherwise tended to get on my G200...

Just a thought, and an easy enough fix to try... hope this helps.

------------------
    Holly
    "...\Till the one day when the lady met this fellow\ And they knew that it was much more than a hunch.." What? System specs? Oh, yes, right...Soyo 5EMA, K6-2 333, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, Maxtor 7GB HDD, internal LS-120, Promise Ultra33 EIDE controller, Diamond Monster Sound MX300, HP 8100i CD-RW, Hi-Val (Nakamichi) 16X 5-disk CD changer, Win98 +SE Updates...oh yeah, and a Millennium G200 8MB SGRAM.

[This message has been edited by motub (edited 10-09-1999).]
    Holly

"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open ended program of procreative racial deconstruction."
    -Jay Bulworth

Comment

Hquervo-

Just so that you feel better, I have the same exact problem. PD5.3x killed my games, and things not only won't start, but it totally crashes the system.

Someone replied to you about fresh install, but I installed Unreal after the drivers were on and still the same problems. Still haven't got a fix yet, hope you have better luck and pass along the news.

Unlucky like you -joe

Comment

Hi all,

I had exactly the same problem earlier today.

Installed the drivers and neither System Shock 2 nor Darkstone would run at all (solid crashes - complete lock up of machine).

I rebooted intending to delete the new drivers and go back to V5.13 but decided to have another try - for some reasn they now work fine...
        The problem with door textures in SS2 is fixed - but I can't see any performance improvement (Celeron system)

DinAlt

Comment

I too am having this problem. Hard lock when I start Quake2. No, I have no Voodoo card or drivers in my system. And I'm not whining. It just doesn't work. Playing with it now.. We'll see..

------------------
          Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

Okay, checked Unreal 2.25f a minute ago and it works a-okay on my system, but for that the menu's flash...

So can't help you there...

Jorden
            ---------
            P3-450, Asus P2B, 256Mb RAM

------------------
            Less than 820 posts to go to my 1120
            ------------
            Holly Rules !!
            ------------

Jordâ„¢

Comment

Oh, btw, SiN and HL work great with the TGL as well...

Do make sure you have set the DH-option disabled... TGL will not work when you have the desktop-expantion turned off but DH enabled!!!

Jord

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 10-10-1999).]
              Jordâ„¢

Comment

Further to my previous post,

The crashing problem came back after a reboot - went away after another - seems like the drivers aren't initialising properly in D3D (open Gl seems ok).

DinAlt

Comment

Alright, try disabling busmastering. That seems to work. Unreal still causes MAJOR problems (Screen of garbage, then HARD lockup, have to switch off machine at back) when I try playing at any other but the default resolution. Q2 does not give me the TGL driver in its driver option box, and running with any but "software" driver results in lockup. At least with busmastering off you can play the games. Unreal seems smoother now, albeit at the low default resolution. Anyone else have any ideas?

------------------
                  Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

Thanks for all the input...but I still can't get the games to work. Quake 3 Test works ok. But no matter how I uninstall and reinstall the drivers and Unreal..I only get serious system crashes. I even upgraded Unreal to to 225f still no bannana.

Comment

Okay, I posted earlier having the same problem that all of you are problem, but I now have a solution, that at least worked for me.

Try using the matrox uninstall utility that supposedly removes all trace of matrox. After that, but a fresh version of pd5.3x and tgl on, and you should be ready to go. Well, at least this worked for me, and I noticed a significant improvement in q3a.

good luck -joe

Comment

I too noticed a significant improvement in q3, but not as much as Ant did, and my system specs are exactly the same as his...

Comment

Well, much like DinAlt, the crashing problems did come back, and I am not sure if I ever even restarted. Now I am back to where I started, where every game that matrox installed tgl into crashes at started, and procedes to crash my system.

If anyone has found a fix for this yet, please let me know. I haven't a clue, I followed all the directions, no 3dfx cards, ran the uninstall prior, no other graphics cards ever installed, etc ... I am stumped.

thanks -joe

Comment

Me too... something is wrong with these tgl drivers. I did a clean install of everything. I have tried every method I know. No game runs with the tgl. If anybody can help let me know

Comment

Has anyone figured this out yet?

Comment

Working...
                              X