Vsync and OpenGl???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vsync and OpenGl???

Hello everyone. I am new to this site & message forum but I have been reading for a few months now. Also I have always been a diehard Matrox supporter and have owned every model they offered since the Millenium.
    Anyway my question is this, I have a G400 32 SH and I am running the new PD 5.30 drivers and I can not seem to figure out how to enablr disable the OpenGl vsync. I have seen the registry hacks and also the G400Tweak program where I can turn on/off the Direct3d vsync but nothing for OpenGl. I have seen a few messages where people were saying that it controls both but on my system it seems to have no effect at all on under OpenGl only the Direct3d. If anyone can tell me how to enable/disable vsync under OpenGl I would appreciate it.

Regards,
    Ed

I believe Vsync for OpenGL is disabled by default with this version. After installing the new drivers and TurboGL, I got the expected increase in framerates. I assume, if Vsync was enabled, I would have seen a drop in fps, TurboGL or no TurboGL.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

I agree with you that I think the OpenGl vsync is off by default in the new drivers as I can notice tearing in quake 2. Do you know how to enable vsync for OpenGl? Is it possible to do this?
      I am going to run my TNT2 ultra until I can get this vsync thing ironed out as I can not stand image tearing. It makes me feel motion sick.
      Thanks for you reply,
      Ed

Comment

Try using the Matrox Overclocker...It has a vsync option in it that should work on the TurboGL MCD...
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I have tried the matrox overclocker but it is only for D3D and does not have any effect on OpenGl vsync. Also I can not run the turbogl because Matrox has decided to totally igmore us k62 users with their new drivers. It only works on P3 or K7 cpu's.

Thanks for you reply though..

Ed

Comment

You mentioned you tried G400Tweak.
            That one is not by Matrox, but by an independant coder.
            G400Tweak modifies the registry settings.
            Matrox's Overclocker handles vsynch differently, and should affect D3D and OGL...

http://www.murc.ws/Driver/Win9x/PD5/...ak_utility.exe

And Matrox is not ignoring anyone. Just because this driver release did not have a K6 TurboGL does not mean a future release won't...
            Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Thanks again for your reply, but I have tired the matrox overclocker that you give the link to, the mgatweak, the g400set, even powerstrip (which by BTW.. fortunately did not corrupt my video bios as I afterwards had read it did to others, and no matter which I tried I got the same exact results with no difference in vsync. I am truly puzzled where and how this can be set for OpenGl. I play mostly quake 2 and run obviously in OpenGl mode so it is important to me to be able to eliminate tearing. I love the image quality of the g400 which is hands down far superior to my tnt2 ultra but I just can't play with tearing. I would even give up some fps for it as long as it would still be around 30 fps or so.

Also I really did not mean to say that Matrox is ignoring us, I know they have been working very hard for us lately on the drivers but it just does not seem logical that they would releasw a turbo gl driver first that only works on a minority of the systems out there? They could have released the K6 based 3dnow! version first which is what far more people out ther have right now than the k7 and then the athlon one which by then would have a greater user base. Just does not make sense to me thats all.

Actually Matrox is my favorite company in the whole world and I have owned every single model they ever offered since the millenium! This includes every successive version of the mystique as well 1064 + 1164 based ones.

Regards,
              Ed

Comment

Well, it could be that your Q2 is not set properly...you should have the following lines in your autoexec.cfg file. If these are not set properly, it could be the cause of the problem...

set gl_ext_swapinterval "1"
                set gl_swapinterval "0"

Comment

Just set gl_swapinterval to 1 and voila, no more tearing!
                  Co-Webmaster of The Matrox Sphere
                  Enter The Sphere:
                  go.to\matroxsphere

Athlon 700, 256Mb 7ns CAS2 RAM, MSI K7-Pro, 10.8Gb Maxtor Diamondmax UDMA, SBLive! 1024 Player + Soundworks FPS1000, Iomega ATAPI Zip drive, Pioneer slot-in 36x SCSI CD-ROM drive, Yamaha CDRW4001t 4xWriter, 56k external modem, Winbond PCI NIC/Etherlink III ISA NIC, {bold}G400 DualHead 32Mb[/bold], Iiyama Vision Master Pro450 19' Diamondtron NF

Comment

Yea...sorry, you're right....I just copied that out of my scripts, and I play with vsynch disabled....

Set it to "1"

Comment

well, turbogl specifically exploits the new instructions in the new cpus, thats what it is. Cant do it on any other cpu's.

Thats why i bought the p3, my audio multitrack apps had optimizations very similar, except that they ONLY work with p3 so at least matrox is supporting athlon!

Comment

um...huh?
                        What does that have to do with vsynch?

Comment

Okay where do you alter vsync with unreal. It runs great but the tearing is a little annoying.
                          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                          X