Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New drive recommendations? DiamondMax 40 or wait for Plus 40?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New drive recommendations? DiamondMax 40 or wait for Plus 40?

I am selling one of my Seagate 9.1GB UWSCSI Barracudas and looking to buy a new UDMA video drive to replace it.

I am looking in the UDMA66 30-40gb range. The Maxtor DiamondMax 40 looks good, but should I wait for the Plus 40? Are there any other 30gb+ drives I should take a look at? Will I notice the difference between 7200 and 5400 rpm in video editing? Will I have a problem with recognizing a big drive on an Abit BH6 mobo, or problems with running at only UDMA33? (No plans to buy a Ultra66 controller yet.)

Any suggestions are welcome and much appreciated!

------------------
    Please visit http://spincycle.n3.net - My System: Celeron 300a(@450/2v),ABit BH6, 128mb ram, Win98, Marvel G200TV, Diamond MX300, IBM 8.4gb UDMA Deskstar system drive, Adaptec 2940UW SCSI, 2x 9gb Seagate Barracuda UWSCSI video drives, Hitachi GD-2500 DVD-Rom, UltraPlex CD-Rom, Plexwriter CD-recorder, Viewsonic PT775, Soundworks 4.1 speakers
    Please visit http://spincycle.n3.net - My System: Celeron 300a(@450/2v),Abit BH6, 128mb RAM, Win98SE, Marvel G200TV, Diamond MX300, Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 20g system drive, DiamondMax Plus 40 capture drive, IBM 8g Deskstar program drive, Adaptec 2940UW SCSI, 9gb Barracuda UWSCSI video drive, Hitachi GD-2500 DVD-Rom, UltraPlex CD-Rom, Plexwriter CD-recorder, Viewsonic PT775, Soundworks 4.1 speakers

I would not even consider selling your Barracuda drive. I was using an Apple G3 with 2 of those 9gig drives and I know if you switch to the Maxtor you will see some dropped frames as the CPU usage will increase.

Comment

sscheppel

You are talking drivel. I have a 36Gb 5400rpm Maxtor drive and even when I am capturing at over 7Mb/sec I get 0 dropped frames. I have a DC30+ and a PIII500. My Mobo is a SOYO 6BA+ III. I also used 2 17Gb Maxtors with my BH6 and has similar experiences.

Norton utilities benchmarkes the drive at over 15Mb/sec and the Miro drive benchmark returns about 20Mb/sec.

Is you detailed evaluation based on experience or on some misguided notion you may have.

Cjyo~ - I would go for the 5400 drive as it's a fair bit cheaper and plenty fast enough for A/V.

A word of warning to all however. Award BIOS based mobo's have a problem in recognising greater than 32Gb, see
      http://www.maxtor.com/technology/infobulls/13027.html for a description.

Maxtor has a workaround for this until the mobo manufacturers sort out their BIOS. You still get the full drive capacity ond performance.
      ASUS P4S533, P4 2.53Ghz, 1.25Gb PC2700, 40Gb System HD 120Gb AV HD, WinXp Pro

Comment

To be honest, after a year of reading the forums and other video/hardware sites (and tweaking all sorts of settings), I am still not able to escape a few dropped frames in capture and playback at full rez on a ten minute project(even with UWSCSI). AVI_IO has been my best solution, but it's not perfect. The Barracudas didn't solve my problem.

I need more storage space and I don't plan on upgrading to bigger SCSI drives, so the Barracuda is no big loss. (Do you want to buy the other one?)

I plan to move up from my Marvel to a DV system in the future, so I'm hoping the DiamondMax will stay with me through my next mobo/cpu upgrade at least...

Regarding the 32gb limit on Abit Award boards: the latest Bios update on the Abit site, says it adds support for 37gb drives (I hope it works).
        Please visit http://spincycle.n3.net - My System: Celeron 300a(@450/2v),Abit BH6, 128mb RAM, Win98SE, Marvel G200TV, Diamond MX300, Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 20g system drive, DiamondMax Plus 40 capture drive, IBM 8g Deskstar program drive, Adaptec 2940UW SCSI, 9gb Barracuda UWSCSI video drive, Hitachi GD-2500 DVD-Rom, UltraPlex CD-Rom, Plexwriter CD-recorder, Viewsonic PT775, Soundworks 4.1 speakers

Comment

Working...
        X