Is it just Epox boards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it just Epox boards?

Or Via chipsets in general? So far, the three of us that have posted with 5.30 not working have been using Epox mobos and G200s. Two of us (at least) are using SDRAM based versions of the Mill G200. Any other SS7 users out there having problems? With Ali chipsets? Or other Via based boards? It's not crucial to me that the 5.3 drivers work, but I would like to try and figure it out.

------------------
    I say "Here's a monkey wrench... If you bop me over the head with it long enough I might wake up for a second."

"I wrestled with reality for 27 years and I'm happy to say I finally won out over it."

I've got a VIA chipset and I'm getting the same BSODs. My Millienium is SDRAM based as well.

------------------
    Millenium G200 8 Meg (SDRAM) 2.3bios; 350 AMD K6-2 on a VIA MVP3 with latest bios; 128 Meg SDRAM; 8.4 Maxtor;
    Millenium G200 8 Meg (SDRAM) 2.6 - 20 bios; 350 AMD K6-2 on a VIA MVP3 with latest bios; 128 Meg SDRAM; 8.4 Maxtor;

Comment

Basically SS7 sucks. It is not Epox in particular.

------------------
      aka Chris H

Comment

I'm having the problem also, Epox MVP3G-M mobo. I know some people thing ss7 sucks, but this is the first -ever- problem I've had with ss7 boards and drivers causing a problem. Anyway, as said above, I'm not too worried that 5.3 won't run, but I'd like to find out what is causing the problem, and hopefully be able to use the next driver release.

Comment

Sjees, the well-known Intel-users-arrogance in action...

SS7 does NOT suck, my best guess is that this is a timing problem of some kind.
          Although, the problem is so obvious that I'm wondering if they don't have MVP3 boards at Matrox to test it :-/

But let's be fair: it can very well be caused by the VIA drivers and/or BIOS...

More detailed config:
          -EP-51MVP3E-M rev1.0, BIOS date 8 july (I assume rev CE MVP3 chipset), Via drivers v4.14
          -K6-2 CT core, 3.5x95MHz
          -Millennium G200 8MB SGRAM, BIOS v2.6
          -Windows98

Comment

1) This is the first ever problem I've had that may be SS7 related as well 2) System performance and stability has been exceptional 3) How many Intel users can post a 57 in CPUMark 99? I know that integer performance is only a very small portion of overall performance, but most of the multimedia apps I run depend on it heavily.

------------------
            I say "Here's a monkey wrench... If you bop me over the head with it long enough I might wake up for a second."

"I wrestled with reality for 27 years and I'm happy to say I finally won out over it."

Comment

Randy Simons:

"Sjees, the well-known Intel-users-arrogance in action..."

Actually I am a SS7/K6-III(450), and SlotA/ATHLON(500) user, NOT Intel. I build and repair computer systems on a daily basis, and know all about the timing problems, etc, etc. I was just being brief by saying SS7 sucks - because it has given me so much hassle in the past. SS7 chipsets - VIA, ALi, etc are simply not as good as Intel equivalents (Not including i820 )

------------------
              aka Chris H

Comment

Well I used to own a 450 K6-III in a FIC VA503+ motherboard with a Millennium G200 8MB AGP (It's my brother's now) Last night I was at his place and downloaded and installed 5.30. I just ran the setup.exe without uninstalling. No BSODs or crashes at all. As a matter of fact the openGL screensavers no longer hang up the machine.
                I played UT online for an hour then played NFSIII and FIFA99 for even longer (which explains why I'm so tired). Of course I had previously installed VIA's 4in1 drivers version 14. Like I've said previously the problem I had with the G200 was that in my setup I could not enable bus mastering. (I still did not get that to work). And yes SS7 chipsets SUCK big time.
                Just hoping that the Athlon chipsets fare better

------------------
                Machineless for now getting case soon to set up Pentium Pro 200, 64 MB RAM, some HD, AOPEN Burner, Ensoniq VIVO 90, ATI charger Rage something (hey it was $28) yada yada

[This message has been edited by DentyCracker (edited 10-09-1999).]
                [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Just e-mailed Matrox Tech Support to make sure they are aware of the problem. Don't really expect any resolution of it, just wanted to bring it to their attention.

------------------

Comment

anid,

Have you tried disabling Plug'n Play Monitor detection, a la the ABit problem ? 5.3 initially caused a Windows Protection Error for me 'till I did this ( I have an old LX 66MHz Epox board )

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Nope, not autodetect Plug N' Play monitors... another idea bites the dust.

------------------

Comment

I also have BSOD since installing 5.30. My mill G200 is AGP sgram. Never had any other problems with my SS7 system.

------------------
                        Epox MVP3G-M, WD 8.4gb, Pio 32x CDROM, LS-120, Adaptec 2940U2W, Yamaha CDRW4416, Pio DVD-113, Diamond S90, 3COM 3c509, HP 712c, HP 6200
                        Mine: Epox EP-8KTA3, Matrox G400 32mb DH + RRG, Athlon 1.2/266, 256mb, WD 30gb ATA100, Pio 32x CDROM, Adaptec 2940U2W, WD 18.3GB 10k U2W, Yamaha CDRW4416, Pio DVD-303, Scsi Zip 100, Seagate 10/20 Gb tape, SBlive platinum, Linksys 10/100 nic, HP 712c printer, HP 6200 scanner, Linksys 4port cable router, Linksys 2port print server/switch
                        Hers: Epox EP-3VSA, G400 32mb SH, PIII 750, 256mb, WD 10gb, Pio 6x DVD, Zip 250, Diamond S90, Linksys 10/100 nic

Comment

Just thought I'd stop by to see if anyone else was having problems with 5.30.
                          Glad to see that I'm not alone!
                          Sys:AMD k6-2 350mhz,efa mobo(via mvp3)g200 8 megs sgram,64 megs dram, quantum 9.1+ka.
                          First major problems I've had.Tried latest update from via,no go,switched back to last release-no go.Uninstalled everything ,re-downloaded all drivers(in case of a corrupt file)retried-no go.
                          Uninstalled,reinstalled 5.25=works.
                          All is good in 2d applications with 5.30,but Quake II won't even load without bsod.
                          Looked forward to new drivers,but I guess we unfortunate ones will have to wait 'til a solution is found.
                          Meanwhile I'm quite happy with 5.25,so no major disappointment.
                          Maybe these drivers benifit g400 more.
                          I'm sure now matrox has had it brought to it's attention something will be done.

[This message has been edited by Alfie (edited 10-10-1999).]

Comment

Haa, I a m not alone. My kids machine has an Epox MVP3C-M (if I remember right), a K6-2 450 and a G200 Mystique, and yes, used a half an hour to try to get the 5.3 to work, had to go back to 5.25 because of the blue screens.

And this is a very "solid" error. Should be easy for Matrox to find and fix. Seems to happen every time when a 3d application starts. (Oddly enough, WinTune managed to run the OpenGL test part, but crashed a few seconds into the D3D test... all other 3d seems to crash more or less immediately)

M.
                            year2000:Athlon500/MSI6167/256M/10GIBM/6GSamsung/18GSCSI IBM/CL2xDVD/RR-G/HPPSPrinter/G400DH32M/DeltaDC995/MX300/ADSPyro1394/AHA2940UW/3comXL100

Comment

I used to have Via chipset and had so many crashes, driver conflicts I got fed up and ditched it. So the comment should be ex via experiance in action not Intel users arrogance in action. Well for me anyway.
                              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X