Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Head Multi Display and TurboGL Performance

Okay, you guys might be interested in this little experiment I did:

I'm one of the people who are experiencing less than optimal frame rates with the 5.30 drivers, and have been tweaking all the settings to get every last framerate out. Just to let you guys know where I stand, I have a Pentium III 450 @ 504Mhz, 128MB ram, and a G400Max that is at its default clockrate. At present, I'm getting decent scores on Q3 Benchmarks -
    Colour Depth - 32
    Filtering - Bilinear
    32-bit Z-Buffer - disabled
    Everything else is turned on, running at a resolution of 800x600. At these settings, I get 50 - 52 fps on average. Wanting to test the abilities of my card, I decided to enable Dual Head Multi-Display since I heard that OGL now works with the 5.30 drivers when Dual Head was enabled. Anyway, with nothing else running in the background, my framerates suddenly dropped to 45 fps. This is soley because of Dual Head multi-display.

It's not a huge find, but I just wanted to let some of the people - who were complaining about below avg. frame rates - know to check their dual head settings and run Q3 again. Also, having Dual Head enabled, but not extending the desktop still takes the same chunk out of the performance.

Larry

Oh yeah, and BTW, it seems that DxDiag reports the card having only 16MB of ram, as opposed to 32 when Dual Head is turned on. Could it be that the card allocates half its memory for the second display, and runs the first like a G400 16MB?

Larry

Comment

Working...
    X