What's puzzling about PD 5.30 ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's puzzling about PD 5.30 ...

is the fact that, at last, the sun doesn't shine in tunnels anymore, but the frame rate is down by more than 10 %.

With all drivers before 5.30, the G400 did not switch off the flaring sun, when you drove through a tunnel in the game N.I.C.E. 2 (aka BreakNeck; D3D). Instead, the sun kept shining all the way through the tunnel ceiling. Now it does no more. -- But the framecounter shows an average of 56 where it showed 64 before.

Seems to have something to do with the z-buffer. Quite a basic DX function, in any case. Considering it costs so much speed to implement it properly, we might question D3D benchmark results obtained for the G400 previously. And we might wonder how many other functions are still not there and will cost another 10 % (each) when implemented.

Anyone have similar observations in other games? Playing res was 1024x768@32bpp.

Odds are they didn't just "remove the sun". There's probably a lot of back-face culling and whatnot that needs to be done if you are no longer evenly lighting the scene. Let's face it - the sun is a single light source, evenly lighting every point in the scene. Almost 0 processing power to do that.

So it's REASONABLE to lose 10fps to dynamic lighting. HOWEVER... why are you complaining about 65fps vs. 55fps? They're both faster than your eye can see anyway.

- Gurm

------------------
    G. U. R. M. It's not hard to spell, is it? Then don't screw it up!
    The word "Gurm" is in no way Copyright 1999 Jorden van der Elst.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
    X