Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yea! Yea! Got my Vanilla g400 to MAX levels!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yea! Yea! Got my Vanilla g400 to MAX levels!

I don't know what the setting are for the 'Max but i have mine set to 120% and everything is fine. I have tried putting a fan on the heatsink, old pentium fan i had kicking around, but that didn't help at all. If you want to up the clock then i suggest that you try putting heatsinks on all the small memory chip to help them, something i'm not prepared to do at the moment....
    AthlonXP 1700+@1900+(1.59GHz) on Abit KG7, 512Mb DDRram, Elsa Gladiac 920, SB 128 pci, ADI microscan 17in monitor, Pioneer 6x dvd rom,Ricoh7083CDRW, 56k modem

Yea! Yea! Got my Vanilla g400 to MAX levels!

Hello all,

For the past few weeks, I have been trying to overclock my G400 Dual Head (Vanilla) to MAX levels. However, I had been mostly unsucessful. I had tried the Matrox Overclocking utility and the Powerstrip GX utility. At 1024x768 (using both overclockers), I couldn't over clock past 138 core/ 182 mem.

Well, I had read the Matrox overclocking utility readme file and it said that different resolutions overclock differently. So I bumped up to 1152x864. I tried the Matrox utility at 113%. Everything seemed fine. Hmmm... Tried 115%. Everything still ok. I'm beginning to think that this thing isn't working right.

So I put it back at 100% and close the Matrox utility. I pull up the Powerstrip GX and put it at 140 core. Sure enough... ugly lines everywhere . So I put it back at normal settings.

Wellll.. just to give it a shot, I pull up the matrox utility again and clock it at 120% (which is 150core and 200mem). I run the Unreal Tournement demo and noticed that indeed the FPS were a bit higher. Hmmm.... Maybe it is working. So I leave the matrox utility at its 120% settings and open Powerstrip GX again. It read 150.1 core and 200.2 mem. YEA!!! I guess it really is working...

I opened the case and felt the heatsink. It was a bit on the warm side.. but it wasn't overly hot. (I'm still gonna add a fan just to be safe.)

Anyway, is it really possilbe that different resolutions really make a difference in overclocking? Does the matrox utility do something that the powerstip utility doesn't do to allow this level of overclocking? Has anyone else experienced this behavior?

Well, needless to say.. I'm just estatic. I've got my new 5.30 drivers (which fixed a bunch of artifats in OpenGL in Team Fortress Classic and increased framerate) and my NEW G400 "MAX". Yea!

Thanks

------------------
    Abit BH6, Celeron 450, Matrox G400 32mb, 256mb ram, IBM 10GB, DVD 5x, MX300

[This message has been edited by SPSUguy (edited 10-09-1999).]

[This message has been edited by SPSUguy (edited 10-09-1999).]
    Abit BH6
    Celeron 450
    Matrox G400 32mb "MAX"
    256MB PC100 RAM
    IBM 10GB 7200rpm HDD
    Creative Labs DVD 5x
    Mitsumi 4x/2x/8x CD-RW