Haig or anyone, Identification of card in card's bios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haig or anyone, Identification of card in card's bios

I've asked this question in another topic in the past, but really never got a clear answer (it was inresponse to someone else's topic anyway).

I ran MXInfo on my G400Max yesterday, and nowhere in the loads of information it displayed was the card identified as a Max. In fact, one line of the information did say that it was a G400 dual head 32MB, or something very similar.

I've also noticed that Win98 refuses to recognise the card as a Max when I install drivers, even if I manually select the G400Max from the drivers available. If I choose that, Win98 says that this driver isn't compatible with my hardware (theoretically doesn't matter, since all G400's use the same drivers, just different clock rates, with/without DH).

My question boils down to this- Are all Max's this way, or has my card's bios somehow got the wrong info written to it?

I did flash the bios to bring it up to the latest on the Matrox site, right after getting the card, so I guess I could have done something to cause this (not broken, just misidentified).

Any help or information is really appreciated.

------------------
    Ace
    "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
    Gainward Ti4600
    AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

That was brought up already. Same thing with my MAX. Doesn't affect the cards performance in anyway, just a tad annoying. It's like that with most of the MAXs that people have here. Although I did hear one person say they could pick G400 MAX at the setup screen.

Also, you don't have to use any tool to identify your card to see if it's a MAX or not. Just go to the information tab in the display properties. Everytihng is correct there. At least for me.

Comment

I'll check my info tab when I get home this evening then. Thinking about it, if I remember correctly, there wasn't a choice for G400Max in the BIOS upgrade util, just G400 16 MB SH, G400 32 MB DH, etc. So maybe it's just changed since I flashed the BIOS. As you said, it doesn't appear to have affected the card's operation (or default settings) at all. I'm just curious about it, is all.

------------------
      Ace
      "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
      Gainward Ti4600
      AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

I may be wrong, but a.f.a.i.k. is PowerDesk the only application that can distinguish between Vanillas and MAXes.

All other seem to identify those card as Millennium G400 DualHead ...

------------------
        Cheers,
        Maggi

Working Rig:
        Asus P2B-DS @ 103MHz FSB
        Double Pentium III-450 @ 464 MHz
        4 x 128MB CAS2 SDRAM
        Matrox Millennium G400 32MB DualHead
        Nokia 445Xi (21")
        Nokia 447Xpro (17")

Home Rig:
        Asus P2B-S Bios 1010 @ 112MHz FSB
        Celeron 300A @ 504MHz
        2 x 128MB CAS2 SDRAM
        Matrox Millennium G400 32MB DualHead @ 150/200MHz
        CTX VL710T (17")
        Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
        Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
        be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
        4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
        2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
        OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
        4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
        Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
        Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
        LG BH10LS38
        LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Really? PD is the only util that can identify MAX and Vanilla? Man, lucky there is at least one tab that shows that then in PD. If not, some people that always look to the dark side of things might start to tear their hair out thinking they got a Vanilla

Comment

The MAX should have a unique PCI subsystem ID of 0x217D. Is that what you were asking?

Comment

Other then that little tidbit that ashley mentioned, the only internal difference between them is the ramdac speed and the memory speed. unless a program is looking specifically for that ID, it's going to see them both as identical.
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
              X