The guy is not right in the head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The guy is not right in the head

I recieved my retail PIII500 today just in time for turbogl tomorrow. I already had purchased a nice dual fan heatsink with thermal compound to overclock the snot out of it when I got it. I open the box and low and behold Intel decided to attach the retail heatsink/fan in no intentions of anyone detaching it. I was not a happy camper and after studying my new toy for a few moments I go grab the tool kit. This is when I truly knew I was getting into trouble. So I start probing and poking around with various screwdrivers, needlenose pliers, etc. After about 15 frustrating minutes I grab the needle nose and jam them into the middle of the heatsink and twist as hard as I can until SNAP, the first plastic rod breaks. To far to turn back now, I proceed to snap the remaining three plastic pins holding the heatsink to the cpu and twist and turn the heatsink off of the cpu. But damnit there are still broken plastic pieces in each of the four holes that goes through the cpu and they are broken cleanly on each side so nothing sticks out. This was the part that was guranteed to ruin this new toy. I kindly place my cpu down on a piece of plastic on my floor and compteplate what it will take to get those damned plastic pins out. AHHH a drill!!!! ahhhh dangit, no drill in site. And I am too impatient to wait until tomorrow to borrow one so I grap a nice phillips screwdriver just slightly smaller in diameter than the holes. I place the screwdriver up to one of the holes on the cpu and press with all my might until POP, the piece falls out! I quickly finish the remaining three and now I am thinking to myself, this will never work. So I attach my nice new heatsink/dual fan and place it into my pc. I fire er up and needless to say I am typing this on a nice new PIII 500 o/c to 560 waiting for some nice new turbogl drivers.
    Asus K7V
    Athlon 700
    128mb PC133 HSDRAM
    Matrox Millennium g400max
    Adaptec 2940U2W
    IBM 9gb U2W
    Plextor 8/20 cdr
    Diamond MX300
    3com 905b-tx

I did same week ago...I even can boot to windows at 620 but my Seagate hard drive goes nuts...damn!

Micko,

Comment

Gulp...
      U did cure my hiccup. I got really scared for a moment.

/C-A

Comment

GOSH MJ, you did that to your PIII500???? I have one too but I really don't have the guts to do that!!!! Anyway, congrats on your successful attempt to attached your new fan to the chip!!

P.S.
        Next time you want to share your horrifying experience, do it gently!!!!! I guess Rimfaxe can always count on you to cure his hiccups!!! Hehehehehe!!
        PIII 500MHz@560MHz
        Gigabyte BX2000+ w/UDMA66
        128MB PC100 SDRAM
        Pioneer SCSI 32X CD-ROM
        Yamaha 4260 SCSI CD-Rewritable Drive
        2 X IBM 9.1 HDD UMDA66
        Vanilla G400 32MB Dual Head@MAX Settings
        CL Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold
        ACS45.1 Speakers
        Twin 17" LG Flatron (Primary & Secondary)

Comment

Sorta like a reality soap. Great
          P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

"I place the screwdriver up to one of the holes" never do this...

Use a "case" screw it fits right in and you tighten it in to the hole and POP out will come those pins............

Comment

Like LAMFDTK said, DON'T USE A SCREW DRIVER!!!

Here's a link to the safe way to do this. Use a case screw. It will push the pins out but isn't long enough to do any damage to the P3.
              thetechzone.com/articles/p3_heatsink_remove.htm

Paul
              "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Hi guys.
                I'm plannig buying a new CPU for my mobo (Asus p2b). I gonna buy P3 500 and I have question. My mobo only has fsb 1103,112,133. If you o/c p3 500 to 560 using 112fsb did you rise voltage to make it working stable or just fsb. I'm asking that because I can't make any voltage changes so if it's not gonna work I have to replace mobo first than I buy new cpu
                Asus p3b-f p3 600E 512mb ram pc100 G400 sh 16mb sb live x-gamer ibm hd 20gb 7200rpm ide 3com 56.6 modem 3com 905b nic asus 50x plextor 4832 cdrw ide viewsonic gt775 hp dj720 hp sj 4100c Win 2000 pro

Comment

p3 500@560 2.2v
                  p3 500@590 2.3v

at least on my board (abit bh6) running at 560 with 2.0v is not very stable.

Comment

sorry mlody
                    No way to know till you try. But, I would go so far as to say if you try, it probably will. My 450 is at 560 at 2.0V (124FSB) so I dought a 500 will give you any problems.

Mark F.

------------------
                    OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a CD

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                    --------------------------------------------------
                    OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                    and burped out a movie

Comment

If you want to get a new motherboard, get a Soyo 6BA+ revision III (or IV if you want ATA-66 support via the HighPoint ATA-66 controller chip).

I had an Asus P2B (older one) - it couldn't overclock much, and it is all jumper-based - pain in the butt to change.

The Soyo's completely soft set, and allows voltage/L2 cache latency changes. It's a great board.

Oh, and don't forget to get decent memory if you're going to overclock.

Just my $0.02

P.S. If you had an ounce of patience, you'd have know that there are a few guides to getting your retail heatsink-fan unit off and completely intact, should you decided to reattach it for a "warranty repair". :-)

------------------
                      Primary System: PIII-540 (450@4.5x120), Soyo 6BA+ III, 2x128MB PC100 ECC SDRAM CAS2, G400 MAX in multi-monitor mode. V2 SLI rig. Two Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 900u monitors, 3Com 3C905, SoundBlaster Live!, DeskTop Theater DTT2500 DIGITAL Speaker System (Sweeeeeet!), 2nd Parallel Port, WD AC41800 18GB HD, WD AC310100 10GB HD, Toshiba SD-M1212 6x DVD-ROM, HP 8100i CD-RW, Epson Stylus Pro, Sharp JX-9400 LJ-II compatible, OptiUPS PowerES 650, MS SideWinder Precision Pro USB joystick, Logitech 3-button mouse, Mitsumi keyboard, Win98 SE, Belkin OmniCube 4-port KVM, 10/100 5-port Linksys Ethernet switch (30~40MB/min under Win98SE)

Secondary System: PII-266, Asus P2B BIOS 1008, 1x128MB PC100 ECC SDRAM CAS2, Millennium II, 3Com 3C590, ADSL Modem 640kbit down/90kbit up, 3Com 3C509, Mylex BT-930 SCSI card, Seagate 2GB Hawk, NEC 6x CD-ROM, Linux distro S.u.S.E. 6.1 (IP Masquerade works!)

Tertiary System: DFI G568IPC Intel 430HX chipset, P200MMX, 4x64MB EDO Parity RAM, Millennium II, Intel Pro/100+ client NIC, SoundBlaster 16 MCD, Fujitsu 3.5GB HD, WD 1.2GB HD, Creative Dxr3 DVD decoder card, Hitachi GD-2500 6x DVD-ROM, Win98 SE

All specs subject to change.

The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
                      The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
                      The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

mlody,

I overclocked my old Celeron 300A to 450 by raising the core voltage to 2.2 volt using the teflon tape method. My wife (then, my girlfriend ) helped taped up the pins on the Celeron and fooled the Asus P2B for me. I was too clumsy and impatient to tape the Celeron up. The teflon is in perfect condition and still is at the right place! Just too bad the Celeron is sitting in my storage room doing nothing.

Anyway, now, I am using a PIII-500 @ 560 (112FSB) at default voltage with default Intel retail fan. Running fine thusfar. No crashes, and no weird stuff.

My PIII-500 was made this year on the 36th week, if that helps.

Good luck!

P/S I have not updated my System Details (too lazy, no time, the usual excuse), so you can go get the article that talks about taping up the Slot 1 based CPU pins).

------------------
                        JamesA who BOLDs a LOT
                        System Details

"To infinity and beyond!!" - Buzz Lightyear, Toy Story

[This message has been edited by JamesA (edited 10-08-1999).]
                        <b>JamesA</b>: Just a <b>Dumbass MURCer</b>

Comment

ABIT BE6, PIII-450, 133FSB, 2.0V, 600Mhz..

Gigabyte BX2000, PIII-600, 112FSB, 2.05V, 672Mhz..

Try the default voltage first thing. If it doesn't work, then go up.

Guyv
                          Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                          - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                          - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
                          - 6.1 Digital Audio
                          - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
                          - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
                          - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
                          - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                          - LS120 IDE Floppy
                          - Zip 100 IDE
                          - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                          - NEC FE950
                          - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

I did it with an even easier way just fitted an extra fan to case blowing cool air in now the old 500 runs nice and stable at 560.
                            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

The best part of this story is that I did all this to get my system up and running at ~600 and have a nice clean build for the new turbogl drivers, and they probably will be delayed until next week. =( Hows that ol' saying go..No Brains, No Headache..
                              Asus K7V
                              Athlon 700
                              128mb PC133 HSDRAM
                              Matrox Millennium g400max
                              Adaptec 2940U2W
                              IBM 9gb U2W
                              Plextor 8/20 cdr
                              Diamond MX300
                              3com 905b-tx

Comment

Working...
                              X