Which DVD Drive???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which DVD Drive???

Quick question for you hardware Guru's out there...

I'm getting a MAX shortly and want to know what DVD Drive I should get? The rest of my system is in my Sig...

Any ideas???

Delany

------------------
    Gigabyte GA6BX, 128MB PC100 Ram, 16MB G200 Millenium AGP, Creative Labs SBLive!, Netgear FA310TX, Sony 32X CD-Rom, Imation LS120, 5.2 & 12.7GB Quantum HD's, Everything being driven by Win98...

Bored Yet?
    ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard, Intel Core i7 2600K CPU @ 4.3GHz, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB DDR3 Ram, Pioneer DVR-219L DVDRW, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD, Western Digital Black 1TB SATA HDD, Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB, Everything being driven by Windows 10 Professional (64Bit)...

Bored Yet?

I'm using a pioneer 6x/24x slot dvd, and had no problems with dvd decoders or anything like that, plus the performance is really great. They also now have a 10x/40x version out, but it is region locked to the type of DVDs that you play on it the first few times. The 6x is regionless, so it works with any region DVD, so I think that is the better chioce.
    Get the slot version too, cuz its cooler

Comment

Ya, slot-in rUlEz!

supert, this was just the last bit of information I needed to decide to buy a pioneer DVD. So the 6x isn't region-locked? how about the 2.6x? That's the one I want, cus it only spins cd-roms at 20x...

Comment

I have a Hitachi GD-2500. Performance is excellent, the drive looks good, and it doesn't store region protection info in its firmware.

------------------
        aka Chris H

Comment

Damn this question gets old...this is about the 10th time its been re-asked.

You can watch movies on just about any dvd drive.

As for the most recommended drive, the consensus is generally, grab either: Pioneer 103/303 [ide/scsi] 6x slot load or 10x tray [ide].

If some folks would try using the messageboard search engine, it wouldn't have to get asked over n over.

Comment

rylan - it's actually 6x DVD and 32x CD-ROM access. (Not that the difference from 24 to 32x is worth noting....)

One other thing. The Pioneer 6x slot drive (great drive, btw) is region free until you remove the RPC jumper from the back. Once that's been removed the countdown from 5 changes starts. Even putting it back doesn't help. And from 1'st Jan next year, all DVD drives will be region locked, so buy now!

------------------
            Cheers,
            Steve

PS: Some or all of the above message may be wrong, or, just as likely, correct. Depends on what mood I'm in. And what you know. ;¬)

[This message has been edited by SteveC (edited 10-03-1999).]

Comment

Pioneer now has a 10x DVD 40x CD player. Price watch has them listed as DVD104 and DVD114, one is slot and one tray. Price is about $85. www.pricewatch.com

------------------
              No dummy, its rape, pilage, and THEN burn.
              No dummy, its rape, pilage, and THEN burn.

Comment

Again, do not buy the new Pioneer 10X unless you won't be watching different region DVDs. I'm thinking about getting the Toshiba 6x DVD because it has SPDIF for CDs and my current Pioneer 36x CDROM doesn't.

Comment

Hey all,
                  I have the Pioner 6x TRAY
                  Everything I've read here talk about the SLOT
                  I'm wondering does any one know if TRAY is unlocked also
                  And, what is the 'RPC jumper'
                  Sorry, I have an OEM with no DOCS

THANKS
                  Mark F.

------------------
                  OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a CD

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                  --------------------------------------------------
                  OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                  and burped out a movie

Comment

Doesn't matter which one you have. The 10X is the only one from Pioneer now that is locked. Future ones will probably be too.

Comment

The pioneer 6x dvd tray is also regionless, so you can play any region dvd on it (assuming your decoder will play them also). Its just the new 10x ones that are locked ater 5 uses.
                      Also, all new dvd players after the end of the year will be region locked due to some association passing a requirement. Most new models now are region locked too.

[This message has been edited by rylan (edited 10-04-1999).]

Comment

Thanks for the ideas guys...

Oh, and Zypher...
                        Sorry about that, I didn't even think to search...

Delany
                        ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard, Intel Core i7 2600K CPU @ 4.3GHz, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB DDR3 Ram, Pioneer DVR-219L DVDRW, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD, Western Digital Black 1TB SATA HDD, Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB, Everything being driven by Windows 10 Professional (64Bit)...

Bored Yet?

Comment

because it has SPDIF for CDs

What's that?

Comment

Sony Philips Digital InterFace
                            True digital..baby...yeah...
                            OK...OK..I'm calming down

Anyone? what is the 'RPC jumper'?
                            Sorry, I have an OEM with no DOCS

Mark F.

------------------

and burped out a movie

Comment

GamePC just did a round up of "newer' DVD
                              http://www.gamepc.com/reviews/hardwa...roundup&page=1

Pioneer 6X did pretty well

Mark F.

------------------

and burped out a movie

Comment

Working...
                              X